New tires

jblo

My '15 Mobile Suites tires were GY G-114s--each time I looked them over, the treads looked odd, but in different places each time. Have read many posts on other forums about tread separations on these tires and they are 4+ years old. Decided to replace them--wanted Sailuns like I had on old Suites, but could not come up with them easily in Livingston.  Checked with Premier Tire in downtown Livingston--got 4 Cooper RM170s/LR J/60006lbs each for $990 mounted, balanced, taxes and old tire disposal.  This included a $25/tire Escapees discount.  If any of you are in the Livingston area and are shopping tires, might want to check with John Crenshaw.  He is familiar with RV needs and has a large toyhauler.  Thought this might help someone later.

Joe

I haven't read any forums stating GY G114 (17.5" H rated) tires have a separation problem.  I have had two sets of these tires the last 10 years and had no problems in tens of thousands of miles.  I have read lots about GY G614 (16" G rated) tires and experienced problems with a set 10+ years ago.     Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Couple on the Thor DRV and one the IRV2 forums.  Not meaning to dis GY, but obvious mine were having belt problems. Lots of 114s around not having any trouble. Kind of odd, but had tread separations on 2 of 4 on Michelin XTAs?  (LR Js) that were on my old Suites. Just thought for 1/2 price of GYs, I'd give the Coopers a shot.

Also upped rating from H to J

Image may contain: car
Found one on DRV Owners Group...one of mine was really looking funky and this pic scared the heck out of me.

We had two of our tires (GY G114s) on our '15 MS go bad while on a trip last month in the UP of Michigan.  Both were ply separations, I called GY and filed a claim.  We were directed to a GY dealer in Marquette MI for adjustment and replacement.  The tires weren't that bad but I didn't want to chance driving back to SE Wisconsin on "bad" tires. I had all 4 tires replaced. I've heard of at least one other Mobile Suites owner with ply sep problems, he directed me to contact GY to file a claim.

Dan

LDSP.jpg

Interesting.  I don't recall anyone of our HitchHiker friends or owners on the NuWa Owners Forum having a G114 tire separation problems.  Many of us have these tires.  In May I had Sailuns replace our second set of G114 tires as they aged out.  The Sailuns were $900 installed vs $2200 for GY G114s, BIG price difference.  We are not traveling near as much anymore and the Sailuns have a good reputation.    Greg   

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I also was looking to put Sailuns on, but they do not have a recommended installer in the area. Had great luck with them on my last Suites. One thing I did was go to 235s instead of 215s for the available load factor, but still with the same psi.  I think you will be well-served by the Sailuns.  Assuming the Sailuns or my Coopers will last the 4 years, I can buy another set for the cost of the GYs.

The 114s were all dated 01/14, and just finished putting 15000 miles on them--but having seen the pics on other forums, it got to be a constant worry (would have been the same with another brand, same circumstances) and just needed to quit worrying. Had had the suspension serviced in Sept by Morryde and they said alignment was ok, so it wasn't that causing the odd tread patterns.

My neighbor has a small trucking comp and a auto garage, tire dealership, and he hates trailer tires. he claims that when a trailer sits air seeps through the casing portion of the tire and gets caught under the tread and then when you drive it heats up and expands separating the tread from the casing. I have not lost the tread like the ones pictured but I have had them seperate all the way around. This happened to me last year in a Walmart parking lot. I had to turn around very sharply so could be sure no one would block me in, I heard the air start to come out of the tire about 3/4 of the way around. I just kept going and drove around to the tire center. Of Course no Trailer tires available, so I put a LT on the spair, matches the one ton.

This year I put on 4 Sailuns 235-85-16. 

1 hour ago, jblo said:

This is wingnut60 on the other forums...can't seem to get my username changed here to be consistent across the forums.

Joe

I edited my name when I first made my account, I think it said you could only change it every so often.

I have Bridgestone R250’s on a toyhauler - 3 axle - 6 tires would carry about 14000lbs at max rated trailer weight which I don’t do - more like 13000. They are working well. They are Q rated 99mph if you are in a hurry to git there.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Bring you passports and if you go nowhere else in MX, stay in Deming, cross the border into  Palomas and have lunch at the Pink Store. It's worth the trip. Just type in Pink Store, Palomas, and you will see all the great reviews. 

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Dan,

3 of the 4 tires had similar scuffs/cuts/indents. Some days, the individual tread surfaces were at different levels--very distinctive. I feel fortunate to not have had one strip off while towing at speed. GY makes a LOT of these tires, but even considering the volume, seems to be a consistent problem with the 114s. Not worth depending on GY to make good on any damages.  But, at 4 years/lots of heavily-loaded miles, might have happened with another brand.

Joe

On 11/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, Dapperdan said:

Ha ha ha ha  OK Joe.  👍

Here's a picture of one of my tires.........

Dan

RVTire.jpg

Looks like the front tire, on my truck, I removed front my truck last winter. I don't remember the date code but a early xx14 It was a GY G670 size 255 70r2.5. I was told that was a belt separation at 32,000 mile.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Not to high jack your thread Joe but I have a short tire story.  I replaced all 4 of my tires on our Suites Oct 1st after filing a claim with GY, that was on a Monday.  I discovered the unusual wear by the time we arrived in Manistique MI (tires were good at the beginning of our trip) a week earlier, that's when I contacted GY.  My experience with GY was good and fair I feel.  We paid $1k for 4 tires out the door.  The following Thursday (10/4) we had a break in the weather as it had been raining a lot up in the UP and decided to check out the colors near Marquette MI.  While on CR 510 outside of Marquette I "located" a rock or large piece of wood, not sure as I NEVER saw what I hit but I took out the outside right rear tire!  Best part of it was I just had 4 new tires (Michelins MS2s) put on the back of the truck in May.  There wasn't even 4k miles on those tires!!!!    Just DARN it!!!!!   😡

Dan

reartire1.jpg

reartire2.jpg

LDSP.jpg

Dapperdan I have one of my tires that is wearing similar to yours. The inside and outside are wore down like that. When I fueled up a guy from the tire shop came over to drum up business and told me I had a separation. I said ok, I’ll take care of it. About 1000 miles later I rebuilt all the brakes, rotors and bearings on my rv. That wheel bearing was a little loose. I have since put about 3000 more miles on it and no trouble from that tire.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Been a shop/truck stop in UT known for finding 'problems' with tires and selling new ones, just was wondering where this was.

Dan,

That's a beautiful pic of the truck/trailer bringing out the colors...was that Lost Dutchman Campground?

I think I was at,that shop guy came around in a golf cart. Trailer tires looked the same as when we left home. He made the wife worry as I had regular car tires on the trailer I had planed on replacing the tires during the trip, and as I refused the price for new he found used ones turned out three were fine.

Yeah Joe, Lost Dutchman.  We love that area!

Our trailer tires looked fine when we left Southeast WI. By the time we arrived in Manistique I could clearly see weird tire wear. I really didn’t think it was alignment issues as we had 2” risers put in at MORryde in August of 2016 and suspension was aligned at that time. GY determined ply separation, I probably could’ve finished out the trip on those tires but I “was” going to switch out the tires at the end of the season next year anyway.  All is good now. 

Dan

LDSP.jpg

Archived