Fuel-water seperator, how often do you change it?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I am now in Payson Arizona, while driving here and looking at my gauges I still have 75 PSI of fuel pressure this is normal but I noticed my fuel filter restriction gauge has moved from green to red.  So I am going to replace the fuel filter but I don't know if I should replace the fuel-water separator filter at the same time.  This is the first truck I have had that has such a device or if the Freightliner had one I have no idea where it was located but it had two fuel filters where the Pete only has one and the fuel-water separator.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Yes, replace both at the same time.

Howdy Jim,

Thanks, will do.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I expect  ALL big Diesel engines to have water separators somewhere in their fuel delivery systems. Since I've never needed more than one required service each year, I bring my Freightliner   Super-C to either a Cummins or Freightliner shop for the annual service. I might be paying a bit more than at an independent shop but, should I have a problem down the road, Freightliner / Cummins can't say a service was NOT performed properly because THEY did all the required service. For $20/year, I belong to the Cummins Power Club which gets me discounts at Cummins and participating Freightliner shops.

I am new to this, but a you tube vid detailed that the separator filter should be changed when the fuel approaches the top of the separator. Based on some service records that came with the truck, the filters had not been changed in 4 years. I also noticed some black crap when I drained some fuel from the separator. It does not appear my Volvo (d12) had had an oil change in 4 years as well. I needed a fresh starting point, so I went for a complete service at Speedco, plus oil analysis. Waiting on results.

Howdy All,

I have seen on other makes of trucks, a filter with a glass bulb on it, I am "assuming" this to be the fuel-water separator.  However on my Pete, which has a 6NZ C-15 Cat engine, the fuel-water separator has no see through glass bulb, it is a spin on filter that has no provision for seeing the fluid inside of it. 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

There are different types and styles of water separator type filters. Most assume when referring to a water separator that it means the “Davco” brand which has the see through glass canister.  You can easily see the fuel level indicating the “useful life” left in the filter. Lots of trucks out there do not have the “Davco” filter but instead have a spin on canister type water separator filter.  Please do yourself a favor and make sure that the correct brand and filter part # is used. Lots of problems can occur when the wrong filter is installed. Unfortunately you won’t find this out until you get down the road!  YMMV

http://www.davco.com/

2 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I have seen on other makes of trucks, a filter with a glass bulb on it, I am "assuming" this to be the fuel-water separator.  However on my Pete, which has a 6NZ C-15 Cat engine, the fuel-water separator has no see through glass bulb, it is a spin on filter that has no provision for seeing the fluid inside of it. 

Dave

I don't have a Davco either.  Just a Fleetgard water separator filter and main fuel filter.  I replace mine at every oil change.  The last ones I bought didn't even have a plastic bowl on the bottom, just the drain valve.   Racor makes different models with see thru bowls, inclosed etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have opened the drain valve on my fuel/water filter and never got anything out except fuel. Don’t even bother any more. I do carry 3-4 spare filters as I was getting plugged filters from a black substance. I think it is from the high bio content in the Arizona diesel. After about 4 filters it has improved greatly.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Howdy All,

Where I now am, Payson AZ, I couldn't get any real Caterpillar filters the best I could come up with were NAPA Gold filters which I am told are made by WIX a reputable company.  I posted this same question over on a trucker list that I have been on for the last 6 years pretty good advise from folks who do this for a living.  Anyway I bought new fuel-water filters and fuel filters, changed out the fuel water filter and after I removed it there was a lot of scum on the top of it.  Put the new fuel-water filter in place, started the truck and the filter restriction gauge which had been reading 5 at idle and went into the red at 7 when driving, now read 1.5 at idle I'll see what it reads when I leave the morning of the 25th when under a load climbing the mountains when I leave from here.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, noteven said:

Non Davco trucks should have a primary filter first in line from the tanks and a secondary on the engine. 

Howdy noteven,

That;s the way my Pete, is setup.  The fuel-water filter is frame mounted before the fuel pump, the fuel filter is engine mounted after the fuel pump.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Filters are rated by the micron size they allow to pass.  For years, 10 micron was common.  Much of the newer things take 2 micron filters, and some are very expensive.  Our harvester, (combine to farm folk) takes a pair at about $100/kit.  I run 2 micron spin-ons on my transfer pump to catch most of the crumbs.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

You did change both filters right!

Howdy DM,

Yup.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, noteven said:

Dave is that CAT pulling the grades ok? :)

Howdy noteven,

Yes, it does.  The only thing that slows it down is slower traffic that I can't get around, sharp curves and my not wanting to get a ticket.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It better be.... He has enough gears to make it happen!

Howdy Jim,

Having the 18 speed makes mountain driving a real treat, being able to split gears makes it easy to maintain speed with out having to rev the heck out of the engine, I really do love this truck.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, beemergary said:

My 1984 Pete has the filter on frame that can just be washed out. I run Cat filters on the secondary and after a few thousand miles have seen the fuel pressure drop a few pounds. Heard Cat filters have a high rate filtering. Real truck drivers always carry a spare filter.

Howdy beemergary,

I had spares of just about anything a person would need when I had the Freightliner, I am building my spare parts package for the Pete, today when I bought the filters I also got an air governor and a full set of spare belts.  I am getting there with this truck, when I sold the Freightliner, Gene and Kat, were pleasantly surprised by all the spare parts that came with the truck to include both cam and crank sensors, which will be added to the Pete's spare parts kit.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

The CAT filters are 2 micron absolute, while the WIX are nominal.  Don't think I'd risk it and would change the engine mounted one out for the CAT when you get home.  Western States in Pasco on your way home will have them sitting on the shelf.  No pre-filling that one through the center hole either - get a Mityvac or one of those filter plugger things or something to do that one.  Frame one probably don't matter between the brands so much.  BTW, your dash gauge is only reading the frame filter and not both.

2 hours ago, Scrap said:

The CAT filters are 2 micron absolute, while the WIX are nominal.  Don't think I'd risk it and would change the engine mounted one out for the CAT when you get home.  Western States in Pasco on your way home will have them sitting on the shelf.  No pre-filling that one through the center hole either - get a Mityvac or one of those filter plugger things or something to do that one.  Frame one probably don't matter between the brands so much.  BTW, your dash gauge is only reading the frame filter and not both.

Howdy Brian,

Thanks for that information.  When I get back home it will be time for a service so the filters will be changed out to Cat filters, I always fill the filters through the little holes that surround the large hole, I have one of those squeeze bulb syfun (sp)  thingamabobs that works well for pre-filling the filters.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived