How to winterize residential frig

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

How do you winterize a residential frig with an ice maker ? The frig in question is an Insignia 20.7 cu. ft. model # NS-RFD 21 SS7 . The frig has no water filter.

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I would still use rv antifreeze with the air blowout.  On my fridge i could not activate the icemaker without tapeing the fridge light "off" and using a jumper wire to run the icemaker till antifreeze came out.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

I simply connect the input (suction) side of the pump into a jug of RV antifreeze, turn on the pump and ice maker and let it sit until I see pink ice (slush).  I have to do the same for the washer/dryer until I see pink water in the machine.  Of course, the water heater is in bypass mode.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

• 10 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 10:00 AM, orca said:

I would still use rv antifreeze with the air blowout.  On my fridge i could not activate the icemaker without tapeing the fridge light "off" and using a jumper wire to run the icemaker till antifreeze came out.

One must exercise care when using the jumper to induce the ice maker to operate, more than 15-16 seconds may burn out the heater element in the ice maker tray.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 hours ago, Anthony said:

Hi Al,

just wondering how you made out winterizing your Insignia fridge?

i have the same model, the manual offers no helpful information....

Thank you,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

The winterizing worked out ok. I don't use the ice maker. My water line going to the frig is shut off under the sink in my trailer. The folks here on the forum will give you good advice. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "