E-readers?

Velos

DH is a voracious reader and always enjoyed checking out used bookstores in our travels.  His favorite paperback book exchange is closing.  After several years of seeing the decline of hard copy he is thinking about getting an E-reader and using his library card's e-book collection. 

My questions:

What should I look for when buying an E-reader?

What features are most important to you in an E-reader?

What tips an tricks do you use with your E-reader?

What things should I avoid in an E-reader

Thank you.

I have found the Kindle Paperwhite is the best. It is black and white, has a matte screen so there is no reflection, you can read it outside, you can adjust font, font size, the brightness of the screen. Make sure you get a case. A new Kindle Paperwhite just came out and one of its benefits is that it is waterproof(or at least resistant).

There are many free books on Amazon. If you are patient you can join Kindle Unlimited which  opens up many additional books for free. Normall $9.99/month but on sale for $6.40(offered several times a year). 

It will be a learning curve for him.

There are also numerous websites that will send you lists of books each day that meet your reading taste. some for $$, some Kindle Unlimited and some free.

1 minute ago, SWharton said:

I have found the Kindle Paperwhite is the best. It is black and white, has a matte screen so there is no reflection, you can read it outside, you can adjust font, font size, the brightness of the screen. Make sure you get a case. A new Kindle Paperwhite just came out and one of its benefits is that it is waterproof(or at least resistant).

There are many free books on Amazon. If you are patient you can join Kindle Unlimited which  opens up many additional books for free. Normall $9.99/month but on sale for $6.40(offered several times a year). 

There are also numerous websites that will send you lists of books each day that meet your reading taste. some for $$, some Kindle Unlimited and some free.

Thank you, just the type of info I am looking for.

You might want to think about a small tablet that would offer more than just reading.   Dave subscribes to BookBub and he gets 1 day offers of all sorts of books for $0.99-$2.99.  Just down load them and they are always ready to read.   For us, it is even better because our phones/tablet/computer are all synched, so what ever is downloaded to one is available on any of the others.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Velos

I also got the Paperwhite - deciding the back light would come in handy especially for bedtime reading.  One thing though - you mention books through the library.  Check which readers work with the library's system.  When I became a Bushnell resident I discovered the Paperwhite was not one that worked on their system.  Through Kindle it would have had to be a Fire (other types of options available too). 

I do use the listings for free books from Amazon.  Realize these are often new authors or just one from the series.  The point being to 1) up their "sale' numbers and 2) to get you interested so you buy the other books in the series.  Mind you I have lots more books downloaded than I might ever get through nonetheless.

I also subscribe to BookBub.com but I get more books than I can read for free from them. You tell them which genres interest you and they only send you those so I guess how many are free depends on what types of books you enjoy. BookBub also lets you choose your vendors; I prefer Amazon because they keep track of what I've read which keeps me from buying duplicates.

Linda Sand

ps. I use the Kindle app on my iPad to read. Dave reads on his phone but I can't do that tiny.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have the kindle app on my phone and tablet but much prefer reading on my paperwhite. It is much easier on the eyes and very lightweight. But I second the recommendation of checking the library format first if he is set on using the library. Although I have to say I have gotten enough free books from amazon that I will never be able to read them all. I also subscribe to Bookbub and get suggestions for more free books every day.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

6 minutes ago, Rover said:

I have the kindle app on my phone and tablet but much prefer reading on my paperwhite. It is much easier on the eyes and very lightweight. But I second the recommendation of checking the library format first if he is set on using the library. Although I have to say I have gotten enough free books from amazon that I will never be able to read them all. I also subscribe to Bookbub and get suggestions for more free books every day.

Vicki

Do you get your free books from Amazon as a Amazon Prime Member?

1 minute ago, Velos said:

Do you get your free books from Amazon as a Amazon Prime Member?

I am a prime member but most of my free books are just ones that are available to everyone. A lot of it will depend on the genre. Both me and DH like mysteries, thrillers and sci-fi so there has been a lot to choose from.

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

I haven't researched all the ways to get free books on Amazon, there are several. Just free books of various genre, the Lending Library(never used), Kindle Unlimited(kind of free), Kindle Reads(monthly selection from Amazon). May be others that I don't know about. I think you are able to get e-books from your local library also.

My philosophy is  that if I see a free book I might be interested in I get it and just leave it on Amazon, don't download it to the Kindle. Amazon keeps track of all the books you "bought". My book collection is out of control. I think I  have "bought" 2500 books, read about 500 over the years. But free is free.................and it is not on my storage space.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Same for me.   I started years ago with the original Nook, but after a couple of years, there were problems with it and BN.  I switched to the Kindle e-reader mentioned above by SWharton and I completely agree about the e-reader.  I've used it for a long time and wouldn't change to anything else.  It's light, the battery lasts a while and the books download quickly.  I don't use the free library downloads.  I have a group of authors that I follow and pretty much by the time I get through the releases from them they tend to start up again.  Also, with Kindle, they have a Goodreads program and with Book Bub, I get daily e-mails with offers.  Some are free, some or $1.99 some are $2.99 and they make good fillers if needed.

My wife is the reader in our family and she also has the Kindle Paperwhite and loves it. We also use Amazon but we have found the local library to be a great source for downloadable books. It did take her a while to get used to using it and learn how to download books but now she loves it!

5 hours ago, Velos said:

What should I look for when buying an E-reader?

What features are most important to you in an E-reader?

What tips an tricks do you use with your E-reader?

What things should I avoid in an E-reader

All E-Ink based readers are more similar than different these days.  My current reader is a Kindle Oasis 2  (because it's waterproof).  Pretty much any Kindle or Kobo will serve you well.  The reason to choose Kindle over Kobo is if you want to use Amazon for your source of books.  There is also the Nook from Barnes & Noble, but B&N's future is extremely uncertain at the moment.

Choose one that has front lighting if you want to read in the dark or near-dark.  Water resistance may or may not be important to you.

Note that the Kindle Fire is a tablet, not an e-reader.  A tablet is a poor choice for extended reading due to eye strain and fatigue from the back light, inability to see it in direct sunlight, and battery life measured in hours rather than weeks.  That said, a tablet is useful for reading fixed-format or colorful content, such as magazine pdf files.  My tablet has all the back issues of Escapees and MotorHome magazines, as well as repair and technical manuals.  Everything else goes on the Kindle.  E-readers excel with reflowable format files (epub, mobi, etc.), but are less than optimal for pdf.

One last consideration is how you get the books onto the e-reader.  There are 3 choices:  USB, WiFi, and Cellular.  If you already have the books on your computer, USB is the way to go.  Use a free program called calibre to organize your library and transfer between computer and e-reader (or tablet).  Otherwise, you'll be purchasing/downloading content from Amazon, Kobo, libraries, or some other online source.  For that, you need an Internet connection.  WiFi works well only when you have a WiFi connection, obviously.  If WiFi is sketchy, you may want to purchase a model with built in Cellular.  There is no monthly plan that you need to sign up for (like a cell phone), but the initial cost of the device is significantly higher.

Hope this helps,

-Jim

I'm just using my old Samsung 7" tablet and Overdrive Library for most of my books.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

2 hours ago, OregonJim said:

All E-Ink based readers are more similar than different these days.  My current reader is a Kindle Oasis 2  (because it's waterproof).  Pretty much any Kindle or Kobo will serve you well.  The reason to choose Kindle over Kobo is if you want to use Amazon for your source of books.  There is also the Nook from Barnes & Noble, but B&N's future is extremely uncertain at the moment.

Choose one that has front lighting if you want to read in the dark or near-dark.  Water resistance may or may not be important to you.

Note that the Kindle Fire is a tablet, not an e-reader.  A tablet is a poor choice for extended reading due to eye strain and fatigue from the back light, inability to see it in direct sunlight, and battery life measured in hours rather than weeks.  That said, a tablet is useful for reading fixed-format or colorful content, such as magazine pdf files.  My tablet has all the back issues of Escapees and MotorHome magazines, as well as repair and technical manuals.  Everything else goes on the Kindle.  E-readers excel with reflowable format files (epub, mobi, etc.), but are less than optimal for pdf.

One last consideration is how you get the books onto the e-reader.  There are 3 choices:  USB, WiFi, and Cellular.  If you already have the books on your computer, USB is the way to go.  Use a free program called calibre to organize your library and transfer between computer and e-reader (or tablet).  Otherwise, you'll be purchasing/downloading content from Amazon, Kobo, libraries, or some other online source.  For that, you need an Internet connection.  WiFi works well only when you have a WiFi connection, obviously.  If WiFi is sketchy, you may want to purchase a model with built in Cellular.  There is no monthly plan that you need to sign up for (like a cell phone), but the initial cost of the device is significantly higher.

Hope this helps,

-Jim

Good info regarding how to get the books on the reader.  Thank you.

I started with one of the original Kindles and later upgraded to the Paperwhite. Then I was given a free tablet (Samsung). 

I have no issues reading on the tablet and it stays in the living area of my trailer and it goes outside when I feel like reading outside. It goes to appointments where I may need to wait. I like the color screen of the tablet and the ability to do more than just read. The tablet has it's own (Cellular) internet connection plus the built in WiFi, so I can stream video, send and receive emails and play on the internet, if I choose. The tablet can be synced with my bluetooth earpiece for watching movies in a waiting room without bothering others. I also use it as my GPS when I travel. I mount it on the dash and can use one of many programs (Google Maps, CoPilot, etc) for navigation. I can research campgrounds, use the AllStays app or whatever else I need on the road. It is way more than just an e-reader. I never imagined that I would enjoy it as much as I do. I'm glad I was given a free one because I never would have bought it...but if it dies I will buy another now that I realize its potential.

The Paperwhite stays on the night stand for bedtime reading. The books sync between devices so the stopping place on one is the starting place on the other.

Both devices are unique and have their own pro's and con's. Go to a big box store and look at all of your options. Check with your cell phone provider also to see what options you have through them. See what works best for you and go from there. They are both so cheap these days that having more than one is very easy to do. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I use the Moon+ Reader Pro app on my Android phone, tablet, and with an Android emulator, on my PC. All three stay synchronized, so I can start reading a book on one device and then pick up right where I left off on another device. Moon+ reads multiple format books, and I use the Calibre e-Book Manager on my PC to convert books from one format to another as needed before transferring them to a folder that automatically updates them to my other devices using DropBox. Like the others, I also subscribe to BookBub, and also get many free books from Amazon and Amazon Prime. Using 3rd party Calibre add-ons, I can convert Amazon's proprietary DRM format to a standard unprotected epub, mobi, etc, format for reading with Moon+ or other reader apps. As a side affect, that also removes the time limit from library books from Overdrive, etc. The add-ons do get into some copyright grey areas though...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Big fiver, it is too easy to have more than one tablet. As well as full Windows computers in tablet form factor, that do full programs and Apps with any Windows tablet.

For Apple to equal the Windows tablet they'd need to be able to run apps, and all OSX Mac programs on the iPad too. And make their all in one Mac computers with touch screens and have Macs run iPad apps too. And the iPads would need to add a micro SD card capability so storage can be instantly swapoable in 128-200GB SD cards. I have a 128GB card in all our phones and tablets except the HDX Fire tablets with no SD card that were patterned after the iPad five years ago, and long gone.

I use the kindle app on all my devices. We have six PCs Surface Pros and desktops. I also am the reader in the house. I started with the first Kindles and the Dell venue 11 pro tablet. I finally bought the paperwhite, just as I got into Fire Tablets. I bought the 8.9" HDX tablet, then two 7" Fire HDX. Then we bought an 8" newer Fire tablet, then finally the newest (so far) 10" full HD Fire tablet and 2017 8" for my wife.

I never read outdoors. One reason we're moving to Colorado is the humidity and gnats and mosquito here that eat me alive if I don't use a bunch of Deet.

My bedside/bathroom reading and music device is the old 8.9" HDX Fire tablet,4th generation that is still supported and even does Alexa by push button. But it has only 32GB of storage and no micro SS card or other external storage without jumping through hoops. But with the Origami cover it the best in bed or on the throne. I have music unlimited and a Bose Soundlink in each of the two johns paired with my Tablets and phone, which has a 128GB micro SD card, as does the new Fire 10" tablet. But with the Amazon music unlimited service playlists, stations, and free albums/singles, I am set for reading/background music, online and off.

So for streaming and only speaking for me, for Reading in bed and out, the perfect size and cover, it is the HDX 8.9 with Origami cover or 8" HD Fire Tablet. For productivity the 10"HD with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-iThrough-Bluetooth-Magnetically-Detachable/dp/B076FMFZDK?keywords=10"+Fire+tablet+keyboard+cover&qid=1540617783&sr=1-1-catcorr&ref=sr_1_1

https://www.amazon.com/IVSO-Keyboard-DETACHABLE-Wireless-Generation/dp/B075T3X89R?keywords=10"+Fire+tablet+keyboard+cover&qid=1540617898&sr=1-2-catcorr&ref=sr_1_2

However without unlimited high speed Internet, I would have to go with the newer 8" Fire Tablet as not too big and not too small, or the 10" As an all around tablet. Why? Because with a now under $25.00 128GB Micro SD card you can pack all the books and music you want. And with Prime download several movies when at free Internet to watch later.

For doctor's offices and other waiting situations I get by just fine with my phone, the 5.5" Motorola Z Play. I have several Bluetooth keyboards for the Amazon Fire Tablets and typecovers for the Surface Pros. I'm one now while watching The Late Show. I use the onscreen keyboard in my easy chair for quick lookups. It is simple to jailbreak the Fire Tablets to use the Google play store although I haven't done it. Then I could load all the Microsoft Office Apps and not need the Surface Pro tablets. The newest 10" with a nice BT keyboard makes it a cheap,all around device.

So for indoors the 8.9"HDX with full 1080p HD, or the 10" which has full HD too. The 8" is only 720p HD, but check them out at Best buy and they are pretty good for tight budgets.

The 10" is on sale for $119.99. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6RPGKG/ref=fs_ods_tab_sz

The HDX 8.9 is discontinued and only available used.

The new HD 8" is on sale for $59.99 https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tablet-Hands-Free-Alexa-Display/dp/B0794RHPZD/ref=pd_lutyp_cxhsh_5_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0794RHPZD&pd_rd_r=c34bb1df-b0e2-4e20-a3c6-fec03e935c96&pd_rd_w=3LcW2&pd_rd_wg=k1azo&psc=1&refRID=BW5JDZ6H5AVS98B9635E

Without unlimited data plans Alexa or any personal assistant can use too much data, but content for books, movies, music can be downloaded to use offline. There is no better deal for HD tablets at $59.99 & $119.99 that can do everything an iPad can do.

So outdoor readers only, the Kindle paperwhite Is $129.99 https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Ereader-Family/b/?ie=UTF8&node=6669702011&ref_=sv_devicesubnav_4

The Fire tablets have a wide range of Covers with and without built in Keyboards. And the SD card storage in addition to the onboard storage makes the Fires unbeatable in bang for the buck without getting funky off brand Androids.

For running all those apps and Windows programs you have to go Windows tablets and I suggest no less than 64GB storage and 4GB RAM.

BTW many folks can't tell the difference between 1080p full HD and 720p like the 8" Fire tablets have.

I can't speak to apple iPads as without cheap SD card storage and the ability to modify without losing warranty makes them too little bang for the buck for me.

YMMV

PS, I just ordered one of these for the 10" Fire Tablet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNXZ4CC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It actually changes the newest 10" Fire tablet to show mode making the $119.99 10" tablet we already have into a $229.99 Echo Show: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SXWSRP/ref=s9_acss_bw_sc_EchoCPht_ar_s2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-top-2&pf_rd_r=RKYCTZK7SAJCV65CVJDC&pf_rd_r=RKYCTZK7SAJCV65CVJDC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=585fa521-dfad-44f7-bf94-a92078dc505c&pf_rd_p=585fa521-dfad-44f7-bf94-a92078dc505c&pf_rd_i=9818047011

Long but hope that added a few data points to e readers, e-ink readers, and Fire tablets as readers and content/media players.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We love our Nook.  Most Ereaders will have the same features these days.  We download free books from our Library.  Sometimes there is a week or two waiting list on new titles, but we get notifications.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I have an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and love it! 

The newest Paperwhite is waterproof!

Words To Live By:

• " Welcome To Our Campsite Where Friends And Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time" - Me
  • " Every problem in the world can be fixed with one of two items. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40." - Rving Review

States I've Visited:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I bought a Kindle Fire because I wanted a cheap tablet. I now only use my laptop for serious typing or other heavy duty work. I discovered the Kindle reading part and love it. I use my local library ebooks and buy an occasional Amazon book. Love the dual use. Only drawback is an occasional glare on the screen but no big deal...just tilt the tablet slightly and it's gone.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Archived