Waiting Lists At SKP Co-ops & Rainbow Parks

I realize I could call all of the parks we might be interested in, and may do that soon, but was wondering what others might know about the waiting lists for getting into the parks lease or deeded lots.  I am sure others wonder that are in the planning stage.  We could leave today, but am still sorting it out in our heads.  We are mid-60s with the adult son with Down syndrome who will be with us until we find a suitable program (serious doubts that will happen).  We have dreamed of full-timing since we were in our mid-30s and learned about it when we relocated for a time for a job close to Tucson.  The world of full-timing has changed since that time for sure.

For us, we need a solid "base" to return to, and one that will be where we eventually settle.  We know that The Ranch has lots available and am considering that option, it has the attraction of being the "first" and "original".   We also like AL and AZ in particular having lived in both states.

So, if anyone has been keeping track, I would appreciate any feedback.  I am just so repelled by the idea of getting another sticks & bricks.  Thanks!  

Cathy

9 minutes ago, SnowGypsy said:

I realize I could call all of the parks we might be interested in, and may do that soon, but was wondering what others might know about the waiting lists for getting into the parks lease or deeded lots.

If you visit the websites of each park, most have information of that sort available. You can find a complete listing of them here. The last that I knew the only park that has no wait list is The Ranch and their list of available lots is getting shorter. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not sure about the other co op Parks but the one in Benson AZ requires a refundable $500 deposit to get on their waiting list. If other co op also do this and you want to get on multiple lists  it could get expensive. But at least the deposit is refundable. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The co-op parks are not run the same. For instance, the Benson, AZ Saguaro park has 260 on the Wait List.  #1 got on the list in 1999.  The most recent lot was gotten by #120.

Their system is to call in on a Saturday and the lowest number calling in gets the available lot.  Evidently #1 isn't ready to take a lot yet so they don't call in.  It's a great system because you're not pressured in taking a lot.  You only call in when you're ready.  No one is ever put to the end of the list for refusal of a lot like other parks do.

Instead of calling each park you can also go online to the Escapees web site and click on each park for information as to how many are on the wait lists.  Most of the parks give that information although not all.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Depending on the park, the waiting time can be long.  We had our name in for a lot at the Co-op in Sutherlin, OR ($1,000 refundable deposit) and, at that time, the waiting list was 5-6 years.  At Sutherlin, you don't get a chance at a lot until you reach #1, unlike the Co-op in Benson, AZ.  We got down to about #25 before we finally took our name off the list because we'd come to the conclusion it just wasn't for us.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I would imagine that in order to have that happen, some individuals or investment groups will need to step up and be willing to finance a change to SKP or to build new parks.

32 minutes ago, whj469 said:

This discussion tells me that we need more space at certain parks and maybe some new ones!

Marcel

We just left Rainbow Plantation (Summerdale AL). There is 1 deeded lot with a S+B on it for sale. Otherwise, everything in the ERPU section and deeded section is full/sold. It is a wonderful location. There are several owners who rent RV lots off their deeded (owned) property. (The lots are 1/2 acre so huge). Maybe you could lease one of these on a trial basis. I was told the transient section is booked for the winter.

I visited most of the websites (Summerdale does appear to be a good location).  The 3rd adult, our son, is a problem with some, Benson being one of them, Pair-Of-Dice another - probably most co-ops.  One had a 7 year waiting list of those that actually addressed the subject on their website.

Reminder that there is a big discussion about "The Ranch" with a lot of details and links here:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/128329-rv-lots-the-original-skp-ranch/

Top picks for us would be "The Ranch" and Summerdale.  Wish we could leave today!

I am surprised that the SKP Co-ops & Rainbow Parks don't get much discussion here.

Thanks to everyone for participation!

Cathy

Historically, the residents of the parks have only sporadically posted here. Evergreen-Coho was discussed quite a bit a few years back when they were dealing with some major infrastructure issues and that caused a major turnover of memberships but they have a long wait list again now. It is one of the prettiest parks in the Escapee system

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, rpsinc said:

I would imagine that in order to have that happen, some individuals or investment groups will need to step up and be willing to finance a change to SKP or to build new parks.

I have heard discussed that the permits and other laws that have increased since the original parks were built would make it almost impossible to establish new parks similar to the affordable parks that currently exist.  I do think the park in Livingston has more land if they see a need to expand.

With the coops, there will by definition be a board of directors and self-management. (This is one of the reasons they tend to be very cheap places to park). Lower overhead (salaries)=lower costs.

One has to consider their willingness/desire to live in such a cooperative community. There are pluses and minuses.

Escapees doesn't seem to want to grow their base of parks. Hence long waiting lists. Good news is that if you want a deeded lot, there are plenty of other options out there.

Read board meeting minutes and talk to residents to get a sense of the politics, issues etc that go on.

In a sense, waiting lists are part of the co-op's business plan.  The co-op can only fulfill their promise of refunding a departing member's money when someone else replaces them, and having a waiting list ensures the turnover happens expidisously.

That being said, the major factor that's keeping Escapees from expanding the park system is current real estate law.  The changes happened as Escapees was building North Ranch and it's why it's the last new from built from scratch park in the system.

I am wondering how many of these ideas have come from discussions with key members of Escapee management? They are very available people so if you really want to know, I'd suggest you ask one of them. Escapade is probably the best opportunity. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:42 AM, SnowGypsy said:

I realize I could call all of the parks we might be interested in, and may do that soon, but was wondering what others might know about the waiting lists for getting into the parks lease or deeded lots.

I just noticed this.  Snow Gypsy, there are no waiting lists for deeded lots in the Rainbow Parks.  They're sold as individual real estate parcels by their owner and anybody can buy one when it comes on the market.

Waiting lists are used by the co-op parks and ERPU leased lots.

14 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

I'm by no means trying to speak for current management, I'm just passing on what Joe Peterson said when I asked him about future park plans back when North Ranch was being finished.

But North Ranch is not a co-op park but one of the Rainbow parks. No question that RV parks are more difficult to get past governmental regulation today in the more populated areas but there are still rural areas in some states where it could probably be done if you had someone with deep enough pockets to buy the land and a way to recruit volunteers who would buy in and then work to help build it. We live in a co-op that is patterned on the  Escapee idea but which allows small homes as long as you also have an RV pad. While the original development idea was a "life lease" situation, it was converted to a co-op in 2008 and incorporated under the laws of Texas. The founding members were nearly all members of Escapees and while we have never had any affiliation with Escapees, the idea did come from them. Rural counties of Texas have very lenient regulations and while it might be a bit more difficult today, I am quite sure that it could be done, if you had a sponsor with the needed capital and enough subscribers.

3 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

Snow Gypsy, there are no waiting lists for deeded lots in the Rainbow Parks. 

I think that she was asking about the co-op parks where the costs are far less. It seems that we were typing at the same time.

14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I think that she was asking about the co-op parks where the costs are far less.

True, but she did say "lease or deeded lot."

None of the co-ops have deeded lots.  All you're doing when you buy into one of the co-ops is purchasing a co-op membership which entitles you the use of a specified lot until you leave and sell it back to the co-op.

Rainbow parks, on the other hand do have deeded lots (like the ones in both Congress, AZ and Livingston, TX).

And then there are the ERPU lots, or renewable leases at some of the Rainbow parks.  (I could have sworn that the park in Deming, NM had ERPU lots, but according to the Escapees website, only 3 do...the one in Livingston, TX, Bushnell, FL, and Summerdale, AL.  Anyone know what happened to the ERPU lots in Deming?)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Our first interest would be in the co-ops as they appear to be a much more economical choice, and we wouldn't mind pitching in with whatever help we could when we were there.   Some of the parks definitely price us out when it comes to purchase.

Linda H:  We had our eye on the Deming ERPU because of the location, but the ERPU was discontinued there a few years ago.  I had called, but they didn't really give a reason as to why.  We really liked that idea of the 5 year renewable lease.

We have decided to try to find a suitable residential situation for our son.  He appears to be for the idea, so taking on that task next week.   

Cathy

2 hours ago, SnowGypsy said:

We have decided to try to find a suitable residential situation for our son. 

In the long term that would seem to me to be a good solution. Since your son will most likely outlive the two of you, it could prove to be a very good thing. I have a relative with downs who is now about 50 years old and she has been in a group home for about 20 years now. 

Archived