must haves

virginiasean

Doing a 7 week, west to east coast trip in a class C motorhome that we have hired from Road Bear. We have hired all the "packs"  which give us all the main kitchen equipment, bed linen etc (we have an RV in UK so sort of know what we will need) but we know we are going to need a lot more than is provided on such a long trip to make our journey comfortable. Could you guys please give me some tips on the items we should have or the items you would not or could not do without, that you think we will need to purchase on our first stop after pick up ...WALMART! (in UK actual camping shops tend to be more expensive ) we have plenty of space as its a 7 berth and there is only 2 of us.......

thanks 

Virginia

From what you have said, I suspect that this isn't your first US trip? The RV should come equipped with the needed hoses and such but I suggest that you may want to use a water filter on the water supply hose as it will remove most of the taste from water which does vary from one area of the country to the next. If you enjoy campfires then a small ax may also be helpful. (Firewood is nearly always for sale near camping areas but may be in large chunks.) I don't see anything on the Road Bear site to say if it has leveling jacks, but if it doesn't you will need some type of leveling blocks. I would add a set of wheel chocks to my list and a butane lighter or two.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

thanks everyone ......Kirk this is our first USA trip. we are very new to RVing in the UK so far have only gone on trips no longer than 4 hours away from home! this is a very big adventure for us hence all the questions. I really am spending lots of time on research but all you guys on here have been invaluable with advice and routes etc. Already have half our RV parks booked and a cottage in LA and a tour guide for LA! 

I will tell Sean all the things you recommend....we already have chairs with the Rv but will find out about the rest of the things. I must admit I was thinking more domestic stuff.....(a large outdoor rug for one thing a washing line for another)

are all these things available in Walmart?

2 hours ago, virginiasean said:

I must admit I was thinking more domestic stuff.....(a large outdoor rug for one thing a washing line for another)

are all these things available in Walmart?

Most of those items are available at some Walmart stores but they don't all carry the same items in stock. Walmart has the Patio Mats in some stores but not all. Most commercial RV parks do not allow the use of clotheslines but they usually are available from Walmart in some locations. The links that I have given are for Walmart online and not everything will be found in every store. Many Walmart stores have little trade from RV folks and so carry very few items in the store.  A much better choice of a good supply of things to outfit the RV would be a Camping World Store. Those stores are equipped with nearly anything an RV user may want or need with most of the items in stock and immediately available, while with Walmart it will depend on what store you happen to visit what they have in stock. 

Walmart is still a good choice for things like kitchen supplies that you may want, disposable dishes, and even foodstuff. Walmart usually has a pretty large sporting goods department and it has outdoor use items that you may want as well, even if their RV specific section happens to be small. Because I have never rented an RV I am not sure just what will be in it when you pick it up.  Walmart will have things like laundry and dish detergents and pretty much any domestic supplies, much of which will not be in a Camping World store. 

I am very interested in your experiences as you travel here because my wife and I are toying with the idea of renting an RV in UK or possibly in Europe in the not too distant future. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Blue Dawn dish detergent. This will clean things well without messing up your black tank's digestive system.

For washing dishes we bought a silicone bowl that fit in part of our sink leaving space for running water to rinse dishes.

We did not invest in a patio mat because we did not have room to store it. We did like visiting with friends who have them, though. We did buy a flannel-backed table cloth to use as a ground cloth in case of the need to crawl under the rig. That also works well for picnics or to cover dicey picnic tables.

As Kirk said, many RV parks forbid clothes lines. We bought a tension-fit shower rod to put INSIDE our shower to use to hang wet things. That worked well for swim suits and rain coats.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Since you said that you are renting an RV for a short period of time I would not go overboard with buying a lot of things. You can buy paper plates and bowls with plastic forks and knives. Then you don’t have to wash dishes. Ask the rental company to supply your or rent you the electrical adaptors, they can add up in dollars if you buy them. Same with levining blocks. The rental agency should have some to loan you. If not then just get some wood blocks or 2x4s. A Water filter may be good but you may save money by buying bottled water.  You don’t need an expensive water pressure regulator either, if the rental agency doesn’t supply one just buy a cheep $15 one without a gage. Pick up a couple of cheep lawn chairs at WalMart, not expensive ones at Camping World. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The rental company should have a package of basic utencils.  If you need kitchen things a good place would be at a thrift shop such as Goodwill which is a country-wide chain of stores. They also have a huge selection of clothes/coats in case you didn't want to bring a lot yourself. There are many others individually operated in most towns. Browse as you travel.  When finished with your trip you could donate everything to Goodwill for someone else to use.  WalMart or Target will have better prices than Camping World except for specific RV-related items.  Camping World's kitchen items are very expensive.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

When we rented a Class C, the kitchen kit was nearly worthless. Buy only what you know you will use. If you normally don't bake when RVing then don't buy bakeware. If you prefer a microwave to a stovetop, buy glass bowls and measuring cups. Etc. I used my glass measuring cup to heat water in the microwave for making hot beverages so I didn't even need a tea kettle.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I wouldn't buy anything. Within a day or two on the road you will know what you need for your style of RVing. Keep it simple and enjoy the journey.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

In the camping area, Walmart has a bunch of brightly colored flashlights for $1 and they even have a battery included.  Buy a handful for walking around at night or looking at things inside that might not be illuminated. 

And since you are just renting, I agree about kitchen stuff.  Stick to as little as you can--a couple of mugs and some paper plates and plastic silverware.  Camping World offers some nice stuff, but is much more expensive than Walmart.  Good idea about thrift stores and Dollar Stores having good bargains. 

