Hwy 190 Across Death Valley

MeanderMan

We're visiting Lone Pine next month and I'd like to drive across Death Valley on highway 190 to Death Valley Junction.  It's not identified on my trucker's atlas as a suitable route, and I'm wondering if it's OK for my 40' DP.  Anyone made this trip?  Thanks!

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

We've done it both directions with our 40' DP but we're used to mountain driving.  Going east you have some long, steep ups and downs in the 6-8% range.  I guess it depends on how you feel about drives such as this and how comfortable you are with the braking of your motorhome.  I would think your DP is capable of it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You might want to get a copy of The Mountain Directory West and see what it has to say about Towne Pass.  Besides the L-O-N-G ascents/decents, there are 20, 25, & 30 mph curves.  Certainly do-able depending on your comfort driving those types of roads.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

17 hours ago, MeanderMan said:

We're visiting Lone Pine next month and I'd like to drive across Death Valley on highway 190 to Death Valley Junction.  It's not identified on my trucker's atlas as a suitable route, and I'm wondering if it's OK for my 40' DP.  Anyone made this trip?  Thanks!

It's not listed as a suitable route in the truckers atlas because commercial through truck traffic is prohibited in Death Valley National Park, as it is in most other National Parks.

Beyond that, be mindful of the comments above about sharp turns and long, steep grades going over Towne Pass, including the 20 mile continuous descent (eastbound) from the 5,000 ft. pass to sea level Stovepipe Wells.

There's no problem on the eastern half of Hwy 190, the grades and sharp corners are all between Lone Pine and Stovepope Wells.

If you have a good Internet connection, you can "fly" a route by going to Google Maps, selecting the satellite or terrain views and zooming in on the route until you can see the road details.  Use your mouse to follow the road.

Thanks, all, for the good info.  I "flew" the route on google earth (and forgot I had a copy of the Mountain Directory West), but thought firsthand experience would be helpful.  We've been full timing throughout the west for ten years in this motor home, so we'll give it a try.  Sure cuts down the mileage from Lone Pine to Las Vegas.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

The descent to Panamint Springs from the west is, like, totally awesome on a motorcycle.  

Take it cool with a heavy vehicle and stop at the look outs to stretch your eyes. Spectacular country. I have not travelled east on 190 beyond the Panamint Valley. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

It's a lovely road but...

Eastbound I would think is fine if you take it slow. Spectacular views, a few heart stopping drop-offs.

Westbound is another story. We did it once towing our fifth wheel with full tanks and will never do that again. It was the first time our Dodge tranny ever got so hot we had to pull over (and it was in November!) Lesson learned.

Happy travels!

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

• 3 weeks later...

My first and last time on this road was about 6 years ago.  I white-knuckled it down all the way, but there was a guy behind me, so at least I thought if I went over, he'd be there to help. When I got to Panamint Valley, I pulled over to wait for him  and he never showed. I wondered for days where he found to turn around. 

Archived