Totally Off Topic - Just Need Some Smart Ideas

SuiteSuccess

Ok nothing to do with trucks so read no further if you’re looking for truck stuff.  Wife wants me to build her a sewing/quilting table 3’ x 6’  or maybe 4’ x 8’.  I have the plans in my head but two things I need help with.  I need the whole table to raise and lower in height, so was thinking of a hydraulic or  pump up system like a barbers chair with cylinders on each leg but don’t know a source for such a system that wouldn’t break the bank.  An electric system would work also but the table must stay level.  Second issue is a cut proof & heat proof surface so she can cut material and iron it on the same surface.  When raised the table works for standing for cutting/ironing, when lowered works for sitting and sewing,  Any ideas?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5 minutes ago, Quickthrotl said:

How about using linear actuators

Good thought.  Cheapest I could find was about $70/piece.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, I expect you've see adjustable plastic tables. They usually have a VERY basic adjusting system. You could swap the plastic for say two pieces of 1" x whatever with groves (dadoes?) cut every inch or so. For the legs, a center pivot so that the table has a range of motion suitable to DWs needs. Just a thought.

Possibly the old drafting tables we used 50 years ago would work if you can find one.  I believe they tilted and went up and down.  Do a search for table lifts but I bet Georgia Hybrid could come up with something elegant.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

5 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Amazon... Just add a top piece to give you the "heat proofness"!

Have seen that before.  She’s using regular folding table now and says it’s too “flimsy”.  Besides you have to perk up when wife wants you to build something.  Chance for some new tools and to get bloody (I can’t do a project without bleeding sometimes during it).  Kinda makes me feel like Tim the Tool Man 😊

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Giant Move MP-EA22 Heavy Duty Lift Table, 500 lb. Capacity, 28.5" Maximum Table Height, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BSVZJQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hdj4Bb5GMQ7G2 at a top and a base to make it the right hight. They also have a lawn mower lift for $89. 

You shoild have plenty of opportunity for blood and tools nythe time you get it working. 

I have seen the same idea but you lift it up and the moving side sets in notches. Have fun.

Georgia Hybrid & Elegant. Byhahahahahahahahahaha  ??? Huh, oh, whoops, didn't mean to do that out loud...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

2 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Thanks Lance.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, adept99 said:

Georgia Hybrid & Elegant. Byhahahahahahahahahaha  ??? Huh, oh, whoops, didn't mean to do that out loud...

Now he can be elegant. Bawhahaha!  Sorry it does kind of slip out doesn’t it 😂

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Cute.....

Wish I had known you needed one Carl. I gave away my old hydraulic lift and tilt drafting table about a month ago just to get it out of the office.

They are basically a 4 link with two large hydraulic struts to help position the table. Add a gear and rack to position it vertically and then a locking tilt system.

Simple isn't it?

Do a search for a 1950's Hamilton, hydraulic lift drafting table. It also had a flat reference table on the back side. They also made an electric lift model as well that would work if you can find one.

Another option would be a normal, hydraulic lift table and build an adjustable top for Donna to use.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Cute.....

Wish I had known you needed one Carl. I gave away my old hydraulic lift and tilt drafting table about a month ago just to get it out of the office.

They are basically a 4 link with two large hydraulic struts to help position the table. Add a gear and rack to position it vertically and then a locking tilt system.

Simple isn't it?

Do a search for a 1950's Hamilton, hydraulic lift drafting table. It also had a flat reference table on the back side. They also made an electric lift model as well that would work if you can find one.

Another option would be a normal, hydraulic lift table and build an adjustable top for Donna to use.

Story of my life.  A day late and a dollar short.  (BTW hope DW is doing well.)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Have a Boeing drafting table from 747 initial design project in the shop storage loft.......still had some old 747 drawings in the Huge H size drawers.......has a table the size of a king size bed and it has a variable-ratio-grosser-wheel-counter-weighted-torsion-tube-trailing-link-intel-tilt-foot-controlled ...... Table.....

Only Boeing.......  .this thing cost more than a 747 but hey it's about the same size........make offer.....you move it....

Drive on.......($ewing is so ...... easy)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

Have a Boeing drafting table from 747 initial design project in the shop storage loft.......still had some old 747 drawings in the Huge H size drawers.......has a table the size of a king size bed and it has a variable-ratio-grosser-wheel-counter-weighted-torsion-tube-trailing-link-intel-tilt-foot-controlled ...... Table.....

Only Boeing.......  .this thing cost more than a 747 but hey it's about the same size........make offer.....you move it....

Drive on.......($ewing is so ...... easy)

Dolly,

Thanks for the offer but buying, moving, or shipping would be more than I can get one custom built for.  Oregon to Tennessee, hmm that might be interesting drive during winter?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

37 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Sitting in Dr office, you could build something like this out of metal or wood. It doesn't self adjust.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112615420762

That’s interesting. Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, lockmup68 said:

That just may be the ticket.  Thanks so much.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

38 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

The one lockmup68 found looks good!

Sure does.  Showed to wife and she liked the idea.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived