Hi everyone I'm new here

Hi guys and gals,

My wife and I went full time back in May and left Texas for good.  We spent the entire Summer on the Oregon and Washington coast and are now heading South for the Winter, taking our time, boondocking here and there along the way.  Currently we're hanging out at Walker Lake in Nevada.  We have a full blown solar setup with lithium batteries, so we like to boondock away from the crowds and don't like to stay in RV parks.  We just go to them once a week to dump tanks, do laundry and restock supplies.  Can you guys recommend some cool boondocking spots in Arizona?  I know a lot of folks go to Quartzite but it looks really crowded and noisy, and we don't really want to pay for SP or NP campgrounds either, just free boondocking spots.  BLM land is our favorite, because we like to stick around for a week or two if we find a pretty area. 

Thanks!

• F250 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Tow Vehicle
  • 2018 Grand Design 220RK Fifth Wheel
  • 1200 Watts of solar and 400ah of Lithium

file-4.SIG.jpg

I would suggest you look into Days End Directory. Price in minimal and there is a huge data base. This is solely for the Escapees and has been added to and updated for decades. Rvparky.com and Compendium.com are good resources.

Are you planning to go to the Escapade in Tucson in March. Good place to go to meet people and get educated, ask questions. 

1 hour ago, GoGetchaSomeNature said:

we like to boondock away from the crowds and don't like to stay in RV parks.  We just go to them once a week to dump tanks, do laundry and restock supplies.  Can you guys recommend some cool boondocking spots in Arizona?  I know a lot of folks go to Quartzite but it looks really crowded and noisy, and we don't really want to pay for SP or NP campgrounds either, just free boondocking spots.  BLM land is our favorite, because we like to stick around for a week or two if we find a pretty area. 

Thanks!

Midland LTVA, west of Blythe, CA, on I-10 has a reputation for being fairly quiet. It's a short drive to Q and the same park pass works at BLM land there, too, for when you want use some of their services or meet up with other SKPs. For free you might want to try Dome Rock which is off I-10 between Blythe and Q.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We buy an annual LTVA pass each year ($180 for 7 months, September 15 - April 15).  We spend most of our time at the LTVAs north of Blythe, CA and west of Yuma, AZ with short stints in Quartzsite (but not in January!). 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

It seems like you'd enjoy smaller areas rather than the ones around Yuma or Quartzsite, although even at those you can find some nice quiet spots.  Just south of Quartzsite is Kofa Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. You don't have to drive too far off 95 to start finding spots.  Drive north of Quartzsite for quieter areas then take 72 toward Bouse for spots.

The last two weeks of January are the busiest times in Quartzsite.  Go in February and the crowds won't be so thick.  Still... if you drive back in the areas a short distance you will usually find some quieter spots.  One caution, don't park in a 'wash' which are drainage areas when it rains.  Otherwise, most of these areas are hard-packed and very good to drive on.

At Yuma coming from Quartzsite for 95 take S24 to Mittry Lake BLM. It's a small area.

If you want to check out Tucson, there's a small BLM area called Snyder Hill. There's even a YouTube on it.  Here is a blogger who boondocked all the time and she wrote up one on Snyder Hill.  She also gives another link on that page on how to find boondocking in Arizona.  They had a 40' motorhome so you'll know the places are suitable for big RVs.

Roosevelt Lake area has national forest spots.

There are several national wildlife refuges to stay.

Just south of Ajo is a lot of beautiful boondocking.

Wickenburg - check out Vulture Peak area.

You like to stay in places we love.  Have a great visit to Arizona!!

https://wheelingit.us/?s=snyder+hill

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Check out freecampsites.net. You can filter by free, WalMart, Cabellas, BLM. etc, or low cost, NPS, State, County or City Parks etc.. You can search by State or City. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 10/30/2018 at 5:56 PM, GoGetchaSomeNature said:

Hi guys and gals,

My wife and I went full time back in May and left Texas for good.  We spent the entire Summer on the Oregon and Washington coast and are now heading South for the Winter, taking our time, boondocking here and there along the way. 

Just now saw this, so I'm late to the party, but welcome!

My wife and I will be doing the same come this May, hopefully.  Until then, we're stuck in the Oregon rain for one more winter...

Archived