Terrible grinding noise in smart cooling fan

Brad & Jacolyn

I remember reading here recently that someone had a cooling fan starting to make noise on their smart. Thanks for posting that because as soon as I read that mine starting making that noise. Now I knew what it was right away because I had it changed out 4 years ago and it cost $800 back then. Afraid to know what is would cost now. So after looking over a couple of smart car forums I ran across the same problem. There were pictures and his solution was to put a pusher fan on the front of the radiator (it has been working since 2012). So after messaging the man and asking a couple questions I found the same fan he used (at O'riellys). He absolutely assured me that unless you want to bleed and swear ALOT you need to pull the front clip (he said it is actually not a bad job to do). Checked on Evilution and FQ101 forums and found disassembly directions. After comparing them I determined that other than a couple of steps in a different order it covered the same stuff. So I printed the directions and yesterday I tore into it and guess what? Removing the front clip is actually easy. Just should have 2 people for lifting it off (not heavy just protecting paint). I stopped for lunch plus I was doing it in a campground so all these 'the helpers' slowed things down (but we were all entertained). Anyway, the job was completed in 5 1/2 hours (figuring out fan mounts was time consuming) and everything is all right with the world again. Won't let me add pictures. But I'll keep trying.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Sweet!...if mine goes out again I will be calling you. I'll chat with your lovely bride while you work 😋

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I did the same thing on my Smart after the stock fan quit working. The new pusher fan would not work untill the latched fault for a shorted cooling fan was reset. All is well now.  A/C works great in summer heat at idle and no overheat in heavy traffic. The front clip is not nearly so intimidating after removing and replacing it with my wifes help.     Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Jim front clip removal is 40 minutes if you have never done it. Print directions off Evilution or I can try to send them to you.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

4 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Jim front clip removal is 40 minutes if you have never done it. Print directions off Evilution or I can try to send them to you.

Brad

I don't know Brad.... My arm is still pretty bad from that dryer... I might need help on this..... 😉

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm in Texas c'mon over.

You just want to try and get me to bleed on some project of yours this time.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

• 1 month later...

And jus where were all you shade tree mechanics when our fan gave up? Yeah, so we got the $800 version just like Brad & Jacolyn's first attempt. 

BTW - We're gonna be in TX for a couple of months after the 1st of the year, Galveston and San Antonio.  Starting to stockpile DR Pepper now in hopes of having enough to kinda slip through Baytown without too much ugliness. 

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived