RAM 3500 class in TX?

RV Hooligans

Bought our Ram 3500 diesel dually heavy duty (BAT= BigAssTruck) new in 2012. Purchased in Elmhurst, Il.  & during purchase there was some discussion between employees/phone calls to determine "class".  This vehicle was a one of a kind & we were told we had "great timing as they never have equivalent vehicles on the lot'.    It was registered as "F" on the plates.  Fast forward just over 2 years from purchase & hubby was stopped by LEO in Downers Grove for failure to display our inspection sticker.  What inspection sticker?  Turns out "F" plates require inspection every 6 months: lights; safety; flares; etc.  We have been camped near IDENTICAL trucks purchased elsewhere in the state with NO F status.

Hoping our inspection next month will be the LAST!!!  And we'll be gone & registered in Livingston by end of May.  I know I could call to Livingston for clarification but does anyone have knowledge on this?  Is there any sort of equivalent class class since we'll be coming in with IL title as an F?  

Linda, Larry, & the Hooligan Shelties

Hope to be FT in 2012 in 5th Wheel

LOL...We sure took the slow track!  Been enjoying retirement as volunteers with Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park & Kline Creek Farm living history farm in West Chicago.   But now its time to get this show on the road.   ETD: 1st quarter 2019!

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

The best I can figure out is that the class of vehicle in Illinois is based on registered weight. There is no special "class" for personal vehicles, in Texas, such as you have in Illinois. The registration amount ($$) will be based on the registered weight. Depending on the GVWR of your truck and trailer you MAY need a Class A drivers license though. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

In Illinois anything(trucks and trailers) registered over 10,001# plates (D,E,F,G)requires an inspection every 6 months and has to have safety equipment!!

1992 Peterbilt 379 cummins N14(under construction)

2003 dodge ram 3500 4wd crewcab dually cummins 5.9

2012 heartland 40' big country 5th wheel

Home base Moody, Texas

7 hours ago, wrenchhead30 said:

In Illinois anything(trucks and trailers) registered over 10,001# plates (D,E,F,G)requires an inspection every 6 months and has to have safety equipment!!

One of my memories of growing up in Illinois is the roadside signs that said, "Cars towing trailers restricted to truck speeds." Our little pop-up trailer was a truck? Plus, I always thought having different speeds for different types of vehicle just made for traffic jams. "Look, ma, we're leading a parade!"

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have no issue with reduced speed limits for trailers. The speed limits are way to high in many states. I wouldn't want my 42 foot fiver to be rolling down the road at 75 MPH! At that speed just a few seconds of inattention could be a disaster!

7 hours ago, whj469 said:

I have no issue with reduced speed limits for trailers. The speed limits are way to high in many states. I wouldn't want my 42 foot fiver to be rolling down the road at 75 MPH! At that speed just a few seconds of inattention could be a disaster!

I have no problems with lower speed limits. I have a problem with the discrepancy in limits for various types of vehicles. I think it encourages the one with faster limits to take chances passing the ones with lower limits.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

16 minutes ago, whj469 said:

I agree but highways like the New Jersey Turnpike were the trucks are limited to the right two lanes seem to work well.

Yes, we liked that feature as well. But many highways in Illinois are only 2-lane to start with. Driving our motorhome to visit my Dad was not fun.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

Archived