Newmar fifth wheel tire and wheel dilemma

Jaydrvr

We have a new to us 2011 Kountry Aire fiver and I can't get an answer from Newmar re the wheels. Yes, I could take them off and look, but I don't currently have a location where that can be done. They're 16" dualies, but that's as far as I can get. Does anyone know the specs on these? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? I'd like to know if I can put higher pressure tires on them. TIA, Jay

I'm not sure what you need to know but here's the brochure:

https://newmarcorp-8c1e.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf-archive/2011-kountry-aire-5th.pdf

If they're the original tires you may think about getting new.  There's also a Newmar forum on iRV2.com if you need more help.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Not sure what you are looking for, but I have an '04 KA 38BSLE with duallys.  I understand that LT tires at recommended pressures are more than adequate for this trailer.  My trailer has been sitting for years and when I decide to put it on the road, I will use the same tires I use on my Duallys.  I try to get the higher load ratings that I can find,  My math tells me that would be needing about 2230# per tire capacity.  Not too hard to find that in a LT tire.

Marcel

I believe the OP is wanting to know the max psi on his stock wheels as he's considering installing better tires with a higher psi rating.  The psi rating is stamped on the inside of the wheel but you'd have to remove the tire to see it.  Someone out there must know.      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I get what he is asking.  I dont have the info he is requesting but can share what I do know.

As to Michelin XPS on a dually Newmar chassis, not really needing that high a rated tire, due to there are 8 tires.  Dont need G rated like on most other chassis.  I do run 80PSI on my truck tires and if the LTs are rated that way, then I would do the same.  Newmar Kountry Aire's are heavy trailers.  Well built so heavy as a result.  Partly why I bought it.  In the process of remodeling it to make it a park model.

Marcel

Thanks, guys. Specifically looking for psi rating, plus in my experience dually rims are often the same as used by say, Ford or Chevy. I had a 48' flatbed and the rims were actually Ford rims. I'm quite aware of the weight of the unit and the capacity of the generic 16" trailer tire, I just really am much more comfortable with a LOT of reserve capacity. Not running them near their limits, just for my piece of mind. Thanks, Jay.

Psi or load capacity is often stamped on the inside of the rim. Usually but not always were you can see it if you pull the rim off the trailer. Ford rims have a larger center than Chevy but the bolt pattern is the same. But not some years and models. I have been told Dodge is the same as Chevy but has a pin? Are you looking to set up a spare?

21 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Psi or load capacity is often stamped on the inside of the rim. Usually but not always were you can see it if you pull the rim off the trailer. Ford rims have a larger center than Chevy but the bolt pattern is the same. But not some years and models. I have been told Dodge is the same as Chevy but has a pin? Are you looking to set up a spare?

I DO need a spare, but my primary goal is to get these junk tires off and get good tires before we go on a long trip. Need to know psi rating of the wheels.

I have 7k axles but the rims were 110 psi,it's been 4 months so don't bet the farm on my memory, they were not stamped with psi but were stamped with max load so a little research and I was able to determine the psi.  I can't remember if it was on the flat inner radius or the "spoke" portion but it was there.  How many psi were you running in the current tires and was it enough? Heavy, higher psi, tires don't have to be run at higher pressures if it is not necessary.  I feel a heavy duty tire will work better at the max pressure of a lighter tire than the liter tire will. If you chalk a line across the tread of a tire and then drive it a little way straight the line will show you if you are under, over or just right on psi. Less chalk on center over inflated and so on.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:53 PM, Lance A Lott said:

I have 7k axles but the rims were 110 psi,it's been 4 months so don't bet the farm on my memory, they were not stamped with psi but were stamped with max load so a little research and I was able to determine the psi.  I can't remember if it was on the flat inner radius or the "spoke" portion but it was there.  How many psi were you running in the current tires and was it enough? Heavy, higher psi, tires don't have to be run at higher pressures if it is not necessary.  I feel a heavy duty tire will work better at the max pressure of a lighter tire than the liter tire will. If you chalk a line across the tread of a tire and then drive it a little way straight the line will show you if you are under, over or just right on psi. Less chalk on center over inflated and so on.

I agree heavier duty tires are always better. The current tires are new but cheap trailer type tires. I don't think they're very safe at 80 psi, or at any level. I'm planning to use them for short trips in state, but likely get beefier ones for long distance travel.

• 3 weeks later...

