RV Wire Color

dewilso

While white is more common for the +12 V, nearly all wires of any color will be +12V because the frame of the RV is used for the return side of circuits. Anything that is a distance from a metal part will have a wire from it to a metal part to supply the return and that wire will probably be black, but there is no uniform wire color code for  RV wiring.

There is also a standard color code for the connection to the tow vehicle if that is what you are seeking. 

The 120V side the standard codes are usually applied because they use commonly available electrical items. Thus, black or red will be 120V and white will be neutral with green as ground. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As Kirk said, different mfgrs use different colors. For instance, Winnebago MH's use yellow for positive, white for ground. Testing is the only way to know.

For general information, over 80% of all 12 VDC problems are the result of a poor or missing ground.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Dewilso, great question HOWEVER with sooooooooooo many manufacturers and having seen soooooooooooooooo many different color wires used  (48 year RV owner) I WOULDNT WANT TO BET MUCH ON ONE "RIGHT" OR WRONG ANSWER LOL

On some Ive seen Red + and Black -,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,On others Ive seen Black + and White -,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Often Ive seen Green almost always the -,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Heck Ive seen most anything used lol  FWIW   "Typically" (maybe not always) its the HOT + side that is switched versus switching the ground. In any circuits I wire myself I place the circuit breaker or fuse on the HOT + as well as any necessary switches and don't switch the Ground. 

You pretty well have to use a meter to actually know the correct answer, that's easy peasy

John T 

Thanks for your replies. Geeze, John 48 yrs! Got me beat, 41yrs with motorhomes.

I thought that maybe, just MAYBE that the RV industry had come around to a standard...on SOMETHING, other than quality.

My son recently bought a late model pull behind that eats batteries. I'm not near, but he says his converter is wired as black +. I guess I’ll have to teach him how to use a meter.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

2 hours ago, dewilso said:

Geeze, John 48 yrs! Got me beat, 41yrs with motorhomes.

All 48 years haven't been motorhomes lol. I've owned Trucks Campers,,,,,,,Trailers,,,,,,,,,,Class  A, B, and C Motorhomes. Its hard to believe the factory would wire a converter wrong ??? Indeed a simple even cheap (sometimes free) Harbor Freight meter will tell the tale. If a battery is allowed to become discharged over 50% often and/or sits long in a discharged state they can indeed deteriorate fast. Nt so much nowadays but in years past the old cheap DUMB more like constant voltage Chargers would cook the batteries dry if left on and unattended for days n days on end. I buy some of the tiny panel volt meters that stay permanent on a battery so I can monitor their levels. Of course proper electrolyte levels (if on a wet cell) is a MUST

Nice chattin with you

John T

25 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

We bought our first RV in 1972, a used popup

Wow Kirk, were very similar, my first RV was a (well lol) used truck camper I bought for $50 in 1970, mounted it on back of a 1966 Ford 4x4 and took it to Florida in 70 or 71.  We have both come a longgggggggg way since huh and have had great careers in a field we truly enjoyed. I have enjoyed the electrical and electronic hobby and making repairs as well as working at it professionally (and RV repairs when I was a used dealer) since I hung out in TV shops in the late fifties early sixties bugging and asking questions of the service techs and saving money to buy my own Simpson 260 in High School lol. I still love those old trusty reliable analog  meters...………..

I'm headed to your state soon, Marshall and Longview and Livingston Texas SKP Headquarters yayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

As always fun chatting with you, tale care my friend.

John T

12 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

I'm headed to your state soon, Marshall and Longview and Livingston Texas

Our first was a much more expensive as we paid $200 for a Bethney TP Topper. We are about 50 miles west of Longview and just off of I-20.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived