Fulltimer RV Insurance

JH10

We plan to go fulltime as soon as our home in Georgia is sold.  We're trying to decide where to domicile and are looking at the usual states of Florida, Texas and SD.  Does anyone have thoughts on which state offers the best value in fulltimer RV insurance? We've been told SD has the lowest rates and to avoid Florida, but in some preliminary checking, Florida seems quite reasonable, more so than SD.  Are we missing something?

Welcome to the Escapee forums! There are several factors to consider as you choose. I suggest that you do some reading on domicile before you select a state. 

Simplifying the Complex Issue of Domicile Law

Escapees on Choosing a Domicile State

The 10 Commandments of Domicile

Domicile as a Nomad

In addition consider health insurance, particularly if you are not yet Medicare eligible. I would consider convenience of travel to the chosen state and a host of other items. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the tips and references. Have used this approach to get quotes but what we were given was not always what we asked for. Just wondering if anyone out there has been through the same process. We’ll most likely use the Escapees address in whatever state we settle on and this is the address we’ve asked a couple of agencies to use in quoting. They know we’re not quite there yet. Tried to get a quote from National General for Florida and it sounded great until we examined it and found it was not even for full time although we clearly specified that. Also, it was quoted by a Good Sam agent even though we called the number given on the National General website. Nationwide, our current company, told us the rates in Florida and Texas were really high and quoted us in SD. Quote looked good for the RV but very high on the toad. Frustrating!

If you already own your RV and vehicle you plan to take on the road, you should be able to get some prices but most companies will want things like a VIN and your driver's license numbers. Premiums are very subjective and will be different for almost every individual from place to place. In most cases, the county is important as well as the state.  Here are some agencies that are popular with fulltime RV people that you may want to try:

Miller Insurance          Explorer Insurance               AIS insurance      RV Advantage

Depending on where your income is from, full timers insurance may not be in the top of your list when deciding on where to "call home".  For example, for tax purposes and vehicle registrations it is hard to beat Florida, however they can be one of the higher ones for auto and RV insurance rates.  I would rather pay an extra $500 a year on my RV policy and renew my plate each year for under $70 than the other way around, plus I know I am filing income tax in one of the most favorable states (Florida).  But that is what works best for us, looking at all factors it may not exactly fit your needs.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

FL-JOE is right.  Availability of health insurance, for some of us, Inheritance taxes, and other factors need to be considered as well.  For a good overview of full-timer's insurance, take a look at:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. Have been looking at Foremost, RV America, and Explorer RV on the web and Explorer RV seems to have some advantages for full timers, especially with 99K contents coverage as well as 99K secured storage coverage, some things we won’t have when we no longer have homeowners insurance. Other companies seem to only offer 3K contents and no outside secured storage coverage option. Of course, might not look so good once we talk to them and get an actual quote.

Any advice on how to cover things like bikes and kayaks on the car and away from the motor home or outside the RV if stolen? Seems like the RV policies and even the auto policies don’t cover this or if they do, only a small percentage of the loss.

6 hours ago, JH10 said:

Any advice on how to cover things like bikes and kayaks on the car and away from the motor home or outside the RV if stolen? Seems like the RV policies and even the auto policies don’t cover this or if they do, only a small percentage of the loss.

I’d like to know this too. We just had bicycles stolen from the back of our RV while it was parked in a lot that is fenced with a locked gate at night and security patrolled 24 hours a day while we took a trip overseas. They cut the metal locked cables- 4 of them- and all the tie down straps. One bicycle was an expensive ergonomic electric bike and our policy limit for outside items is $500 per item and $1000 per incident! (Did not know this until after the theft) Even though we have a fulltimers policy and pay extra for $20,000 worth of personal property coverage. I had read the summary of coverage but not the full policy details. Had not been provided one. You can bet I have it now!

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

We used Miller Insurance for 16+ years.  They will check around for the best price for you.  It was full-timer's insurance and our address was Texas.  We had them re-check policies every 3 years for best price.  Once a company gets you at a low price they can gradually increase the rate.

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We used Miller Insurance for 16+ years.  They will check around for the best price for you. 

We use Miller too. However, while they check around for your first quote, when you renew each year, they may not. Before I was about to renew with Miller, I got a competitive quote from FMCA. They were hundreds less for essentially the same coverage. Do your homework.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, Rover said:

I’d like to know this too.

Most policies allow you to have specifically listed items that are insured by the item for a specified amount. It isn't cheap but would cover these, I think. 

When we were fulltiming, our trailer and our 1 ton diesel dually were paid for. I never carry collision but do carry liability, medical, uninsured motorist, and non collision comprehensive. The bank requires collision so they get paid if it is your fault. I have been hit several times when I was not in my vehicle and it was parked on the street in a snow storm in base housing overseas. They left a note both times with contact info.

So since I have saved the cost of many cars and used fivers over the course of the last 50 years as I started driving at 16. So I am covered by the other's insurance for repairs in a collision as long as it is their fault. I have dash cams now in all vehicles.

So with a trailer I was not worried when USAA told me to get renter's insurance for my contents and valuable contents had a separate rider based on value. My fiver was covered by my truck insurance. And indeed, then it was totaled by a repair shop and the insurance company paid for the full value including the expenses for all the mods I made to it. I was happy with the settlement because it was twice what I paid for it used, and they knew it. But I had receipts for the new reefer, A/C unit, new axles and brakes, custom cabinets, and custom tires and rims I'd just put on it.

My point is to shop around if the RV is paid for and a trailer. Many cover the trailer with the truck insurance. Contents were covered by renter's insurance. 

I believe it is still the same except for rented trailers, but it has been a few years. Might save tyou a couple of hundred a year if you find your trailer is covered by the truck or SUV policy for basics. Motor Homes are different of course, they are a motor vehicle. But I would still not have collision insurance.

I'm not recommending anyone do as I do. Choices are the responsibility of each.

My Scamp fiver has nothing but my truck insurance for it. I am in Louisiana, the highest insurance costs in the country according to USAA.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 10/27/2018 at 1:08 PM, Rover said:

We just had bicycles stolen from the back of our RV while it was parked in a lot

our policy limit for outside items is $500 per item and $1000 per incident! (Did not know this until after the theft) 

Oh, I had not considered that.  Thanks for posting - another item to check when we start insurance shopping...

Archived