Trailer bushings, stay with wet bolts or go with never fail composite no lube bushings?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Some of you folks may have read about my trailer losing one of the wet bolts and the related axle movement which cost me a tire on my latest trip.  I managed to find a regular bolt that got me home but now I am going to repair the trailer properly and am faced with another decision.  A couple of years ago I had the factory spring bolts, shackles and plastic bushing replaced with a "wet bolt" kit that included much stronger shackles, this has worked well for the last 25+ thousand miles I have towed the trailer.  I might add that I tow my trailer at least 15,000 miles a year so my suspension gets a much harder work out then the average trailer.  As I need to replace at least one bushing, it fell out of the spring eye when the bolt was lost, I am also going to pull a few other bolts and check to see what shape they and the bushings are in, "IF" I should find that the bushings need to be replaced would it be wise to replace them with the bronze grease-able ones now being used, or clean the grease off of everything and replace the bushings with the newfangled "Never Fail" bushings made of some composite that claims to last forever ( like such a part really exists ) that don't need to be lubed at all?

Thanks for any real life experience or suggestions you folks may have when it comes to these parts.

DAVE

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave.

I have changed out the bushing on my suspension a couple of times and I make sure to use the bronze bushings and wet bolts. Everything wears out eventually and I have trouble believing some one makes something that never wears out. I have also had wet bolts break in the past. I carry extras with me.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I think I would stick with your wet bolts in the situation you are in. 

I would however maintenance/replace them every year or 18 months.

I did not notice a significant difference with the Nevr Fail bushings and the originals.

If they last twice as long as the factory ones I would bet you would change them every 12-18 months.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

2 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

I think I would stick with your wet bolts in the situation you are in. 

I would however maintenance/replace them every year or 18 months.

I did not notice a significant difference with the Nevr Fail bushings and the originals.

If they last twice as long as the factory ones I would bet you would change them every 12-18 months.

Howdy Parrformance,

Thanks for your post, that's the kind of information I was hoping to get.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I've had the Never Fail..... Fail.  Stay with the bronze bushings and wet bolts.  Grease is good and a PM every 6 months or XXXX miles might be in order.  Even with this DRV, I raise the tires off the ground and do 2 squirts of grease every 5k miles in the hubs and suspension.  Gives me a chance to wiggle all the rims checking for a loose bearing, listen to any brake drag, disc or drum etc.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Last summer I replaced the springs with 3500 lb springs, added a MoRide 4000 center, the wet bolt kit with the brz bushings and the heavy duty side plates that hold the springs on, and welded brackets to the axles and frame for the Monroe shocks that I added. Then changed the 16" tires for 16 ply 17.5 tires and wheels. i was really able to feel a big difference in the ride. I can't speak to any bushing problems but I've greased them twice since we got back last fall after our trip. The test with the  5er was a 6000 mile run from Va Beach to Las Vegas via The balloon fest in Abq NM. Easy tow but I hope to add disk brakes when the comptroller OK's the funds.So with the little info that I can give I would go with the brz bushings that I KNOW gets grease. This spring I had issues with the Lippert spring hangers but that was another story that I noted Memorial Day weekend.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Howdy All,

Thanks for all the replies to this thread, I'll be getting a new wet bolt and proper bushing to work with it.  This forum again comes through with useful information based on real world experience and I am grateful for it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Good morning Dave,

Seems like your on the right track with your proposal to rework your trailer suspension likely yearly like Parr suggested.......

In our rolling junk-pile of way-too-many-trailers, Dollymamma has a OLD four horse stock trailer that has a LOT of washboard gravel / dirt pig trail miles so every FOURTH set of tires I install I just drop the axles out and replace everything from the spring eyes to the frame, and trust me it needs it......

Light trailers tend to have too light of suspension components so if one pits very much use in the trailer you just need to consider the suspension a consumable set of parts like tires and brakes....... 

Dollymamma gets complements on the old stock trailer with good paint and baby-moons including the spare......she just don't get any complements on her slave-boy-trailer-mechanic......

My retirement brochure seems to be missing the suspension replacement page.......

Drive on.......($tay well.....$uspended)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

5 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Good morning Dave,

Seems like your on the right track with your proposal to rework your trailer suspension likely yearly like Parr suggested.......

In our rolling junk-pile of way-too-many-trailers, Dollymamma has a OLD four horse stock trailer that has a LOT of washboard gravel / dirt pig trail miles so every FOURTH set of tires I install I just drop the axles out and replace everything from the spring eyes to the frame, and trust me it needs it......

Light trailers tend to have too light of suspension components so if one pits very much use in the trailer you just need to consider the suspension a consumable set of parts like tires and brakes....... 

Dollymamma gets complements on the old stock trailer with good paint and baby-moons including the spare......she just don't get any complements on her slave-boy-trailer-mechanic......

My retirement brochure seems to be missing the suspension replacement page.......

Drive on.......($tay well.....$uspended)

Howdy DT,

I have been home for a week it’s been pouring down RAIN every day but I finally couldn’t stand being copped up in the house anymore went to town and bought the parts I need to do a proper repair.

I dread going out and working in the rain and mud, it will be raining for the next 6 months, we have a dirt driveway, but I need to get this done before taking off on the next trip which will be in February when me, Newt and my by then finally retired wife head SOUTH to Quartzite AZ for a while.

When I am under the trailer I will take a good look at the rest of the suspension with a bit of luck it will be OK.  I need to find one of those “slave boys” you keep going on about, I am supposed to be a Gentleman of leasure, this maintenance thing reminds me an awful lot of work and I avoid that whenever possible.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy DT,

I have been home for a week it’s been pouring down RAIN every day but I finally couldn’t stand being copped up in the house anymore went to town and bought the parts I need to do a proper repair.

I dread going out and working in the rain and mud, it will be raining for the next 6 months, we have a dirt driveway, but I need to get this done before taking off on the next trip which will be in February when me, Newt and my by then finally retired wife head SOUTH to Quartzite AZ for a while.

When I am under the trailer I will take a good look at the rest of the suspension with a bit of luck it will be OK.  I need to find one of those “slave boys” you keep going on about, I am supposed to be a Gentleman of leasure, this maintenance thing reminds me an awful lot of work and I avoid that whenever possible.

Dave

Dave,

Got a hot deal for you in your Feb-race-out-of-tha-rain.....try to plan your first break-down at our Last Chance Peak Dollyhorse camp ......we have almost NO RAiN and plenty of tools, electric, and WE could lure Vegas Teach over the hill to buy us free lunch at the two big cat houses nearby......oh ya and we have side by side trails for 10,000 miles right out of camp....

Trust me retirement is just a chain of breakdowns the pros just plan the breakdowns in the best locations......

Come on by.......don't miss the free lunch from V. Teach......we could scare him paper-white......

Drive on......(plan your breakdowns wisely)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Dave,

Got a hot deal for you in your Feb-race-out-of-tha-rain.....try to plan your first break-down at our Last Chance Peak Dollyhorse camp ......we have almost NO RAiN and plenty of tools, electric, and WE could lure Vegas Teach over the hill to buy us free lunch at the two big cat houses nearby......oh ya and we have side by side trails for 10,000 miles right out of camp....

Trust me retirement is just a chain of breakdowns the pros just plan the breakdowns in the best locations......

Come on by.......don't miss the free lunch from V. Teach......we could scare him paper-white......

Drive on......(plan your breakdowns wisely)

Howdy DT,

Oh man don't tempt me, that bolt I installed in the parking lot at the Albuquerque Walmart, will easily last another 1,500 miles.  Cory fed me good when I met up with him in Las Vegas, if you can con him into feeding us again, heck yeah.  If your serious about this please PM the location of this camp your rambblin on about. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

19 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy DT,

Oh man don't tempt me, that bolt I installed in the parking lot at the Albuquerque Walmart, will easily last another 1,500 miles.  Cory fed me good when I met up with him in Las Vegas, if you can con him into feeding us again, heck yeah.  If your serious about this please PM the location of this camp your rambblin on about. :D

Dave

Deal.....

Not only is Last Chance Peak the perfect name for one of our camps but this location is a downhill slide right into Q-town...... shucks the little Kitty could give up the Ghost and you coast from camp right down the river to Q-town....

Will pm you camp address.....

Drive on.......(camp in a good break-down spot)

1 minute ago, Dollytrolley said:

Deal.....

Not only is Last Chance Peak the perfect name for one of our camps but this location is a downhill slide right into Q-town...... shucks the little Kitty could give up the Ghost and you coast from camp right down the river to Q-town....

Will pm you camp address.....

Drive on.......(camp in a good break-down spot)

Howdy DT,

Wonderful, I sure have enjoyed your stories about "Gramps" over the last few years, I have been known to be a spinner of tall tales myself, I think we will get along just dandy.  Hoping this will work out to be part of our upcoming southern sojourn in early 2019.  Hey Cory, got your ears on, get your wallet out. 🤣

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

I am supposed to be a Gentleman of leasure, this maintenance thing reminds me an awful lot of work and I avoid that whenever possible.

Then maybe stop buying BIG BOY toys, Dave.  It's part of the formula unfortunately.

Glad you got home from Hutch safely, relatively speaking.

Marcel

1 minute ago, rpsinc said:

Then maybe stop buying BIG BOY toys, Dave.  It's part of the formula unfortunately.

Glad you got home from Hutch safely, relatively speaking.

Howdy rpsinc,

Oh I'll never stop buying toys, I am out to win that prize about the guy having the most toys when he's dead winning and all. I have had grease under my finger nails since I was 3 years old and will have it there till I am gone but as I get older the joy of actually turning wrenches has lost its allure that I must admit.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I am right there with you.  After the National Rally, I discovered that some attendees need some help.  I expect to be working some tools to help them out in the near future.  It gives me some satisfaction to be able to help others but I also have to be realistic in the fact that I have bills to pay too.  It costs $ to buy those tools and the power to run them.  So, I put my head down and give it my best.

I do know that it is more rewarding to do the RV related work than to do the Contracting related work.  

BTW- my nails havent been clean since 1973.

Marcel

Howdy All,

Something I may not have mentioned, then again I might have, my memory being what it is I honestly don't know, is that towing my trailer with a real truck until I saw the axle out of place after I stopped for the night I had no idea that it was all cadiwampas and that the tire was nearly all worn away on one side as the axle was sitting crooked.  If I had been towing with a pickup truck I am sure I would have noticed the extra drag this would have put on the engine of the pickup.  Truth is with that big yeller kitty under the Hood I probably wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong until I saw sparks in the mirror from the wheel dragging on the pavement.  I always do a walk around when ever I stop and do look in the mirrors when ever I turn corners but its easy to miss something like this while moving down the road.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I am right there with you.  After the National Rally, I discovered that some attendees need some help.  I expect to be working some tools to help them out in the near future.  It gives me some satisfaction to be able to help others but I also have to be realistic in the fact that I have bills to pay too.  It costs $ to buy those tools and the power to run them.  So, I put my head down and give it my best.

I do know that it is more rewarding to do the RV related work than to do the Contracting related work.  

BTW- my nails havent been clean since 1973.

Howdy rpsinc,

"Good on ya mate", as the Ozzy's say for helping others.  I do the best I can to help out when I have the skills to do so, I am kind of the neighborhood fix it guy when it comes to welding stuff or having tools must folks don't have.  Just don't ever ask me to help with anything electrical or electronic unless you have darned good fire insurance and can afford to be with out whatever it was that needed fixin until it can be replaced.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

51 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Something I may not have mentioned, then again I might have, my memory being what it is I honestly don't know, is that towing my trailer with a real truck until I saw the axle out of place after I stopped for the night I had no idea that it was all cadiwampas and that the tire was nearly all worn away on one side as the axle was sitting crooked.  If I had been towing with a pickup truck I am sure I would have noticed the extra drag this would have put on the engine of the pickup.  Truth is with that big yeller kitty under the Hood I probably wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong until I saw sparks in the mirror from the wheel dragging on the pavement.  I always do a walk around when ever I stop and do look in the mirrors when ever I turn corners but its easy to miss something like this while moving down the road.

Dave

I tend to just get in the seat and go.  The goal is to put miles BEHIND me.  But I do know that its a good habit to get into to stop every 2-3 hours.  That way, can stretch, do a walk around, and maybe catch something happening before it becomes a bigger deal.  I also have to remind myself that I am usually on VACATION, so need to slow down.  I guess that is the point of it all.

Marcel

5 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

I guess a TPMS might also be on the "list" of things to do.....If you had one you might have noticed that tire a bit warmer than the rest. YMMV

Howdy DM,

TPMS, is something I have thought about but have not yet acted on, I am sure that if I had had such a system it would have shown that the tire that was scrubbing was at a higher temperature then the others.  When I do my walk around I use a hand held lazer temperature thingamabob to read the temp on all the tires.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just now, DesertMiner said:

Sort a hard to use while driving.....

Howdy DM,

As I don't run very fast, that's why I use it during the walk around. :D

DSave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

20 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

I guess a TPMS might also be on the "list" of things to do.....If you had one you might have noticed that tire a bit warmer than the rest. YMMV

Pros and cons.....  The sending units of the TPMS can catch road debris, or shreds from a disintegrating neighbor, and cause more tire failures.  I lost three tires this summer, when one failed suddenly, and the flying rubber caught the senders on the other two tires and ripped out the valve stems.

Personal choice, but I will not run TPMS any more.  I have my temp gun and a wife with a smallish bladder, so check tires several times per day.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived