January travel near the border

jerryneal

Joan and I have plans to travel near the US Mexican border in January and February with stops in in Deming, Las Cruces, Tucson on the way to Vegas.  So many places on the bucket list we want to visit.  First RV trip to the area, so we're not familiar with the layout. But, with all the news from sourth of the border and possible military presence, is this trip a bust?  I truely don't want to start a political rant, but would greatly appreciate your travel comments.   Thanks much, Jerry

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Your route that you mention is along I-10 which is a major us route with steady traffic and law enforcement. Nothing to be concerned with as it isn't right at the border.  It is probably too early to predict what impact all of the caravans and such will have on the border towns so you may want to check that when you get into the area. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Born and raised in El Paso, my family is from Cruces. 

A couple of recommendations;

We stay at Shady Acres in Cruces when we are there for several days. It's off the highway and very convenient for us. If it's just overnight then the Hacienda or the KOA are good and right on the highway.

You have to go to old Mesilla it's a great place and I would recommend the La Posta restaurant highly. 

My favorite restaurant is Chope's Bar & Grill down the old Highway a few miles in La Mesa, NM.

On a side note and I am not speaking for anyone other than ourselves, we base out of Cruces and do not stay in El Paso. 

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

At some of those border patrol check points on IH 10 they do let the drug dogs sniff your transportation. Willie Nelson and a famous rapper, sorry I don't remember his name, were charged with having pot as they passed thru in their busses. That was a few years ago. Please be careful if you have anything. Have a great trip!

Escapees has an RV Park in Demin NM, it’s called the Dream Catcher. All FHU pull thru sites for about $25. Not much there but a good 1 or 2 night stop. It’s right off I-10. Also Benson AZ  south of Tucson has an Escapees Co-Op Park, Saguaro. One of the best parks in the Escapees system. It too is just of I-10. It is very near Kartcher Caverns State Park and Tombstone AZ as well as Bisbe. Tucson is only 45 miles north and has lots of things to do too. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

My winter ranch is SE of Deming, at the base of the Florida Mountains, about 18 miles from the border. This area has received stepped up enforcement over the last 10 years and is no longer a favored route for people or drugs. Most of the traffic has moved further east or west. The popular crossing route these days seems to be from the NM/AZ border west to Tucson. 

The Deming/Columbus border crossing to Palomas Mx is a very popular & safe area during daylight. Park your vehicle on the US side and walk over the border (with some type of photo ID or your passport to show on return). Deming locals, tourists and winter RV'ers all cross over frequently to have lunch or margaritas at the Pink Store or visit other shops, pharmacies, etc on the Mexican side. Many Mexican children from Palomas cross over daily to attend school in Columbus. 

I ride my ATV out in the desert between my ranch & the border all winter. These days I never see any illegals in the area. I am on a first name basis with the Border Patrol because my ATV riding sets off some of their electronic motion sensors in the area. They also have a long distance night vision camera mounted up on the Florida Mountains that they monitor remotely for night time traffic. 

Lots to see & do in the area, don't skip it. Do be prepared for cold nights in Jan/Feb. The days will be sunny & pleasant, but overnight our Jan/Feb temps drop 30-40 degrees overnight. 

This winter I'm headed to Florida or I'd offer to give you a tour of the area.

Jim

No need to be any more concerned then any other part of the country.    If and when the Boarder Partrol  either stops ya or you go thru the check points just answer the two main questions 1. Are there more then just you one/two in this vehicle? 2. Are you  a US citizen?    

Go - Enjoy

8 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Las Cruses?

Kirk he spelled it right and is is Cruces.

http://www.las-cruces.org/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

14 hours ago, DKRITTER said:

Born and raised in El Paso, my family is from Cruces. 

A couple of recommendations;

We stay at Shady Acres in Cruces when we are there for several days. It's off the highway and very convenient for us. If it's just overnight then the Hacienda or the KOA are good and right on the highway.

You have to go to old Mesilla it's a great place and I would recommend the La Posta restaurant highly. 

My favorite restaurant is Chope's Bar & Grill down the old Highway a few miles in La Mesa, NM.

On a side note and I am not speaking for anyone other than ourselves, we base out of Cruces and do not stay in El Paso. 

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations.   

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

12 hours ago, whj469 said:

At some of those border patrol check points on IH 10 they do let the drug dogs sniff your transportation. Willie Nelson and a famous rapper, sorry I don't remember his name, were charged with having pot as they passed thru in their busses. That was a few years ago. Please be careful if you have anything. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the heads up, but no issues on the herbal recreation..

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Escapees has an RV Park in Demin NM, it’s called the Dream Catcher. All FHU pull thru sites for about $25. Not much there but a good 1 or 2 night stop. It’s right off I-10. Also Benson AZ  south of Tucson has an Escapees Co-Op Park, Saguaro. One of the best parks in the Escapees system. It too is just of I-10. It is very near Kartcher Caverns State Park and Tombstone AZ as well as Bisbe. Tucson is only 45 miles north and has lots of things to do too. 

Thanks for the tip.  Already made reservations.  Looking forward to the stop for a few days. 

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

6 hours ago, JRP said:

My winter ranch is SE of Deming, at the base of the Florida Mountains, about 18 miles from the border. This area has received stepped up enforcement over the last 10 years and is no longer a favored route for people or drugs. Most of the traffic has moved further east or west. The popular crossing route these days seems to be from the NM/AZ border west to Tucson. 

The Deming/Columbus border crossing to Palomas Mx is a very popular & safe area during daylight. Park your vehicle on the US side and walk over the border (with some type of photo ID or your passport to show on return). Deming locals, tourists and winter RV'ers all cross over frequently to have lunch or margaritas at the Pink Store or visit other shops, pharmacies, etc on the Mexican side. Many Mexican children from Palomas cross over daily to attend school in Columbus. 

I ride my ATV out in the desert between my ranch & the border all winter. These days I never see any illegals in the area. I am on a first name basis with the Border Patrol because my ATV riding sets off some of their electronic motion sensors in the area. They also have a long distance night vision camera mounted up on the Florida Mountains that they monitor remotely for night time traffic. 

Lots to see & do in the area, don't skip it. Do be prepared for cold nights in Jan/Feb. The days will be sunny & pleasant, but overnight our Jan/Feb temps drop 30-40 degrees overnight. 

This winter I'm headed to Florida or I'd offer to give you a tour of the area.

Thanks much Jim.  Don't mind those temps and doubt we'll cross the border.  So much we want to see on this side.  Have a great time in FL.  We finished our 4th year this spring.  Wanting to venture out a do something new.  Going to be a long trip starting in GA.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

It's been 40+ years since I've been there so I can't recommend it one way or the other but check out Silver City, NM. When we were kids we would go to the Gila Forest and camp. Back then it was great. 

If you do go, look into the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Been there done that trip and not a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived