Questions about Dish TV

I am getting a headache thinking about this. The new RV came with the Dish VQ4500-VIP-Receiver with 2 Wally's. I could change out the Dish for a DirTV compatible one for $500-$600 and use my Dir TV receiver and not have to deal with a new TV vendor.  I was concerned there might not be 12 vdc power for the dish on the roof but it appears the King domes are powered thru the coax according to their website!  

That would preserve some "special considerations" I have with Dir TV that would not appear with the Dish.  Initially, I was thinking the loss of the "considerations" was just the cost of the change and I could lose them any day anyway!  

If I don't change the dish and stick to Dish TV and the Wally's it appears I will need to buy a HD for each Wally.  That is certainly not equal to the DirTV Dish but it does reduce the total outlay. 

Going to sleep on this some more, but we are leaving for a month+ on the road on 1 Dec and I need to get this operational before that.  Thanx again for all the inputs, each one as been informative and I will continue to follow this for further inputs!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

7 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I see that we are defining "home equipment" differently.  You see it as "having equipment at home."  I've been seeing it as "having equipment designed for home and not for a RV" (like a Wally).  The reason I was told I couldn't change my locals is because I have a VIP722K - which, by the way, I sure wouldn't trade for a Wally.

Actually, it says both of those on that webpage.  In the first sentence, it says "without DISH service at home".   In the "Note" at the bottom of the page it says "DISH home equipment".  So, both of our definitions are in line with the webpage.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

8 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I see that we are defining "home equipment" differently.  You see it as "having equipment at home."  I've been seeing it as "having equipment designed for home and not for a RV" (like a Wally).  The reason I was told I couldn't change my locals is because I have a VIP722K - which, by the way, I sure wouldn't trade for a Wally.

If you noticed, I said in my earlier post that I have a VIP722k....and again, the app works great for me. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

24 minutes ago, Big5er said:

If you noticed, I said in my earlier post that I have a VIP722k....and again, the app works great for me. 

I'm not pretending Dish is following it's own guidelines.  Any of us who have dealt with them on a regular basis have gotten conflicting information on various topics.  I am saying that the quote from the webpage was given as the reason that the app doesn't work for me.  I've made it a point to bring it up on a regular basis, including with an upper level tech support guy.  

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

• 1 month later...

That is interesting, Dutch, about the Wally not "designed for RV use". I thought that was what it was for.  However, since I first asked the question starting this thread I have decided I did not want to learn all the tricks to dealing with Dish and I am sticking with Direct TV. I don't think there is a lot of difference for us!  I had to swap out the dome on the roof and remove the two Wallys and remotes and install two Dir TV receivers I have and we are back in business.   

I have new King Dome I took off the roof and the 2 Wallys with remotes I  will put on e-bay when we get back from our trip.

Thanx again for all the input I received.  I am glad I asked and glad for the help I received.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

1 hour ago, bobsea43 said:

That is interesting, Dutch, about the Wally not "designed for RV use". I thought that was what it was for.  However, since I first asked the question starting this thread I have decided I did not want to learn all the tricks to dealing with Dish and I am sticking with Direct TV. I don't think there is a lot of difference for us!  I had to swap out the dome on the roof and remove the two Wallys and remotes and install two Dir TV receivers I have and we are back in business.   

I have new King Dome I took off the roof and the 2 Wallys with remotes I  will put on e-bay when we get back from our trip.

Thanx again for all the input I received.  I am glad I asked and glad for the help I received.

There are no Dish receivers that are "designed for RV use" just as there are no DTV receivers "designed for RV use", Bob. It's much too small a market to warrant that kind of development investment. The Wally was designed as a replacement for the previous VIP 211 series single tuner receivers, and while both are popular for RV use, neither were designed with that use in mind. There are many S&B residences with basic no fee VIP and Wally installations where those models fit the subscribers needs and/or wallet. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Lets start with DNS. Dish has DNS from LA only.  If you have Locals at home, you can have DNS on the Wally in the RV, only.

Today, you can DNS from DirecTV only based upon your billing address, NY or LA.

As for Locals, just like DirecTV, Dish has Locals on spot beams.  

We only care about Locals in receiving them, not where they come from.  Ergo, we only change our Service address  only when we move out of the spot beam.,  Some people want the local news so they will change their Service Address more often.

We chose not to use DNS because of the time zone for LA.

We use Dish Chat as they there is no mis-hearing on my or the CSR's part. We use a simple script:

The only benefit for purchasing receivers is of you want a month-to-month

"I am an RVer and have just moved to a new location.  I need to change my Service Address (only) to <new address> and have the Locals changed to that location. Leave the Billing Address as it is."

Have your account number and PIN ready.

The King Dome can receive DirecTV but currently only in SD.  That is changing next year and nobody is sure what or how it is happening.

The King Dome can receive all Dish programming depending on your subscription, SD and HD.

The only reason to purchase receivers is if you want to use a month-to-month plan.  There is no lease fee for receivers, but there is a port charge for each receiver whether from Dish or purchased.

2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver

2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

Dale I am really confused. Wanting to change from DirectTV to Dish. Called Dish and was transferred to Outdoors once they heard RV. Rep said I would have to purchase over $400.00 worth of equipment but your statement referenced only need to buy equipment if month to month, which was my only option according to the rep. If true, can't I hunt for used dish and receiver(not sure what type)? Sure could use some advice.  Thanks

2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver

2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

In this case do not call Dish.  Call a local installer. 

Dish CSRs have a terrible problem with "wive's tales" like no DVRs in RVs, you have to purchase your equipment, RVers are monthly.

If you call Dish, you just want to be a subscriber.  Do not mention RV.

The equipment purchase is tied to Pay-As-You-Go, a monthly service.  14 Years with Dish as a full-timer.  Always had DVRs.  Never purchased.

There are no Dish Corporate policies about DVRs in RVs.  

Dish will install in an RV but will not take service calls on a house with wheels.  Only time I ever had Dish come is to do installations.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2018 at 7:52 PM, chindog said:

We have had Dish for a couple of years, and really like the local channels option.  When the weather turns bad, or even if we just want to know what the local forecast is going to be, the best place to find out is the local network newscasts.  We are full timers, and have a Dish Outdoors account.  When I need to change our local stations, I just use the Dish app on my phone.  I don't have to chat, or tell anyone where I am. The app uses the GPS function on my phone and changes the locals to where I am.

That`s very interesting,  got to get that app.

Home is where I park it.

Don’t know why so many people have so many problems and I hope I am not jinxing myself by responding but, when I first started fulltiming in a 5th wheel I had Dish with a portable Pathway X2 and a 211K receiver and a external hard drive.  I had a local Dish Authorized Retailer in San Diego, my home at the time, sell me the Pathway and hard drive, signed a 2year contract and Dish gave the 211K. I changed my locals all the time by calling Dish Customer Service and giving my current zip code. It was seamless. I kept the same billing address, Escapees Mail Forwarding Service. 

After 5 years I traded in my 5er for a Class A that came with a Travler on the roof set up for DirecTv. Called Weingard and was told I could purchase parts for $300 to convert it to Dish, however the Dish Authorized Retailer in Tucson, where I was spending the winter, wanted another $200 for labor. The local retailer also was with DirecTV so I canceled Dish, returned the 211K, sold the Pathway X2, had the local retailer install a Geni and another receiver for the bedroom, and signing a 2 year contract it was all free, equipment and install.  Now when I change location I call DirecTV Customer Service, give them my zip code and have my local channels in minutes. Have never used DNS. So simple even a caveman can do it. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived