Roof reseal costings

Runroblarun

This a rubber roof or otherwise?? I've had good luck with Hengs roof coating products on rubber BUT I NEVER LIKE SILICONE in a roof application, Dicor Lap sealant is my preference and Eterna Bond Tape as and where needed. If one wanted to take more time labor and expense yet still DIY the Dicor line of products where you clean and prepare coat the entire roof would be my choice unless you want it done professionally, which although expensive, may be a good long term solution.

Sorry no idea of the cost if professionally done, Hengs DIY coatings are relatively inexpensive while a complete still DIY Dicor system (clean, prep, coat) costs more, but neither of those are gonna set you back all that much AND I CONSIDER IT AS PREVENTIVE MAINETNANCE  REGARDLESS. Even a small roof leak over time can trash the entire roof system grrrrrrrrrrr you just cant allow that to happen.

Good luck let us know what route you take, Im NOT any roof expert see what the true roof experts have to say. I still believe a good proper cleaning and prep is a MUST regardless what you do

John T   Live from Little Rock headed to Hot Springs Arkansas today

When you reseal the roof, I was wondering, do you first need to remove the old sealant (Dicor?)?  If so, how do you remove it without damaging the rubber roof?  Or do you just clean well and apply over the old sealant?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

John, did you use some kind  of cleaner or other chemical prep with the Hengs? I can't do roofs anymore and I paid a guy that should have known and purported to have used Hengs with good results.  In my case it did not stand up and has caused me problems within less than a year of application.  I am trying to understand what might have caused this.  He did a pressure wash prior to applications.  I know  you sure want to get it rigght the first time.

18 hours ago, Runroblarun said:

My plan was to see where it looks like there's any potential for leakage, then remove all the sealant in that area, rough up the other stuff and it looks like I'll use that bond tape for the joins, right?

The cleaning of the caulking from the area is a good idea, but don't do the "rough up" as it will damage the surface of the RV. You haven't said what kind of roof materials you have but most common would be either EDPM or fiberglass. Any good self-leveling caulking that is made for EDPM will work. While I have always used Dicor, there are others that seem to have just as good reputations. Once that is done and cured, many members of these forums have reported excellent service from EternaBond tape products which I have never used but am about to apply.

If your RV has an EDPM roof membrane you need to use caution in what you apply as the wrong product could either damage the membrane or even if it doesn't it might void the warranty on the membrane which is usually around 10 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

John, did you use some kind  of cleaner or other chemical prep with the Hengs?

Jim FWIW an RV dealer told me to clean with dry powder base detergent NEVER the liquid soaps or car wash in a bottle type products.  Followed, of course, by a long hot sun dry time. Maybe Comet powder cleanser or bar keepers friend dry powder detergent ??? Its my experience its left over dirt or grime or residue that causes Hengs or other coatings not to adhere. While I like Hengs as its DIY and not too expensive, I suspect some of the more complicated and more expensive yet still DIY products might be better.

Again, I'm not real roof experienced so don't bet the farm on what methods I've used. Still FWIW I agree don't do any sanding scraping or rouging up that delicate rubber roof surface, ONLY good cleaning and Eterna Bond tape and Dicor if and where needed then the Hengs or other similar products. Its sure looks nice n white n pretty after that but it don't stay that way long lol. With four 39 x 64 solar panels on top my small 29 Ft Class C that's about all that's visible lol  

John T  Still live from Hot Springs working my way towards SKP headquarters in Livingston Texas then Austin where my favorite daughter lives, see any of you there ????

Didn't mean to hi jack some one else's thread but I really wanted a perspective from someone else that has used it.  I speculate/wag that a factor in my situtuation may have been the local municipal water used.  This water is bacically safe but it has a lot of suspended calcium ? like minerals in it. IE: if you boil a measuring cup of water in the microwave then pour off the liquid there is serious calcium ? left on the glass. Same of course to pot of water boiled.  I am able to reach the edges up to arms length from an 8ft step ladder and am using eternabond where I can but it is a real chore cleaning the spot I apply it to get good adhesion from the eternabond.  I am prescrubbing with alcohol then rinse and letting it dry before applying the eternabond. I would considered going over with something liquid product like Hengs or even Hengs if I could make it work right. I could reach most of it with an extension handle with a roller if I could get it prepped properly.  In truth  I am just trying to hold this rig together for 6-more months at maximum I estimate. Some of lifes schedules are being a challenge for me at present. This trailer doesn't make sense to put much money into as the water heater is dead , the frig is dead, and a few other things are dead and I can adapt but I can't be having no leaking roof.  Thanks for your viewpoint and insight  johnt and I  hope this will be usefull to others.

Thanks for all the contributions guys - and bigjim - no need to worrying about anything - you didn't hijack and quite often on threads like these, the tangents often contain useful information as well. You guys are all great! P.S. If anyone wants to buy the RV 4k under list at 11,999, I just want to get rid now - too much hassle being in the UK! :D At least you'll have a self-fixable job on the roof!

Archived