Vehicle Insurance for Commercial Truck

cwr

All,

I have a very specific insurance situation I need help with. We're full-timers with a business that's legally set up in South Dakota.

Our business owns a small box truck that travels with us (wife drives it, while I drive the RV). It is registered in South Dakota. Our current insurance company is dropping us because we're nomadic. They want it to be parked in the same place every night.

I'm finding this is the case with everyone I call. Can anyone offer any suggestions of a carrier that would be willing to insure us? It needs to be commercial since the truck is registered to the business.

Thanks!

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

Good day, Charlie.

I found that the folk at FCIS Insurance (they did a webinar with Escapees) are very knowledgeable about almost all facets of insurance. Try Bob Isbell ( Bob Isbell <BIsbell@fcisinsurance.com>) at 800.331.1520.  My feeling is that if anybody can help, they can.

Regards,

Michael

2007 Volvo VNL 670

2007 NuWa HitchHiker Champagne

2 hours ago, cwr said:

All,

I have a very specific insurance situation I need help with. We're full-timers with a business that's legally set up in South Dakota.

Our business owns a small box truck that travels with us (wife drives it, while I drive the RV). It is registered in South Dakota. Our current insurance company is dropping us because we're nomadic. They want it to be parked in the same place every night.

I'm finding this is the case with everyone I call. Can anyone offer any suggestions of a carrier that would be willing to insure us? It needs to be commercial since the truck is registered to the business.

Thanks!

I guess you conduct some type of business using that truck while on the road?  I would also guess when you talked to an insurance agent the question came up "where will the vehicle be garaged".  I'm not sure why this would be an issue with an insurance company.  There are many companies that have workers/trucks who travel all over the country that they maintain commercial insurance on.  Just because each truck doesn't return to a company home address each and every night should not make any difference.

Just consider vendors who work county and state fairs.  They travel all over the country and rarely return to their "home/business" address.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, we operate a business selling items at various events; we carry the inventory in the box truck.

I tried calling Miller already, but they said they'd only help me if I also move my 5th wheel and tow vehicle policy over to them, which I do not want to do. They typically use Progressive (which is the company that is dropping us) and National General, which I already spoke with directly and they said they also would not cover us.

FL-JOE, I agree, surely we can't be the only nomadic business out there. Insurance is such a hassle. But as soon as I explain that we travel full time and the truck is not parked in the same place for more than a few months (at most), they say they can't write the policy.

I will try calling FCIS...

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

Insurance for commercial operation can and is harder to get these days.  I have had to search for insurance numerous times.

My HDT is not a commercial vehicle and is not used for commercial operation. 

Now I have a local insurance agent that has been very helpful to obtain my work insurance. Miller Rv insurance company may be able to help. If not they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Now as the years pass the insurance has been more controlling as to what I can do and cannot do. So I do have a high limit as I do work on Newel and Prevost Conversations. Now I am authorized by several different Rv mfging companies. I tell my agent that so they know I am not someone just someone trying to do shady work.

Several years ago I had my insurance company send me a notice that they were not going provide me the style of insurance  again. So that was a hassle, but my agent was able to find another company.

When you do something out of the ordinary, things can get frustrating.

Now back in the eighties I had a blanket policy. I could weld commercially. I had a well drilling business. It covered environmental work. And back then a million dollar policy was fairly simple to get.

In the nineties we were working on restoring a 4000 sguare foot Victorian home for a bed and breakfast inn. So I called several agents. Invited them to come and look at it. Now the inside was completely restored and a commercial kitchen.

Several agent drove around the property and left. No deal when I called them back. I had not painted the outside yet.

So one company that turned us down had a local agent that I knew. He came over and called someone of importance and explained what the inside looked like. It was restored completely inside in 1890's Victorian style.

After it was painted I had two agents that I personally knew. So they kept pestering for the business. Sometimes we would change to the other.

That was frustrating to them and us. I drilled wells for both of them with my well drilling business and switch back and forth with them on the well drilling business insurance also.

So you may need to call and explain better what you are doing.

Hope this helps,   Vern

Now while I was typing my response you posted about Miller wanting your 5 r  and tow vehicle. That mite be a good thing to do.

We just went with Miller this fall. 60 percent cheaper coverage with Progressive. The old company was progressive also, but through our local agent.

Now my commercial insurance  for my business is still with the old agent. But that is not with progressive. They do not understand my business or not enough businesses to insure.

Yep it can be frustrating, I would not shoot my self in the foot. Miller might be good.

just my thought,.  Vern

Archived