How often do you make reservations?

Kirk W

Do you reserve RV sites?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you make RV site reservations?

• Always or most of the time because they are needed where we stay.
    • Didn't used to but have begun doing so because we have trouble finding a place to stay or have failed to find one occasionally.
    • Didn't used to but have begun doing so because we have trouble finding a place to stay or have failed to find one frequently.
    • I seldom make reservations but have had times that I found no place to stay a few times.
    • I seldom make reservations but will start because of problems finding a place to spend the night.
    • I only make reservations for holidays and long term stays.
    • I seldom make reservations and do not need them because we always stop early in the afternoon.
    • I frequently make reservations because in the past I had difficulty locating a place to stay.
    • I make reservations only for busy times and in busy locations and have had no problems as a result.
    • I have always made reservations most of the time and so have never had any problems with RV sites.
    • I rarely or never make reservations and have never had significant problems finding a place to stay.

I used to have a small class C, Never worried about finding a spot. Now with a 40 foot FW, ,late nights pulling into a unknown park is a no-no so I want a reservation perferably 4-7 hours in advance.. Any extended stay a reservation especially is on a weekend.

End result about half the time unless a weekend involved.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2018 at 7:56 AM, Kirk Wood said:

I always thought that was to avoid continuing to hold a site for someone who has already arrived or who has prepaid by credit card? 

That hadn't occurred to me Kirk. It always made me feel like I should have made one, thanks for that.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Holidays without reservations . . those are the times we sought out basic, out-of-the-way places . . never with a pool, lake or river and not near a major attraction.  We have a 3-day quiet time for relaxing.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Well, we have only had 37 responses so far but it does seem to show some interesting data, if unscientific. About 42% of respondents do make reservations but they always have. Another 30% do not make reservations generally and don't seem to be having any problems from not doing so. Only 3 people or 8% indicate that they have changed from no reservations to frequent reservations. If RV sites are getting a lot more difficult to find, I would have expected to see many more of those not inclined to make reservations when traveling, to start doing so?  Sure do wish that our sample was bigger. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Well, we have only had 37 responses so far but it does seem to show some interesting data, if unscientific. About 42% of respondents do make reservations but they always have. Another 30% do not make reservations generally and don't seem to be having any problems from not doing so. Only 3 people or 8% indicate that they have changed from no reservations to frequent reservations. If RV sites are getting a lot more difficult to find, I would have expected to see many more of those not inclined to make reservations when traveling, to start doing so?  Sure do wish that our sample was bigger. 

Do you think it might be the result of different travel styles.  I don't think it would be especially hard to just show up at a campground looking for a night or two, or being willing to change sites after a night to a different spot.  The challenge would be just showing up and wanting a two week stay.

So, people who move frequently would be more likely to report "no reservations-no problem."  Those who do weekly or monthly stays would more likely report that reservations are important.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

The past two years have been rare exceptions.  Last year we made a reservation for an RV park so we were sure of a place when attending my daughter's wedding.  This year I also made a reservation.  This year I wanted to stay in the Arches NP campground.  To get in means taking chances on a cancellation or making a reservation 6 months in advance on the day the reservations open.  I got the last open site for the last 4 days of October.  Now it is November and the reservation system has ended and I can stay longer.

Firstly we are not full timers, but do a lot of extended times away from 3 weeks to 9 weeks several time a year.  We are in the process of planning a 6+ month trip for next April to October time across Canada, Maritimes, Maine, Finger Lakes, Michigan and back around Loop.   We've found lots of dry camping/boondocking opportunities except struggling to find somewhere to stay to explore Boston easily near public transport links :( 

We are in Scott's assumption of moving a fair bit, and hardly ever book in advance, just in very very busy areas where there's something we'd like to experience - eg; Seattle, LA, NYC at prime times.   We might book a few days in advance and work around the availability for a couple of nights closer to the time.   With unpredictable mechanical problems, maybe wishing to spend an extra day or two at other locations we discover as travelling, and being very comfortable dry camping/boondocking, we've thus far never had a major problem of not finding somewhere to stop for a night or several.    Serendipitous stops around our general planned route, is our cuppa tea.

For those that psychologically or factually need hookups, guarantee of a park/location for a set period of time, regular returning snowbirds, or prime summer destination vacationers, I can see those folks booking well in advance typically.

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

Why bother to call if campgrounds are never full?

Maybe because in this day of cell phones it seems just a little bit foolish not to use one?  Calling really don't take a lot of effort. 

11 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

We've found lots of dry camping/boondocking opportunities except struggling to find somewhere to stay to explore Boston easily near public transport links :( 

We really enjoyed using this site for big rigs and boondocking/public campgrounds.  They seemed to stay in many places we would like.

This might be some help on Boston.  https://wheelingit.us/?s=boston

Full-timed for 16 Years

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

Maybe because in this day of cell phones it seems just a little bit foolish not to use one?  Calling really don't take a lot of effort. 

(pet peeve alert)

In the early days of analog cell phones (and analog land lines), I would agree.  But with today's crappy digital compression, I spend far more time asking people to repeat themselves than I do in actual conversation.  Digital for voice is a giant step backwards.  If you think otherwise, it's only because you're now used to it as the "new norm".  I pine for the days of analog.  Okay, end of rant.

7 hours ago, colddog15 said:

A crowed RV park makes it look like a great place to be.  

Interesting.  To me, a crowded RV park is a place to stay away from.  I'm not anti-social, and I love to meet new people, but a place with lots of kids and animals running around and cutting through campsites is not a place I want to be.

58 minutes ago, OregonJim said:

In the early days of analog cell phones (and analog land lines), I would agree.  But with today's crappy digital compression, I spend far more time asking people to repeat themselves than I do in actual conversation.  Digital for voice is a giant step backwards.  If you think otherwise, it's only because you're now used to it as the "new norm".  I pine for the days of analog.  Okay, end of rant.

FWIW both our phones (a Pixel 2XL and a Galaxy S7) support what Verizon calls HD Voice.  I rarely have any problems understanding what is being said.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

52 minutes ago, OregonJim said:

Interesting.  To me, a crowded RV park is a place to stay away from.  I'm not anti-social, and I love to meet new people, but a place with lots of kids and animals running around and cutting through campsites is not a place I want to be.

I'm not sure how you reconcile your feelings with the fact that many nice RV parks near major tourist destinations are crowded most of the summer.  We spent 10 days at Yellowstone Grizzly in late August.  It wasn't 100% full but it was pretty busy.  I'm not sure how one avoids this unless you are willing to go much earlier or later in the season.  As it was we encountered snow and freezing temps during our visit; the Yellowstone season doesn't go all that much later.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The first time we went camping in an RV was near Independence Day. We had finished a home-school retreat and were in the neighborhood of a cousin I hadn't seen in years, so we thought that we'd be able to go to the nearby State park without reservations. When I called my cousin and told him what we were going to do he said to forget that, as we wouldn't be able to get in. Instead we were to camp in his driveway. Saved some money and had a blast. Learned a lesson, too.

Now, we make sure that we have a place to stay over holidays (we're full-timers). This park was completely full over Labor Day weekend. Since then we've only been completely full one other time when we had a couple of family reunions. This past weekend we were less than 50% full. Right now we have only four spots rented.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

4 hours ago, docj said:

FWIW both our phones (a Pixel 2XL and a Galaxy S7) support what Verizon calls HD Voice.  I rarely have any problems understanding what is being said.  

I agree with Joel, our LG Stylo3's with Verizon's HD Voice have very good voice quality.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 minutes ago, OregonJim said:

Thanks for the link!  It will come in handy when we're up in the New England area.

If you look on the top line of her blog you'll see a RV parking Reviews link and it's by state.  Lots of good writeups on places to stay throughout the whole country.  They were full-timers for many years and this year have moved to France and are looking to buy a RV there.

Full-timed for 16 Years

6 hours ago, docj said:

I also have a Pixel 2XL with Verizon.  My wife has an iPhone (also Verizon).  Neither is very intelligible when it comes to voice, most of the time, to either of us.  It's not a regional issue, either - we had that problem clear across the county, coast to coast on our last trip.  Our previous phones were the same (Galaxy S7 and earlier iPhone).  The last time I had what I consider acceptable voice quality was in the mid 90's, and it was an analog cell phone.  No use complaining I guess, as there are no other options but digital these days...

8 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

If you look on the top line of her blog you'll see a RV parking Reviews link and it's by state.  Lots of good writeups on places to stay throughout the whole country.  They were full-timers for many years and this year have moved to France and are looking to buy a RV there.

Yes, I've been following their YouTube channel for awhile, but never visited their blog.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I agree with Joel, our LG Stylo3's with Verizon's HD Voice have very good voice quality.

Both of us have I-phones with service from AT&T. My first cell was a business phone of the bag-phone variety, about 1993 or so.  The analog phones did have a longer range which was needed because the towers were farther apart. Digital phones are much higher frequency and shorter range with closer towers. When that change came I noticed the sound quality seemed to be better, but with analog, you could often make out what the person said with a weak, static-filled call while the digital signal was dropped if quality degraded. If anyone is interested, this link is to a history of cell phone service. 

Now back to the subject of the need for reservations. With 45 participants, we now have 3 who have changed from no reservations to frequent reservations. It would seem that we have a pretty good mix of reservations, early calls, and drive in customers. I suspect that most of us do at least call ahead before we arrive so perhaps we could be considered to be making a reservation since at least part of the time the park takes information and sometimes even a credit card number to hold a site. I have never thought of our practice of calling ahead an hour or two before arrival as making a reservation, but it is a very small difference. How far before arrival would it be to be considered a reservation? I suspect that very few of us ever travel without our cell phones and the times we do not have accessible cellular service are less and less common. Perhaps I do make reservations much more than I think that I do. I'd say that if the park takes credit card information it probably should be considered to be a reservation, and that does happen at least some of the time when we call ahead.

45 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

we now have 3 who have changed from no reservations to frequent reservations.

Curious which questions you are counting? These three (total 6 responses) seem to indicate or imply past difficulty finding sites resulting in now making reservations.

1. Didn't used to but have begun doing so because we have trouble finding a place to stay or have failed to find one occasionally.

2. Didn't used to but have begun doing so because we have trouble finding a place to stay or have failed to find one frequently.

3. I frequently make reservations because in the past I had difficulty locating a place to stay.

I also wonder how the respondents to this question would have found out that reservations are needed? Is the question meant to mean that the facility does not take walk ins? 

Always or most of the time because they are needed where we stay.

45 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

at least part of the time the park takes information and sometimes even a credit card number to hold a site... I'd say that if the park takes credit card information it probably should be considered to be a reservation...

Lots of Passport America and other cash/check only parks will just take a name and agree to hold a spot. I consider that a reservation and if for some reason our plans change, I give them the courtesy of a call to let them know. 

46 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

How far before arrival would it be to be considered a reservation?

If they have my credit card information. I would consider that a reservation and make sure that I called to cancel if for some reason I would not arrive as scheduled.

Archived