Rigs 10 years of age or older and campsites

Rigs 10 years of age or older and getting a campsite  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Question: I have a rig over 10 years old and have been either turned away or refused a reservation at a campground because of the age of my rig.

• No, my rig is over 10 years old and I have never been refused a reservation/campsite.
    • Yes, my rig is over 10 years old and I was refused a reservation/campsite.
    • My rig isn't 10 years old.

6 hours ago, MidMOTraveler said:

So this is our first season traveling. Covered 4 months 7 states and 14 parks all private parks. We were asked model and year in 7 of those parks including Rainbow Plantation Summerdale Al. Only 2 ask for license plate # when reserving RP and one at Gulf Shores. 

I am really surprised that an Escapee park is asking about model and year!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Only once was I asked if my rig was new(a way of asking age), I replied "it once was". The CG desk clerk dropped the issue. Appearance is paramount to receiving this question. Now if you are making phone reservations, it's your choice- tell the truth or fib.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Judging from the responses here as well as those from a Facebook poll It looks like it is pretty rare - of all the responses representing, no doubt 100's of campgrounds, only a very few have ever been turned away, and then maybe just once, because of their camper being too old.  

I originally asked because it comes up all the time on Facebook.  After doing the poll there I started wondering what the experience was for the the "professional full timers" here.  Looks like the results are similar.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

In many cases, you would not even know a park has the "10-year rule" unless you register for more than a week as most that I know of who have it only apply it to their long-term sites. The funny thing is that an RV can look pretty ratty in less than 10 years if neglected and abused while some of the old classic RVs like GM ones are showpieces after more than 30 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived