Bush Repairs

runaway parents

It is great to be able to do bush repairs. I.E.welding with batteries and jumper cables.It is ok to do this to get you to the nearest weld shop to fix properly .It is not ok to travel 200 miles knowing you have jerry rigged up something that could endanger yourself and the general public!!!!!!!!!! Being a Washington State Certified Welder I am trained to spot bad welds .And driving down the road knowing you have a questionable weld and continue to do so is irresponsible!!!!!!!GET IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

We had a couple guys run a front wheel bearing off the front of a Chev pickup one winter day. They made a ski out of a nice birch log and skidded their way out of the bush north of Fort Mac. It was -35. This was before Ft Mac caused all the climate global change warming in the world.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

14 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

(I assume this is a response/reaction to a post on Facebook)

I think so. Thing is I seen that post. His jumper cable weld looks better then my welds with a real welder in the shop!

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

16 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

(I assume this is a response/reaction to a post on Facebook)

Yup critical welds like these need to be done correctly. There is a lot of liability involved in this area. if this caused an accident the lawyers would be all over this. And as far as being a weld inspector  sure I would love to be one.

Your welds are a result of your manufacturers welders, some are good and some are not. Bottom line, get under there with a flashlight every now and then and look for bad welds. Most trailer and 5th wheelers are  not made to Porsche or Mercedes standards..Its called due diligence.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

9 hours ago, jcussen said:

Your welds are a result of your manufacturers welders, some are good and some are not. Bottom line, get under there with a flashlight every now and then and look for bad welds. Most trailer and 5th wheelers are  not made to Porsche or Mercedes standards..Its called due diligence.

This is very true  don't  think I could not sleep at night knowing I had jerry rigged up some critical welds that has the potential of killing someone on the highway. And continued to drive it down the road with out getting it fixed correctly. Don t  get me wrong I am not putting the guy down for being able to weld with a batteries witch was pretty impressive but the end result the weld had pinholes and a lack of penetration which has a potential of failing again.I was ok with this until he told me it has gone over 200 miles and still holding . this is where I had to jump of the band wagon a lot of people that responded to that post was in aw at how he could weld with batteries and over looked the fact that he put the public in danger. Check those welds .The Life you save may be your own.

7 hours ago, runaway parents said:

This is very true  don't  think I could not sleep at night knowing I had jerry rigged up some critical welds that has the potential of killing someone on the highway. And continued to drive it down the road with out getting it fixed correctly. Don t  get me wrong I am not putting the guy down for being able to weld with a batteries witch was pretty impressive but the end result the weld had pinholes and a lack of penetration which has a potential of failing again.I was ok with this until he told me it has gone over 200 miles and still holding . this is where I had to jump of the band wagon a lot of people that responded to that post was in aw at how he could weld with batteries and over looked the fact that he put the public in danger. Check those welds .The Life you save may be your own.

The pin holes had nothing to do with the batteries.  The pin holes were more likely due to lack of proper prep.

You can weld quite successfully with battery power with the right size electrodes. Talk about pure DC power.

I have a spool gun that was actually designed to work with 2 batteries. Makes for an easy portable welder.

Also keep in mind that 200 miles may or may not get you to a competant repair facility.

1 hour ago, Moresmoke said:

The pin holes had nothing to do with the batteries.  The pin holes were more likely due to lack of proper prep.

You can weld quite successfully with battery power with the right size electrodes. Talk about pure DC power.

I have a spool gun that was actually designed to work with 2 batteries. Makes for an easy portable welder.

Also keep in mind that 200 miles may or may not get you to a competant repair facility.

Pinholes are also caused buy using wet welding rod .

This guy was in Missouri you cannot leave one town with out running into another one also there is rental company's where you can rent welders. I have been a certified welder for 30 years I know what causes bad welds!

Guess the point I was trying to get across was  .We don't want to be jerry rigging up these rigs. All we need is some one to get into a wreck and seriously hurt some one .The government get involved and they slap a bunch of restrictions on us. Such as a mandatory  version of a cdl license and being required to stop at scales for inspections. What a way to kill a fun hobby.Be safe out there. If it is  broke fix it right.

Archived