As to the interchangeability with oem "dually" pickup wheels the OP asked about.  All trailer dual wheels will have the 8x6.5" (8x165.1mm) bolt pattern.  The offsets may vary slightly from one oem brand to another and vs. a trailer wheel, but all are close enough to not know the difference in this sort of application.  The only practical difference is the center bore.  Chevy/GMC 2000-older is 4.56" (116mm), Chevy/GMC 2001-2010 4.60" (117mm), Dodge all years 4.77" (121mm), and Ford 1998-older 4.88" (124mm).  All the newer Ford/Chevy/GMC use a metric bolt pattern and are not compatible.  All the oem pickup dually wheels will have an 80psi rating matching the load range E tires that would be the max those came equipped with.

We have been selling aftermarket aluminum dually (pickup) wheels for 20+ years, and on the past occasions we have run into guys that wanted to run aluminum wheels on their tandem dual equipment trailers they have all been the larger 4.88" hub equivalent to the 1998-older Ford.  I had not run into a past customer with a tandem dual fifth wheel RV, those are relatively rare. 

Scrap kind of surprised me with the sticker on his wheels with the 4.75" center bore (pilot diameter) on his wheels.  Which made me curious so I did a little online research, and can't find anything at all on dexter wheels, either they no longer make wheels or that was just a sticker they put on another brand of wheels back then.  There is a "Dexstar" (kind of a ripoff name) which makes trailer wheels out of Elkhart.  They list part numbers for both the 4.88" center bore I am used to and the 4.75" center bore on Scrap's trailer.  So I would definitely suggest you mic the center hole on your wheels before buying a spare.

16 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

As to the interchangeability with oem "dually" pickup wheels the OP asked about.  All trailer dual wheels will have the 8x6.5" (8x165.1mm) bolt pattern.  The offsets may vary slightly from one oem brand to another and vs. a trailer wheel, but all are close enough to not know the difference in this sort of application.  The only practical difference is the center bore.  Chevy/GMC 2000-older is 4.56" (116mm), Chevy/GMC 2001-2010 4.60" (117mm), Dodge all years 4.77" (121mm), and Ford 1998-older 4.88" (124mm).  All the newer Ford/Chevy/GMC use a metric bolt pattern and are not compatible.  All the oem pickup dually wheels will have an 80psi rating matching the load range E tires that would be the max those came equipped with.

We have been selling aftermarket aluminum dually (pickup) wheels for 20+ years, and on the past occasions we have run into guys that wanted to run aluminum wheels on their tandem dual equipment trailers they have all been the larger 4.88" hub equivalent to the 1998-older Ford.  I had not run into a past customer with a tandem dual fifth wheel RV, those are relatively rare. 

Scrap kind of surprised me with the sticker on his wheels with the 4.75" center bore (pilot diameter) on his wheels.  Which made me curious so I did a little online research, and can't find anything at all on dexter wheels, either they no longer make wheels or that was just a sticker they put on another brand of wheels back then.  There is a "Dexstar" (kind of a ripoff name) which makes trailer wheels out of Elkhart.  They list part numbers for both the 4.88" center bore I am used to and the 4.75" center bore on Scrap's trailer.  So I would definitely suggest you mic the center hole on your wheels before buying a spare.

Thanks, Hot Rod. This is EXACTLY the sort of information I was hoping to see. I knew someone here would have extensive knowledge in this field. I'll pull a wheel and measure the center hole and go from there. By the way, if my memory is right, Dexstar is just the new name for Dexter after they were sold. Thanks much for your input. Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think anyone has mentioned height & width requirements for the replacement tires. Very important with dual assembly fitments. 

Wheels/rims do not require markings for their weight and psi ratings. OEM providers normally require such markings from the manufacturers. Some rims will be limited by weight and PSI restrictions. Others will just be limited by weight restrictions. Those may be inflated to whatever PSI is required for them to provide their maximum load capacity. The only way to get a valid answer about wheels not marked is to ask the wheel manufacturer. They are required to provide such information. You should also validate any wheel off-set. Almost all trailer wheel fitments require zero off-set.

Remember to use the derated dual fitment load values for the replacement tires. Tires without a dual rating should not be used.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

On 11/5/2018 at 2:24 PM, geodog said:

I would put Michelin XPS Ribs in 235-85 R 16 on it and run at 85psi.

ShortyO

X2 on XPS Ribs! But I have run them at 65 PSI for years. (Michelin weight charts and actual wheel weights specify 60 PSI )

Due for a new set next year and I'll definitely buy XPS Ribs again.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived