Is this really true?

Chalkie

I read a news article about a Jimmy John's driver that took a veteran on disability to an emergency room as the vet "didn't have Department of Veterans Affairs' approval to call an ambulance". Is this really true? You have to jump through silly hoops if there is an emergency?

I am a veteran but do not use the VA, but this just sounds fishy to me. Hopefully one of you all that do use VA services can enlighten me. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I don't want to start false information but I believe there can be an issue in some cases and it would good to get the correct information now so you will know.  I think I know more than I remember😀 and I should update my knowledge about this sooner than later.

"Veterans do not need to check with VA before calling for an ambulance or going to an ER. However, promptly notifying the nearest VA medical facility of the emergency care and transportation is very important in VA being able to potentially reimburse costs."

https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/docs/pubfiles/factsheets/FactSheet_20-05.pdf

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

20 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

The VA doesn't have ambulance service. To say they denied ambulance service is totally wrong. Either delete your post or get the accurate information.

No reason for the OP to delete his post.  He didn't "say they denied ambulance service", he simply quoted an article that he had read and asked here if it was accurate.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

This is the article from the Kansas City Star:  https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article220598360.html  

From that article:

"She wrote that her brother, who lives on disability, couldn’t afford a cab and thought he couldn’t call 911 for an ambulance without prior authorization from the VA."

That equals a misunderstanding on the part of the veteran, not a shortcoming of VA Healthcare.  As a veteran, myself, I always try to follow up on what I read.

Cathy

If indeed an emergency, personally I would get the ambulance transport first, and sort the payment out later.

Vets, or their designated medical Power Of Attorney (POA) holder and/or Living Will designated decision maker should contact the VA if the vet is unable as soon as possible.

In an emergency it is too late to do a living will and POA. We have our living wills and last wills done and copies for our estate executor designated in both.

It's also taking care of your survivors. Some families have bitter situations develop when the family members have to make the hard decisions because we did not make them as we want in writing.

As retirees we use a base legal office. Our current ones will only be good until we move to Colorado and at that time we will go to the nearest base and have them updated to Colorado law.

An ambulance ride is cheap if your life is on the line.

Remember, you earned your veteran benefits, it isn't welfare.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Medical power of attorney forms are available free on the internet.  We filled them out and had a bank notary sign off on them.  I learned about their existence from the VA when I wanted to check on something involving my husband over the phone with the VA Hospital.  I was told to send a copy for our records to the VA.  We carry them with us along with guardianship papers for our adult son. 

So many of these "VA Healthcare" stories are kind of like the "fish" stories by the time they get passed around the internet.   

Cathy

On 10/27/2018 at 7:32 AM, TheDuke said:

The VA doesn't have ambulance service. To say they denied ambulance service is totally wrong. Either delete your post or get the accurate information.

Yes, I understand. Why should I delete my post? I asked a question about something I read in a news article  and I am TRYING to get accurate information as regards statements in that article. How is that spreading false information?

21 hours ago, SnowGypsy said:

This is the article from the Kansas City Star:  https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article220598360.html  

From that article:

"She wrote that her brother, who lives on disability, couldn’t afford a cab and thought he couldn’t call 911 for an ambulance without prior authorization from the VA."

That equals a misunderstanding on the part of the veteran, not a shortcoming of VA Healthcare.  As a veteran, myself, I always try to follow up on what I read.

Thanks, SnowGypsy. I read the article on Fox, however, your comment pretty much sums up what I was thinking. I can not imagine having to get advanced permission to call an ambulance or 911 in an emergency situation. I am with RV_, I would call 911 and sort the billing out later. 

If anyone takes the time to click on the link I posted earlier, they'll have the factual "from the horses mouth" information relative to the VA and ambulance service...

Dutch

I did click on the article, but wanted to follow up on the story itself as anymore reporters often put their own spin on a story, and this story was carried by a few different sites.  One can sign up for "email updates" at the va.gov website to help keep up with any changes, and it is the government, so there will always be changes.

Cathy

Thanks for the update, Cathy. It seemed that there was still some confusion in some of the postings, so I thought a reference to the link might help clear things up.

Dutch

Archived