Water Systems for 2008 monaco monarch 30sfs

I am the third owner of the RV and I decided to drain the water tanks, we were parking it for 3 months and we didn't want to have algae growing in the tank as it sat in 100+ temperature in Southern Calif.

When I was ready lo refill the tanks, I looked at the picture I had taken of the values setting in the water compartment and then made sure they were all in the closed position.I then filled the tank and waited till the water came out the overflow line.  I thought great, I'm ready to hit the road.  I drove 30 minutes and had my wife check the water panel and was surprised to hear we loss 1/3 of the water.  we continued driving and by the time we go into the rv park, we lost another 1/3.  Luckily we had full hookups and water wasn't the issue.  We want to go to Quartize in 2019 for the boomer get together.  problem is boon docking knowing we lost so much water in transit,  I guess is this normal?  In the rv there is another water drain in the electrical compartment but I didn''t touch that one.  Can anyone shed any light on what is happening with the water?  I've been a RV'er for 2 years part time and now full time.  any info would be greatly appreciated 

Are you assuming the water loss based solely on the sensor readings?

It sounds like you either have flaky tank sensors (most likely), or a hole in the fresh water tank.  The latter would be easy to spot if you let the rig sit for an hour or two with a full tank.  If you try to put more water in the tank and it (almost) immediately comes out the overflow, you know you're getting false readings from the sensors.

My rig will loose about 1/4 of the tank out of the overflow while driving IF I am in hilly country.  It does not loose any sitting level.  Previous fiver also lost significant water in the hills.

If your not seeing a puddle of water under the rig while parked I doubt you have a leak.  

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Welcome to the Escapee forums. I find it difficult to believe that 2/3 of the water was lost out of your tank through the vent line. It would be far more than I have heard of with any other RV. While the level indication might be off some, with fresh water it is usually pretty close to accurate so doubt that is the answer.

12 hours ago, thebassomatic said:

In the rv there is another water drain in the electrical compartment but I didn''t touch that one. 

So why not test it to see what that valve does? Most RVs have drain valves in the hot and cold water lines somewhere around the area of the kitchen. I suspect that you have found one of them. Have you used water from the tank by running the fresh water pump? If you do that and the drain valves are open there would be water exiting from any open drain valves and that would also be true if you connect city water but as Oregon Jim has suggested, there would be water on the ground under the RV when sitting still. If the pump is off but the drain lines open when traveling you probably would lose some water through the pump as it does work like a check valve to prevent water flowing back into the tank but it will allow some water out of the tank even when not running. The water has to have gone outside if there are no leaks and while I don't know how much your tank holds, I am sure that it is far too much to disappear with no wet areas unless it drained out somewhere. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

The water loss may be the result of siphoning from the tank through the vent/overflow.  I have a 2013 Monaco Monarch.  More than once I have filled the tank until it overflowed, then shut off the water supply.  Water then continued to flow from the vent/overflow for 10 minutes or more.  The first time this happened I looked at the water tank and it was partially collapsed from being sucked in by the water leaving the vent/overflow.  Not pretty! 

To stop the siphoning I put air into the tank by using a winterizing fitting on the water supply and attaching a bicycle pump.  In less than a minute after pumping air the flow out the vent/overflow stopped. 

Now when filling we watch the water level through an access port using a flashlight and stop before the water reaches the top of the tank. 

Archived