Rigs 10 years of age or older and campsites

Rigs 10 years of age or older and getting a campsite  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Question: I have a rig over 10 years old and have been either turned away or refused a reservation at a campground because of the age of my rig.

• No, my rig is over 10 years old and I have never been refused a reservation/campsite.
    • Yes, my rig is over 10 years old and I was refused a reservation/campsite.
    • My rig isn't 10 years old.

Just for fun - one recurring concern is that people with rigs 10 years or older are told they may be refused service at campgrounds. My guess is that this is more of a sales pitch to get people to buy new rigs than it is a real concern. However, I admit that it may be an issue for people wanting long term spots. So this poll is only for those with rigs 10 years or older.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

My guess is that this is more of a sales pitch to get people to buy new rigs than it is a real concern. 

I don't think it has anything to do with selling new rigs.  I think it has to do with RVers driving junkie looking rigs and park owners don't want junk in their park.  I bet if you have a nice looking 15 yr old rig, you'd be welcome.

I cannot remember being asked about the age of my rig.  It is now 14 years old but looks new.  It looks especially great after the maintenance I did a couple of years ago.  I had to prep and paint a couple of rusty parts.  Unfortunately that seems to need repeating every few years.  The big issue was the fiberglass siding.  I did a thorough washing, scrubbed lightly with a no scratch pad and TSP.  Then I applied several coats of ZEP.  Two years later the RV still glows like it was freshly waxed.  Well, everywhere except the nose of the RV.  A month or so ago, I drove by Klamath Lake and got tens of thousands of bug splatters within minutes. 

1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

However, I admit that it may be an issue for people wanting long term spots. 

I have only run across it in parks that cater to long-term stays, or snowbird parks and most of those still have an overnight section that does allow older rigs. On two occasions we have been asked the year and make of our rig since it was past 10 and in both, they wanted to inspect it before allowing us to enter. One then let us stay and the one that did not have any gas chassis or class C RVs anywhere to be seen. I suspect that park might have found a reason to not allow us in even if the RV had been new. That was some time ago as we replaced the RV since them and are less than 10 again.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

IMO, the primary reason some parks have this rule listed, is to as mentioned, keep derelict units out of their parks. I also have not doubt, that some parks have this rule because the feel it sets them apart from others parks. I find the few parks that seem to do the later, are parks that we really have no interest in staying in:)! 

And it's amazing, when doing online reservations that actually ask you to provide you model year - that it's very easy to accidental type the wrong year. And thus my 04 coach, become an 09:)! Have never even been questioned when checking in. 

I do believe, also as mentioned, that well cared for RV's are welcomed by most parks, regardless of age. 

Does not bother me at all, to head elsewhere for parks that have a firm 'No Exception's' ten year rule... 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

4 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I don't think it has anything to do with selling new rigs.  I think it has to do with RVers driving junkie looking rigs and park owners don't want junk in their park.  I bet if you have a nice looking 15 yr old rig, you'd be welcome.

What I said was about people being worried into buying a new rig - not about why or not a campground will accept older rigs.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I've only been asked what year our motorhome was once back when we had a 1986 Toyota based Class C. And that time it was only because the check-in clerk said his sister had one just like it and he wondered if they were the same age.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

More and more we are seeing the 10-year rule as modified to say that if older than 10 years you must send a photo of the rig to show it is well maintained.   I know the park where we spend the winter does that - as well as several other places up and down the coast.  A few just look out the window, but some ask that I send a picture ahead of time.    Again, it is all about making sure that when your rental time for that space is done that you can move on down the road.   Plus, a rig held together by duct tape and blue tarps doesn't convey the ambience that most parks want their patrons to envision during their stay.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Scott, I checked the first line. But we never make reservations. So the numbers could be flawed. If we did make reservations and they asked if the fiver is over ten years, which ours is, they would never know because the conversation at that point is terminated by us. I have no need to be in their park/cg whether it is new or over ten years.  If stopping in and they ask, the end result is the same as above. Commonly referred to a drive-thru or a drive-out. We have never been asked anyway. I rarely have contact with a salesperson, but if I did, and he brought up this subject, he can start pounding sand immediately!

We used to also see snowbird parks that excluded home built RVs. I don't really think that I'd want an old school bus with the windows painted over next to me if I were staying in one of the nice & expensive snowbird parks.

2 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Scott, I checked the first line. But we never make reservations. So the numbers could be flawed. If we did make reservations and they asked if the fiver is over ten years, which ours is, they would never know because the conversation at that point is terminated by us. I have no need to be in their park/cg whether it is new or over ten years.  If stopping in and they ask, the end result is the same as above. Commonly referred to a drive-thru or a drive-out. We have never been asked anyway. I rarely have contact with a salesperson, but if I did, and he brought up this subject, he can start pounding sand immediately!

There is a real problem out west in terms of people living in RVs held together with bailing wire/duck tape/blue tarps.   Now anyone can have a problem and must apply a temporary fix, but there are a lot of places where once moved in, the RV dies and they can not be evicted without a rather involved process.   So I can understand why a park might ask and I don't have a problem with that.     Now we have driven through a park because of what we saw as we turned in, dilapidated, blue tarp covered, bailing wired together rigs, the place just didn't look like somewhere I wanted to be.    We have all ages/styles of RVs in our winter park,  some fancy, some very generic.  But all are neat and tidy.   And the neat and tidy also extends to the park model maintenance.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I think the state and national parks pretty much minimize the "squatters" problem by restricting stays to a 14 day max with a few exceptions. I did see one motorhome hauled out of a state park by a tow truck with a deputy sheriff and a couple of park police officers in attendance, but I don't know what the circumstances were. The rig was old, but not in bad shape.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We have all ages/styles of RVs in our winter park,  some fancy, some very generic.

Does your park allow converted school buses or other obviously homemade or poorly made campers? And does the park have any area for short-term visitors as well as the monthly customer?

I find threads like these to be interesting as most oppose the so-called"10-year rule" but when a thread begins about the old RV park, mostly filled with rundown, seedy looking, old RVs that have not moved in years, the majority also express distaste for those. Most of the parks who have these rules are attempting to avoid any trend in their park of becoming like the parks most of us would never stop in and to keep their park looking fresh and attractive to the clientele that they mostly serve.  You don't see the problems in parks that do not have any monthly rates and/or length of stay limits, whether they are public parks or private businesses and so they have no need for any rule of this type. 

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Does your park allow converted school buses or other obviously homemade or poorly made campers? And does the park have any area for short-term visitors as well as the monthly customer?

I find threads like these to be interesting as most oppose the so-called"10-year rule" but when a thread begins about the old RV park, mostly filled with rundown, seedy looking, old RVs that have not moved in years, the majority also express distaste for those. Most of the parks who have these rules are attempting to avoid any trend in their park of becoming like the parks most of us would never stop in and to keep their park looking fresh and attractive to the clientele that they mostly serve.  You don't see the problems in parks that do not have any monthly rates and/or length of stay limits, whether they are public parks or private businesses and so they have no need for any rule of this type. 

Must be over 22 ft in length and are motorhome, 5th wheels, travel trailers and park models, which precludes units not manufactured as RVs.       Short term are mixed in amount longer stays.  People come in under Passport America for overnights or week.  The PPA applies only April through December. Jan-March it is always full.  There are a variety of plans for longer stays, but  All require FULL payment for length of stay at beginning of stay, including annual stays.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Jeffrey,

Those are the park rules, which models the customers they are after.  Remember, this is a snowbird park.  About 1/2 the park are park models, the other half larger rigs for people spending the winter rather than shoveling snow.  Come summer, we often find ourselves next to a pop up with kids all over the place. But you expect that in the summer months when moving about every 2 weeks or so.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

All parks are a business. To stay in business they must sell out their spaces. They don’t want to turn business away. But if the Park fills up with delapatated rigs it will drive business away. If your rig is in good condition you will be let in. Parks that are steadfast about the 10 year rule are only interested in attracting a certain type of clientele. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

6 hours ago, jeffreycentex said:

That leaves out any RV that I'm looking into getting...

Those decisions are based on the clientele of the park and what the management believes will keep them returning and bringing others to replace those not returning. If they are wrong the business declines and the rules will probably change but as long as the park fills each season it tends to confirm the validity of the existing rules. Most of these parks do have some short-term visitor sites and different rules for them. There are very few who spend months on the road in RVs shorter than 22' in length, although we happen to be among them. 

So this is our first season traveling. Covered 4 months 7 states and 14 parks all private parks. We were asked model and year in 7 of those parks including Rainbow Plantation Summerdale Al. Only 2 ask for license plate # when reserving RP and one at Gulf Shores. 

The biggest disappointment we experienced was paying for an advertised “resort” park and having over half the park full time residents. They had “summer “ homes with decks, gazebo’s, yard decoration etc, completely unexpected. 

Oh well , that’s what makes everyday fun and exciting!

Needless to say we’re having a ball and can’t wait to get back out in April 

Hope to see ya on the road! Safe travels. 

I agree MidNOTraveler, probably more than half of the private CGs we stay at have full time residents if they are open all year long.  Sounds like you are enjoying the traveling though.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We are wintering at the same snowbird RV ;park as Barb.  It is set up for long term stays across the winter and that is why it has the rules. There are many other campgrounds in the Phoenix area like it and many that are more for short term stays for any size RV.  There are many choices that are more like the campgrounds people think of for being closer to nature and not caring what size or type of RV you have.  If I was coming for a short stay I would stay at Usery Mountain Regional Park, which has no restrictions on size and type of RV.   It is electric only and just outside the city.   Another choice would be Lost Dutchman State Park, but be prepared to not have good cell phone reception there.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived