doing the Q in 2019

packnrat

Quartzsite is IMO a bucket list item for very RV'er .It is a interesting experience. We have been there twice as we just happened to be in the general area. We would not make a special trip just to be there.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, richfaa said:

Quartzsite is IMO a bucket list item for very RV'er .It is a interesting experience. We have been there twice as we just happened to be in the general area. We would not make a special trip just to be there.

We made several special trips to be there but it was because that was the best place to meet up with friends. We are not shoppers so we never did go to the big tent.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Our S&B is 2,162 miles from Quartzsite so we would not hook up just for a trip to Quartzsite  .We were in the general area on our two winter stays in the SW so spent a few  days there .We are not boon dockers not that Quartzsite is  pure boondocking. The big tent and the various vendors were a disappointment as we had a short list of things to buy because of the reports that prices were very good. That did not turn out  be true as the prices were in general much higher. If we were in the area again  during the time frame we would probably spend some time there again.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

The big tent and the various vendors were a disappointment as we had a short list of things to buy because of the reports that prices were very good. That did not turn out  be true as the prices were in general much higher. If we were in the area again  during the time frame we would probably spend some time there again.

You could find bargains in Quartzsite 10-15 years ago when the vendors first noticed the large number of RVers flocking to the area to take advantage of the nice winter eather and free or low cost camping on the extensive BLM lands surrounding the town. The La Posa LTVAs alone offer 25 square miles of open space camping, or half as much area as the entire city of San Francisco. 

Then the town started seeing the winter tourists as a gold mine and hiked their sales tax rate and the fees they charge the seasonal venders.  It's hard to find bargain prices when the first thing you face is a 10.1% sales tax.   AZ has a baseline sales tax of 5.6% and local governments can add to that.

In essence the town has to make it's annual operating budget in the space of a very short tourist season.

Edited by Lou Schneider

1 hour ago, Lou Schneider said:

You could find bargains in Quartzsite 10-15 years ago when the vendors first noticed the large number of RVers flocking to the area to take advantage of the nice winter eather and free or low cost camping on the extensive BLM lands surrounding the town. The La Posa LTVAs alone offer 25 square miles of open space camping, or half as much area as the entire city of San Francisco. 

Then the town started seeing the winter tourists as a gold mine and hiked their sales tax rate and the fees they charge the seasonal venders.  It's hard to find bargain prices when the first thing you face is a 10.1% sales tax.   AZ has a baseline sales tax of 5.6% and local governments can add to that.

In essence the town has to make it's annual operating budget in the space of a very short tourist season.

It must have been 15 years back, because 13 years ago when we did Q there were no bargains to be had during the RV show.  Maybe the end of March when vendors were leaving, but not in January.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We never went there with the intention to shop.  Our reason was to join in the fun with our large group of like-minded folks.  We've gone there many years and eventually walked the vendor areas only once. The rest of the time we did things with our group.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Our first stay at the Q  was in 2007 there were no real bargains then. We attend  rallies of like minded folks  during every year but 2, 162 miles is a stretch to just attend a rally.

Our first visit to the "Big Tent' was in 2004. At that time there were tire manufactures, hauler bed manufactures, hitch manufactures, satelite TV outfits, etc. anything RV related. I still run up a day from Yuma to do the "Tent", pizza at Silly Al's and a couple of brewski's at the VFW.  But in the tent now, there is one satelite outfit with numerous spots in the tent, the same goes for LED bulbs. Copper bracelets, Chinese messages, "As Seen on TV" cookware, you know the routine, "it slices, it dices, it purees". Oh, and I forgot, polishing vendors, still wiping on the same hood, fender etc. as they did last year. Vendors used to be lined up on the main drag, now there is parking where they used to be.

Edited by bobsallyh
I also go up the day of the Escapees Happy Hour out on Plamosa RD.

seeing as i will not be camped “in town” , so parking to me is nothing.

sure might go see the circus.

but as to buying anything. if possible will be buying from another on this forum. ( why asking about cell service).

to go to the tent would be more to see whats up, then go home a build it myself. better maybe, even lower cost?.