Ladder Needed

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I need to buy a ladder to do maintenance on my trailer. I have a 5th wheel trailer. The trailer height is 13'6". Right now my ladder is a 6' step ladder. I don't like working on the next to last step. At times I don't feel safe. I will never work from using the top step. I am looking for advice from people who to they own maintenance from a ladder. Do I buy a 8' step ladder or is there another style of ladder that is better ? I have only owned a 6' step ladder to do any maintenance on my home. Is there any threads talking about ladders ? Any advice can be a help to me. Right now I have not thought to much about taking the ladder with me on my travels.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

check out the Werner 13' folding ladder for your needs. I have one, and never been on the MH OEM ladder since the purchase. Longer ladders are made , but this one seems just right for climbing on the roof of our MH when extended straight. It stores easily in the basement compartment. In step-ladder position I can reach the roofline or clean the windshield when necessary and be much more stable than an ordinary step ladder.

An aside, I've read posts about the telescoping ladders collapsing when used, perhaps operator error?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

We bought one of those extendable ladders, 15'. Collapses to a reasonable size for storage in the basement. We are happy with it.

We bought and use the Xtend ladder (see below) from Amazon.  We've had it about a year and it is easy to maneuver, store and use.  It's a bit expensive but it extends out far and is safe.  Worked well to paint the shutters on the sticks and bricks and we brought it along on our most recent trip.

Xtend & Climb 785P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type I Professional Series, 15.5-Foot

I also have the Xtend ladder.  Its not light at 35 lbs, but its sturdy.  Be careful when you release it so the web between your thumb and index finger doesn't get caught when it slides down.  It hurts a lot and a little blood.  Yes, I have first hand knowledge of this.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I have always just  used an 8' aluminum step ladder.  When I had my fivers it was so light I could attach it to my OEM rear ladder, now it goes inside my 24' enclosed trailer (toad).

I use the attached OEM ladder to go up on the roofs of my RVs, not a step ladder of extending ladder.

My current DP is only 12'10" tall, however since I am 6'1" tall I can reach about anything around the top and still not be on the second to top rung.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I carry one of those ladders that collapse because my wife does not approve of our belongings hanging outside the RV, whether on the ladder or anywhere else. But mine is only available in a 7' length so probably isn't long enough. For your reach, I think that I would get one of these telescoping ladders which come up to a 12.5' length and would be much safer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Harbor Freight Little Giant Clone. Holds 300 lbs. SIL has the Lowe’s Werner equivalent and its really good also. Just few more $. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

7 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Harbor Freight Little Giant Clone. Holds 300 lbs. SIL has the Lowe’s Werner equivalent and its really good also. Just few more $. 

Before RVing we had a Little Giant. They are VERY heavy. But it had a gadget that attached to a step to give you a platform to stand on--much better than just the rung. You just kicked it out of the way when ready to descend. If you can get that to fit a lighter weight version of the Little Giant, I would do so.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We carry the Harbor Freight clone of the Little Giant ladder. Put it between tailgate and hitch along with a 2 step aluminum step stool. (can’t reach hitch release and don’t climb on dually tire)

The fold up 5 way is great but a little heavy. Beats heck out of climbing the coach ladder if getting on the roof. 

Archived