And I'll bet a neighbor will be willing to lend you something if you get really stuck.  Have fun!

12 hours ago, Solo18 said:

In the camping area, Walmart has a bunch of brightly colored flashlights for $1 and they even have a battery included.  Buy a handful for walking around at night or looking at things inside that might not be illuminated. 

And store one in your pocket so you don't leave home without it. Before figuring that out, I can't tell you how many times we went to visit neighbors in the daylight then walked home in the dark.

Linda Sand

And I lost my motorhome once in a very dark campground because I did exactly what Linda did.  Except I had also not left any lights on in my RV.  I ended up wandering around a barely moonlit campground trying to find my home on wheels, so I never go out without leaving on a light or two and carrying a flashlight.  Also a good idea to carry a couple when hiking.  Almost got lost on a poorly marked trail until a couple came along and helped me get back on track.

And fellow campers will be incredibly helpful if you need something. 

thanks for all your suggestions I have made a list (among many others lists) and we will certianly donate everything at the end to goodwill when we finish. I have made a list of everything you all suggest. 

Kirk I will defiantly share our RV experiences with you I tried to take a screen shot of our route (as many on here have helped to arrange it) and upload it to this forum but it said the file was too big.

so far our experience of camp sites and making bookings this far ahead is that, some are taking bookings, some have sites that are already full (beach front and premium spots) and some are not even open for bookings! a frustrating thing I have found is that one site wants a vehicle licence number so no thought there about people who hire! everyone on the phone has been helpful however. 

My I add ---- make sure every thing works BEFORE you leave the rental yard.  Ask the rental folks to show you how all the stuff attaches to all the other things.   I'd spent a few days in the area of the rental place using and learning how everything works.   RVing in the US is a bit different then RVing in EU.   Learn how to work the dump tanks (gray and black).  Assume you can't dump gray water anyplace but in Official Dump Tanks.  Dump tank management  will be the biggest difference.    

I'd recommend buying or bringing a large blanket.   Use this to block the cab from the rest of the RV.   The cab area is the least insulated area.  Heat or cold will escape or come in there the fastest.   When you park the blanket will keep the RV cool or warm longer with the cab area separated from the 'living' space.    

You didn't say what time of year you tour is going to be or were.  West to East is different in different times of year and different depending on north, central, or south crossing.

You didn't say if one or both of you will be driving the RV.   I'd limit the distance.   250 to 300 is a very common distance for one day.   Trust me this is a very large county.    Using apps like RV Parky will help you get from one spot to another with no set points.    Gas Buddy can be your friend for finding cheaper gas.     If you join Costco you can get the cheapest gas in most places were there is a Costco Fuel station.

31 minutes ago, colddog15 said:

I'd recommend buying or bringing a large blanket.   Use this to block the cab from the rest of the RV.   The cab area is the least insulated area.  Heat or cold will escape or come in there the fastest.   When you park the blanket will keep the RV cool or warm longer with the cab area separated from the 'living' space.    

I bought a length-adjustable rod to go across the back of the cab area in my van. I also bought an insulated, light-blocking curtain--both from Walmart. That curtain draped over the rod helped with light as well as heat/cold.

Linda Sand

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 8:02 PM, colddog15 said:

My I add ---- make sure every thing works BEFORE you leave the rental yard.  Ask the rental folks to show you how all the stuff attaches to all the other things.   I'd spent a few days in the area of the rental place using and learning how everything works.   RVing in the US is a bit different then RVing in EU.   Learn how to work the dump tanks (gray and black).  Assume you can't dump gray water anyplace but in Official Dump Tanks.  Dump tank management  will be the biggest difference.    

You didn't say what time of year you tour is going to be or were.  West to East is different in different times of year and different depending on north, central, or south crossing.

You didn't say if one or both of you will be driving the RV.   I'd limit the distance.   250 to 300 is a very common distance for one day.   Trust me this is a very large county.    Using apps like RV Parky will help you get from one spot to another with no set points.    Gas Buddy can be your friend for finding cheaper gas.     If you join Costco you can get the cheapest gas in most places were there is a Costco Fuel station.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I'm just starting my research into the lifestyle before I purchase. 
The first thing that I have been looking for is the answer to the question..."what is the largest RV Network that can provide comprehensive information to it's Users?" Such as... a list of all possible tow companies and service centers around the country should an RVer need them? 
If I can find that Network, than I know that they would have pretty much any info I need.
Thank You
RoadMan

58 minutes ago, RoadMan said:

Hello, 

The first thing that I have been looking for is the answer to the question..."what is the largest RV Network that can provide comprehensive information to it's Users?" Such as... a list of all possible tow companies and service centers around the country should an RVer need them? 
If I can find that Network, than I know that they would have pretty much any info I need.
Thank You
RoadMan

I don't think there is such a network.  When/if you break down or need repairs just Google for the city your in or near.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, RoadMan said:

Hello, 

Thank You
RoadMan

For potential breakdowns and road service needs, many of us are members of one of several roadside assistance plans that include towing to a capable service center, tire changes, lock out and out of fuel services, and a variety of other related services. Some include 24/7 phone support for non-emergency problems as well for RV appliances, etc. The plan providers will also offer suggestions for nearby tire dealers, service shops, etc., for non-emergencies if asked.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

17 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

For potential breakdowns and road service needs, many of us are members of one of several roadside assistance plans that include towing to a capable service center, tire changes, lock out and out of fuel services, and a variety of other related services.

Dead battery on our towed vehicle due to operator error. My fault not Dave's because I urged him to push it past its limits.

Linda Sand

Archived