Repair facility recommendation in New Mexico

rpsinc

I had been watching what I thought was periodic overflow from the the puke tank on my IH 4700.  The last couple of fuel stops showed it continuing and that was concerning.  Got to Tucumcari for fuel after leaving Hutch, decided to continue.  Had to stop twice to add coolant.  I knew what was coming but denial is a powerful thing.  "I think we can make it home"- ~1000 miles.  

Well, got the the TA on 40 at Santa Rosa, NM and decided that it was as far as I was going to drive that day.

Did a walk around before settling in for the night, drip, drip drip.  An hour later after I ate, drip, drip, drip.  The following morning, drip, drip, drip.

Help YELP!!   Called Big Rig Service that shared the lot with TA.  They could check it out but I had already scoped it out.  Looked to me like the bottom tank on the radiator had a leak and it wasnt getting any better.  Humm, do I dare add some leak sealer.  NO, that just creates more problems.  Drove it over to them, and they confirmed what I suspected, the radiator was leaking and getting worse.  Pressure tested it and yet, bad news getting worse.  Can you get a radiator for this truck?  Phone call to supply house.  Yes, 3 hours or so.  Do it.  Got the radiator replaced and they let us hang out in their yard till we left.  A couple of truckers told me that they are by far the best repair place for hundreds of miles.  Fair, competent and professional.  I agree.

So here is a shout out to Sereno at Big Rig Service in Santa Rosa, New Mexico for doing a great job and doing it at a fair price.  

I know it was the right decision to have it done then and there, as we went to Show Low from there and heading down the 260 heading SW, it would not have been good with that old radiator.  Sereno was curious as to what was the problem, so he pressure tested it after removal.  Well, with a bit of water in it, it just sprayed out the bottom tank.  The only thing keeping any coolant in was the foam cushion under it. 

Well, it was the OEM radiator, 170K miles and 17 years, it lived a good like.  Now it will be recycled to be something else for some one else.  Other than this, it was a wonderful trip, enjoyed new friends and the National Rally.  Well done!!  Hope to do it again.

Marcel & Roxanne 

Marcel

I commend you on the attitude.  So many folks would whine and moan about the unscheduled expense, and how it blew their budget.

this is NOT a cheap game we're playing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived