Class A Non commercial drivers lisense

dosbeagles

Hi,  we are considering getting a 5thwheel.  Everything I keep reading makes me convinced I will need a class A non commercial license.   My question is how do you practice  and take the skills test if you don't own the 5thwheel and truck, but you can't drive the 5thwheel and truck without the lisense.   We are not new to rving but new to 5thwheels.  Our last rv was a 40' class A that we towed a car behind.  No need for the non commercial license. I have looked up rv driving schools and everyone will teach you in your rv.

Thanks

Chris

Chris & Joni
The Beagles now 3 Daphne, Ace and Flash
looking
2016 Acura MDX

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

Every state is deferent. Most states don’t require a Class A non commercial liscense for a 5er only a Class A over 25,000 LB’s. When I was still a Calif resident I purchased a 5er and had to get a fifth wheel endorsement, like a motorcycle endorsement. I went to the DMV and they were clueless and had to call Sacramento. Check with your State for your states requirements. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Even though you aren't considering an HDT, you can check the HHRV Resource Guide fir a list of Driver's License Requirements by state.

The rules are is your residence license state determines what you need and is legal in all the other states.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Some states (maybe all) require a Class A Non-CDL if you are pulling more than 10,000 pounds GVW.

Since you had a 40' Class A most of driving a truck and towing the FW will be common in law. Hands on experience different in corners and backing. A large lot to practice a bit should have you ready for the test pending the state

Clay 

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

License requirements are very much determined by the state issuing the license.  We live in Colorado and a regular drivers license covers all recreational requirements.  A 16 year old can drive a HDT with a trailer when used and licensed for RV use.  Others states may require an upgraded license.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

first in what state are you legally registered in?

second go online to the dmv book.

your states road law book ( the one the tickets are out of).

if possable ( not great replys. but ask a dot officer in your state).

but for most pending weight and length a class C will do the job.

getting a class A non commercial is really easy if you know how to back up and park, no need for air brake, tanker, haz mat, or even doubles. ( enless you think you might want to pull a small trailer behind).

might even check with a school in your area. the cheap ones only use "bob-tail trucks with a 10 ton trailer to get a class A.

you say you have been driving a classa a rv ? so other than a bit of training for back up and knowlage your covered in what you know and can do.

It looks like you are a CA resident, but I can't confirm that.  If you are, here is the applicable code section for license requirements - 12804.9 CVC.

Basically, it says you can tow any trailer up to 10000 lbs with a regular class C license.  You can tow an RV 5th wheel between 10000 lbs and 15000 lbs with an endorsement on the class C license.  This endorsement is a written test only and requires no hands on application test.  Any RV 5th wheel over 15000 lbs requires a class A non commercial license.  This is both a written and a skills (hands on driving) test.  The weights are what the trailer is rated (GVWR), not what it actually weighs.

12509(f) CVC -   The department may also issue an instruction permit to a person who has been issued a valid driver's license to authorize the person to obtain driver training instruction and to practice that instruction in order to obtain another class of driver's license or an endorsement.  

Basically, the DMV can issue you an instruction permit for a higher class of license to allow you to practice before you get the higher class license.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We purchased our fifth wheel in California, ignored the license requirement for the few months we were still there.  Left California when we finally went full time, went to South Dakota and re-registered the vehicles and got our new drivers license, which in SD is good for any RV, and I'm sure there may be an exception, but have not heard of any.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind the DMV personnel are not trying to catch bad guys, just trying to do their job.  In TX, been mentioned several times that DMV/DPS license testers have said they "are not looking for that type of problem."  Some other states may be tougher.  I have my A exempt driving test set for this coming Wed and don't anticipate any concern that I don't already have the endorsement so that I can drive to test for the endorsement...

Archived