packnrat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/23/2018 at 10:33 AM, noteven said:

Is there a gathering for Members running junk scuse me vintage rigs?

There is a gathering for anyone who wants to start one. Decide what your group is, go to Q and park in a fairly open space, post your GPS coordinates here and invite anyone who wants to come join you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, rls7201 said:

Does my ol 95 Bounder qualify for vintageĀ junk?

It probably depends on who gets to define the terms or set the rules. We know a couple who travel in a 1977 Newell but other than body style it looks better than some new rigs. Several years ago we were in a campground where a group of restored GMC motorhomes came in and they all looked like new, yet they were only made from 1973-78. I guess it is a fine line between vintage and classic? If it were me defining, junk would be determined by appearance and condition, rather than age. Sure glad that nobody said antique as I read that the term means anything more than 50 years old and that has included me for a long time!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

now i am confused????????

where is camp?

just out of town or miles away?

Ā 

do to days off could not get this week off, but will be there by wed (thursday am latest)Ā  next week. thought just south east of town by a couple miles, but now? it is north east about 15 miles out?

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

where is camp?

Ā 

do to days off could not get this week off, but will be there by wed (thursday am latest)Ā  next week. thought just south east of town by a couple miles, but now? it is north east about 15 miles out?

There is no BLM area around Q that is 15 miles out, either free or LTVA.

Here's a map that shows the location of the free BLM areas around Q:

https://www.rv-camping.org/quartzsiteaz/

The Plomosa Road area is maybe about 5 miles north of the intersection of Main & Central (AZ-95).Ā  Mile Marker 99 is about 5 miles south, maybe a little farther.Ā 

The four LTVA areas are located between Mile Marker 99 and and I-10 on both sides of US-95.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Ā 

8 hours ago, packnrat said:

where is camp?

Ā 

Here are directions to the Boomer's NEW parking site. . . sorry I gave you incorrect ones previously. I didn't know they were moving this year as they've been at the other place for many years.

http://link.rm0005.net/client_files/Boomersbof/NGtB_111518.pdf

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ok, so no problems.

my mom says she wants to go so bring her along. does not get around very good. but says she will try. been showing her lots of videos online of the area. so she kinda knows what she is getting into. (not much of a outdoor kind of lady).

out of here on tuesday (8:am, i get off work about midnight to 2:am) sleep over on the rd, to show up wed in the am. trying to do a easy drive for her.

Ā 

but now to drop the dollars and get fresh food. and such. yes have onboard water + a bladder in the back of my pu.

whats the weather to be like next week into the one after?as i can do wed (jan 23) for a week after that. then back to the grind, on saturday the second. (my monday).

23 hours ago, packnrat said:

well as of this am. Ā gear oil under the truck.

blown pinion bearing seal. can not get parts till thursday or friday.

so trip is off. get to stay home and clean up storm damage, pick up leaves, get a couple little projects done, etc.

Ā 

That indicates the vent may be plugged, which can cause pressure in the housing. I try to remember to spin the cap on the vent every time I grease the chassis.

Ā 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.Ā  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ā 

packnrat, while you are underneath, check the front diff bearing for wear, any side movement indicates it, and seal, should be replaced

Edited by Ray,IN

Ā 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.Ā  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ā 

• 10 months later...
43 minutes ago, Deb Larson said:

Hi,Ā  My husband and I are heading to Quartzsite and are first timers to the area.Ā  It would be nice to be among other RV's that are familiar with boon docking and the area.Ā  Ā We will be arriving in about two weeks to the area.Ā  Will members of your group be in the area then?

Welcome to this forum!!Ā  Here's a good overview article on Quartzsite.Ā  Also look at the Quartzsite Chamber of Commerce web site for lots of good information and maps.

There will certainly be RVers at Quartzsite in 2 weeks but the 'big' occurrence happens the last two weeks of January when the 'RV Show' is featured.Ā  In the meantime if you're going in December RVers are typically very helpful so just stop at a RV if you see someone sitting outside and ask any questions you may have.Ā  How long will you be there?Ā  There are free 14-day areas and there are long-term areas.

https://wheelingit.us/2016/03/13/boondocking-site-review-plomosa-road-quartzsite-az/

Full-timed for 16 Years

1 hour ago, Deb Larson said:

We will be arriving in about two weeks to the area.Ā 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! While there will be RVs there when you arrive, the big events do not take place until January and you can learn more about those via the Quartzsite Show official website. In addition I suggest the Quartzsite Chamber of Commerce and BLM-La Posa LTVA website.There are also numerous videos on YoutubeĀ that should be useful so take a look through those.Ā 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ā 

17 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Welcome to this forum!!Ā  Here's a good overview article on Quartzsite.Ā  Also look at the Quartzsite Chamber of Commerce web site for lots of good information and maps.

There will certainly be RVers at Quartzsite in 2 weeks but the 'big' occurrence happens the last two weeks of January when the 'RV Show' is featured.Ā  In the meantime if you're going in December RVers are typically very helpful so just stop at a RV if you see someone sitting outside and ask any questions you may have.Ā  How long will you be there?Ā  There are free 14-day areas and there are long-term areas.

https://wheelingit.us/2016/03/13/boondocking-site-review-plomosa-road-quartzsite-az/

We are planning on staying through February.

Thanks for the info. :)

Ā 

16 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums! While there will be RVs there when you arrive, the big events do not take place until January and you can learn more about those via the Quartzsite Show official website. In addition I suggest the Quartzsite Chamber of Commerce and BLM-La Posa LTVA website.There are also numerous videos on YoutubeĀ that should be useful so take a look through those.Ā 

Thanks for the info. I have been doing quite a bit of research of the area, that's how I found you folks.Ā  Was just hoping to park where your group hangs out.

40 minutes ago, Deb Larson said:

We are planning on staying through February.

Thanks for the info. :)

Ā 

Since you'll be there mid-January I suggest you move from where you'll be staying and stay with the Escapee Boomers for 1 day to 2 weeks..... or even go to their spot for Happy Hours and check the group out.Ā  Any age can join the Boomers and to join is FREE so you might want to do that now so you'll be put on their email newsletter list for more information.Ā  It's a fun, active group and they have meet-ups throughout the year.Ā  Here is last year's newsletter about their moving from Scadden Wash to a new spot.Ā  I assume they'll be at the new spot once again in Jan. 2020.

Escapee Boomers Birds of A Feather Group - Quartzsite

Full-timed for 16 Years

Quartsite and the surrounding area has good coverage from all the major carriers, but they all get overwhelmed during the peak visitor weeks when the population swells by a factor of 100 or more.

Voice and text are usually OK but data may slow to a crawl or be unavailable during the day when everyone's trying to use it.Ā  Evenings and overnight it should be usable.

Edited by Lou Schneider

19 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Quartsite and the surrounding area has good coverage from all the major carriers, but they all get overwhelmed during the peak visitor weeks when the population swells by a factor of 100 or more.

The towers are already overwhelmed it seems.Ā  We spent an overnight in Q on our way to Yuma a little over a week ago and data was slower than molasses on a cold morning.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Ā