CCC question regarding towing

OregonJim

I'm trying to compare cargo carrying capacity among several rigs.

Am I right in assuming that towing a car 4-down will not affect CCC since the tongue weight is (essentially) zero?

In other words, does towing a car 4-down figure into any of the weight calculations beyond simply making sure the weight of the car is less than the hitch capacity? 

Thanks,

-Jim

The toad's GVWR weight is added to the tow Vehicle's GVWR to determine the GCWR.

The CCC is a useless number that is only available the instant the RV leaves the plant as fluids are added.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Hi Jim - yes compare your toads weight to the rigs “ max trailer weight rating” or figure it into the Gross Combination Weight Rating GCWR as Mark said ^. 

Traet the toad as a trailer with no tongue weight?  -yes.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

14 minutes ago, noteven said:

yes compare your toads weight to the rigs “ max trailer weight rating” or figure it into the Gross Combination Weight Rating GCWR

Both of these limits should be observed and in addition, there is a weight limit on the hitch receiver. Most gas coaches have a limit of 5000# and diesel coaches usually have more. 

As to the CCC rating, it used to be common and was high because it did not allow for anything in fuel, water, and waste tanks but the more common term now is NCC which is net carrying capacity and that is useful. When you look at the weight that you put into the RV you also need to use care about the placement of heavy items as storage location doesn't always align with the axle weight ratings.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The CCC is a useless number that is only available the instant the RV leaves the plant as fluids are added.

Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly then.  When I say CCC, I'm talking about the number that I calculate starting with the GVWR and subtracting things like full holding tank weight, full gas tank, etc.  Not a number that is printed anywhere on the coach.  In other words, I'm trying to determine the REAL cargo carrying capacity under worst case conditions - and it appears that the 4-down toad won't affect that particular number in any way.

Thanks,

-Jim

1 hour ago, OregonJim said:

Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly then.  When I say CCC, I'm talking about the number that I calculate starting with the GVWR and subtracting things like full holding tank weight, full gas tank, etc.  Not a number that is printed anywhere on the coach.  In other words, I'm trying to determine the REAL cargo carrying capacity under worst case conditions - and it appears that the 4-down toad won't affect that particular number in any way.

The best way to get the real CCC is to load up with fluids and people then drive to a CAT scale. CAT scales certify their accuracy.

Then once loaded go get a 4-wheel weigh so you know which parts of your load need to shift from one corner to another.

You rig will drive so nicely once you adjust everything.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

The best way to get the real CCC is to load up with fluids and people then drive to a CAT scale. CAT scales certify their accuracy.

Then once loaded go get a 4-wheel weigh so you know which parts of your load need to shift from one corner to another.

You rig will drive so nicely once you adjust everything.

Linda Sand

If I had a coach, I'd do exactly that.  However, I'm still researching coaches and trying to compare carrying capacity based on specs alone.

Thanks,

-Jim

11 hours ago, OregonJim said:

I'm trying to determine the REAL cargo carrying capacity under worst case conditions - and it appears that the 4-down toad won't affect that particular number in any way.

You are almost correct. There is another weight rating called GCWR(gross combined weight rating) that you must also be aware of. That is the total weight that your brakes are designed to stop and your chassis to control, even with brakes on what is being towed. It is typically about 3000 to 5000# more than the GVWR but can be important if you expect to tow a vehicle as most of us do.

10 hours ago, OregonJim said:

If I had a coach, I'd do exactly that.  However, I'm still researching coaches and trying to compare carrying capacity based on specs alone.

I understand. You can only get a ballpark figure that way but it is a place to start.

We made driving over a scale part of our test drive once we got to that stage of shopping. At PPL in Houston the nearest scale is at a gravel yard. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

15 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

You are almost correct. There is another weight rating called GCWR(gross combined weight rating) that you must also be aware of. That is the total weight that your brakes are designed to stop and your chassis to control, even with brakes on what is being towed. It is typically about 3000 to 5000# more than the GVWR but can be important if you expect to tow a vehicle as most of us do.

Yes, thanks for reminding me of that.  Just because a coach says it has a towing capacity of 10,000 pounds doesn't necessarily mean that GCWR is 10,000 pounds more than GVWR (though it *should* be close).  Ugh, so much math, so much marketing jargon...

6 hours ago, OregonJim said:

(though it *should* be close)

Perhaps with an RV but it comes from the truck world where they have a very wide range in what they carry while towing. You will have a maximum towing weight that is based on things like the hitch receiver structure and frame, the hitch will have a limit that is designed by the hitch manufacturer that sold that hitch to the coachbuilder and it usually exceeds the maximum towing limit. The maximum towing weight is frequently more than the difference between GVWR and GCWR since GCWR is based on the total safe weight and your brakes and such do not care if the weight they are sopping is on the vehicle or being towed by it. Pickup trucks constantly tow weights that would far exceed the GCWR if they were loaded to the GVWR but that is seldom or never the case when towing. When you get into the bus conversions and higher end coaches, those may have GVWR as high as 60k# and would be very unusual if they were loaded to that point. A motorhome owner who chooses to tow a very lightweight vehicle or no vehicle at all need not be as limited in what he carries onboard as would be one of us who tow a car or SUV. 

Archived