snake oil?

GlennWest

I had some rather old fuel in my truck. Hadn't seen any sign of alge but it was bearing on my mind. Picked up some Power Service deisel fuel additive. Drove truck to Houston yesterday. Had a lot to do there and needed truck inspected. Darn thing ran best it ever had. Had great power. Smooth as silk. Good snake oil?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glen,

I put the Power Services Biocide in my truck with every fill up if my truck is going to sit for a few weeks.  Don’t know if it makes it run better but sure doesn’t allow algae and bacterial growth.  What most folks don’t realize is the black slime is a mixture of both algae and bacteria not just algae.  Only downside is I’m wondering if it is corrosive to steel as both my fuel cap chains rusted through and fell into tank.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I've been running the Power Service Winter (White Bottle)for the last month here in North Dakota because the refineries haven't switched to the winter diesel blend.  Can't tell if it runs better or not, but my fuel isn't gelling like it did back in April....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

two things and they are different but the same

preventative-which everybody has in stock and remediation that is getting rid of it after established- much much more difficult to find.At least I did ,read the label carefully  prevent or remove.Found in all the catalogs but never on the shelf.

Finally went to my old stand by -the marine supply stores - still rare but I found a remover.Star tron  the on line reviews were positive  eg we had 3 ' of alge in our tanks (alaskan commercial fishing co) and this product cured it. 

I developed the issue after a load I picked up in Florida ,filter changes started to come 500 kms apart instead of yearly, in fact 2 on the way to the ECR.Dosed with Star tron when we got back ,changed my last filter in the spring and will change another this spring even though the glass is only 1/2 full.

I keep some on hand now as marine stores run out about now.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Ralf,

Power Services has this product.  Wonder if it is as good?

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Ya thats the kind of stuff , thou it doent say algae  ,-slime - whats that?  either way easy to find on line but as least up here not on the shelf.

I used howes, power service and  a few others what ever the truck place had on sale - still got algae .Truckers have no idea as to how bad it gets compared to a yacht with thousands of gallons from anywhere in the world in constant 100% humidity

those guys know

woot woot

5 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

Ya thats the kind of stuff , thou it doent say algae  ,-slime - whats that?  either way easy to find on line but as least up here not on the shelf.

I used howes, power service and  a few others what ever the truck place had on sale - still got algae .Truckers have no idea as to how bad it gets compared to a yacht with thousands of gallons from anywhere in the world in constant 100% humidity

those guys know

This is my favorite http://reversopumps.com/fuel-polishing-systems/fuel-polishing-marine/fuel-polishing-system-210-gph-marine

Worth the money......

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 minute ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

that is what they have to go through  ,we use our trucks more like yachts then over the road trucks, so asking at a truck stop may not get the best answer. 

woot woot

45 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Jim,

Why don’t you buy one and then we’ll just “borrow” it. 😜

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Ralf,

Power Services has this product.  Wonder if it is as good?

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/

That's what I used

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Me too Glenn , I still got algae. I think I got it already active from storage ,it was then pumped into my truck tanks.

In that case none of the preventives will help ,because its already there, now you have to get rid of  an active  colony.

Remember I had power service in the tank already ,and plugged a filter every few hundred miles.

woot woot

I'm more or a Howes man. I wouldn't worry about fuel being a few months old. We have farm equipment that only gets used a couple months out of the year and its fine.

If you have an existing algae problem that is different. You need a algae killer and couple cases of filters.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

More often than not, algae is due to fuel tanks being repeatedly left underfilled over periods of time.  Proper fuel management requires keeping the tank(s) full...always.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I used power service bio kleen during warm weather and diesel kleen with 911 when I got bad fuel. The 911 removes water very quickly. If you get in the habit of using power service buy it by the case with the larger bottles from petromunun dealers, otherwise you'll pay too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived