Waiting Lists At SKP Co-ops & Rainbow Parks

We've sent in our deposit to Hondo because that location best fits our family locations. When we visited there some time ago we asked about how long people are on the waiting list. We were told that it can take a year or two for most people, but we talked to a person who got his lot a week after he applied. We talked about The Ranch because we really liked the "feel" of the place, but it is quite a bit out of the way of our family.

Some time ago I mentioned the idea of another co-op park, perhaps in the Corpus Christi area. The best idea that came from that was that buying an existing rv park and converting it to a co-op would probably be the best way to go. If someone is interested in pursuing this idea you can PM me and we can discuss away from the general forum.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Some time ago I mentioned the idea of another co-op park, perhaps in the Corpus Christi area. The best idea that came from that was that buying an existing rv park and converting it to a co-op would probably be the best way to go. If someone is interested in pursuing this idea you can PM me and we can discuss away from the general forum.

There is nothing to prevent you from forming a group to do this sort of thing but Escapees would not be a part of it, unless the change in management has reversed those decisions. If you read Kay Peterson's book "History of the Escapees Club" it addresses their decision first to discontinue the co-op parks program and then later the dropping of the Rainbow Parks with deeded lots plan as well. Basically, it was due to possible liability to the club that could arise if a new park were to fail. But there is nothing to prevent you from organizing your own group and following the Escapee co-op model but without the ties to Escapees. We live in a co-op community in east TX that was modeled after the Escapee co-op idea by a group who were mostly club members but that wanted to be able to build small homes, rather than only RVs and park models. We have now been operating for 10 years but with no tie to the Escapees, other than having copied their idea with some expanded homes. The first thing that you would need to do is to form a group and incorporate, then look for property and funding. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk:  Thank you.  The programs here do a quite a few outings and things our son would enjoy.  Not an easy decision, but thinking long term..........  Our son really isn't interested in seeing and doing the things we do, no surprise as we are the "boring" parents.  He has been rolling his eyes at us for awhile now.

Thank you, Trostberg, I wasn't aware of The Care Center doing that.

Kansas has a layer of snow this morning!  Very cold and supposed to be 12 degrees tonight, so I guess we could be a lot of  places other rvers would avoid.  We know about "winter" rving!  

Cathy

I'll toss in one that I don't believe I saw mentioned - The Park of Sierras, Coarsegold, CA - 30 mins or so outside of the South Gate to Yosemite and Mariposa Grove. 

This is a unique park, as it's over some small hills and valleys. So you have some sites that are more traditional in the side by side configuration, some terraced going up hills. And then you can find other sites, without anyone close by, or maybe one person close to you. But also with some commanding views. It's rolling hills with Oak Trees, Manzanita. As with most Escapees COOP's, and other parks too, very active social options (If wanted, or not if that's not a person's 'thing':)!). They also have good medical close by in Fresno. We used to see volunteers in the park help those who no longer drive get into town for appointments. We were this at the park last week, and saw a medical shuttle come into the park two out of the four days we were there. But you get the idea, a friendly group, and everyone looking out for each other. 

We had site at Park of the Sierra's, which every time we visit - we wished we had kept!! (Sold as we exited California to South Dakota Domicile, to make it a cleaner break from the state.). 

The Park Manager said the waiting list was not too long. I noted at least one member was selling a Park Model, on a site, and had recently dropped the priced into the mid $20K's for that. (And I honestly don't know how that works. If no one on the waiting lists has an interest in the Park Model, perhaps that means someone just getting on - can get in and take the site, along with he Park Model(?). Plus, you still need to pay the COOP price to get in, on top of the buying of the Park Model. 

And I'll second that Evergreen's list has grown pretty long again, we put our name on the list in September, and I think we were 129. (Wish we had done that two years ago, as the list then was mid 60's level:)!) The Park Manager at Evergreen, estimated a 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 wait. 

I do not know the rules for either of these parks for you son. 

I'll share again, that at this time in California. The ARC program has multiple living Group Homes for special needs. I mentioned to you in a private PM awhile back, that mid 40's Brother In Law has been in a Group Home now for going on 5 years. We just had him here to  our house on Saturday. (Mom goes and gets him every Saturday, and spoils him up good, and even gets a hug from him from time to time too:)! He is very low functioning Down Syndrome, but such happy soul:)!). When Mom is not feeling well form time to time, we go get him, or my wife's other in town brother goes gets him. So we all tag team him so he knows we're all still around and with him. We'll pick him up on Turkey Day, one of his favorites - as he so enjoy's pumpkin pie - and he'll join the combined family at my Sister's house. 

I mention The ARC Group Homes, as Medical does cover the costs for the Consumer (Believe that is the current Buzzword in use:)!). The Fresno/Madera County area The Arc program link for you here. Might see if they have more then transitional assisted living options in their program. Or, if they know of other longer term assisted living Group Homes for Special Needs. 

I'll share that in San Diego, The Arc group here, at one time for sure had spaces reserved and opened for temporary Group Living, to allow respite for members. One couple we met about 15 years ago, would be able to go for two week 'Re-Charge' vacations, and their Daughter, MLS, always had fun and enjoyed the Group Home activities while they were away. (As normal with parents, they felt guilty the first time they tried this. And were so relieved when their Daughter was fussing about not wanting to leave the Group Home:)!)

Different chapters have different levels of service capabilities. But never hurts to call and talk and see what might be available. And POS, is a a gem of a COOP:)!

https://www.arcfresno.org

Best to you, 

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Thank you, Smitty.  I did not realize that a long waiting period would be only a couple of years in some cases, that really isn't that long.  We have had no luck in finding a residential situation for our son.  Looks like we'll continue to be campers rather than full-time rvers, but we love camping!

There is a place in Kansas called Linn Valley Lakes, a gated community with deeded lots, nothing fancy that we may check out.

Again, thanks everyone for contributing to this discussion.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Just stopped for 2 nights at SKP Saguaro in Benson, AZ. This is the friendliest campground I have ever visited. This thread accurately describes their $500 refundable deposit and $20 non-refundable fee. They do not take reservations, and there are many sites you can lease by the month at very reasonable rates. Their recently upgraded clubhouse is very nice. (NO POOL). Permanent residents (leaseholders) can have a Casita on their site. The Casita can have a bathroom but no kitchen or other appliances. (City of Benson zoning issue). What a great community spirit here...looking forward to a longer stay next year.

2 hours ago, ToddF said:

Just stopped for 2 nights at SKP Saguaro in Benson, AZ.

I think that if I had to choose one favorite co-op park, Saguaro would probably be the one, but it would be a close race. We have several friends who are leaseholders there and usually stop each time we travel to the west. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The waiting list at Florida SKP Resort in Wauchula is around 100 and takes about 6-7 years to get to the top of the list. After reaching number one you can defer joining 3 times before moving back to the end of the list.

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Archived