doing the Q in 2019

packnrat

i am planing to do quartsite this jan, any advice as to where to camp? day to arrive before so to get a "better" site. looking to do the "big show". as now i still have to work at a job, so need to plan vac days.

I will be boon-docking. i carry extra water (on-board and extra 30 gallon bladder, plus jugs) and have power. (gen and small solar). all in/on  a short 5 er.

any theft problems? i do lock everything up as best as i can.

just never been there. so all new to me. hoping to get a friend or two to tag along. if not then just the three of us. me, my self, and I.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'd have an awesome time if you parked at Boomerville - the Escapees Birds of a Feather group, the Boomers.  I don't know if you are an Escapee member or not but you don't have to be.  Visitors are warmly greeted and included. They will be parked together January 14-27 and people come and go and stay as long as they can.  There are usually around 150 RVs coming and going throughout the time. They have many activities going on - mini-trips around the area, hiking, geocaching, 4-wheeling, mini-seminars around the campfire on various topics, happy hours daily, pancake breakfasts, pot lucks and just plain fun.  You have ample opportunity to take the short drive into 'town' a few miles away.  It's a very welcoming group of all ages, not just Boomer age.  Pets welcome and even a pet walk in the morning.  It's dry camping so come prepared.  There's usually an area for solar and one for generators.  Here's the parking information taken from the newsletter.

Turn-by-turn directions to Boomerville: On I-10 take exit 19 and go south to the T intersection with

Kuehn Rd. Turn left (E) onto what becomes a frontage road beside I-10. There will be an Escapees

Boomers sign and arrow at this intersection (no guarantee). Continue East on the paved frontage

road (go pass the Scadden Wash BLM area) until the pavement dead-ends and turn right (S) on an

unpaved road. Again, there will be an Escapees Boomers sign and arrow at this turn. Continue on the

unpaved road to the edge of the 14 day BLM area -- main road turns sharply to the left BUT you will

turn right (W) at the Boomer Escapees sign and arrow. You will be able to see the gathering from this

turn. Find your own spot. There will be a central “tent” area where you can sign-in and one of the

hosts will be around to give you a hug and give you the low-down on what to expect.

The Google Maps coordinates for the approximate center of Boomerville: 33.650011,-114.1486603

There are usually two hosts parked near the easy-up tents. Sign in with them (we just like to get a

head count for fun and love to greet you.). Then you park wherever you want. You can participate as

much or as little as you want. The more you "hang out", the more involved you become. Volunteering

is also a great way to get to know folks...help with pancakes, the auction, etc.

There is a white board for scheduling activities. It is member driven. If you

want to take a walk every day at 8:00 and you’d like company, put it on the

board and people will join you. If you are curious about solar, suggest a

solar discussion group, put the time and place, and people will join you and

tell you more than you want to know!

It all just happens!

Daily Boomer happy hours are at 4pm with a meeting about what happened that day and what the

plans are for the next day. People will bring light snacks and their own drinks and chairs.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

not sure sbout walking much. ( broken body) but if i tow my little tag along trailer i do have a moto ( kaw klr650)  to ride around .

but yes i havd a gen so thats where i park. this rv will not get solar mounted, but next one will. so just a portable thing for now.

latter today i will know my work hrs/days for the next four months.

but looking like i might be able to do the 16th to the 23ed. ( i work thur am - monday at 4:30am).

good-bad-? still have 8 years till i do not have to work anylonger.

but till then i will try to do and see what and as i can.

for now a small 24 ft 5er. want to buy a bigger and better for retirement. if nothing else my unit can fit in everywhere. and with my class A with doubles i can tow a small tag along trailer 😊.

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

for now a small 24 ft 5er. want to buy a bigger and better for retirement. if nothing else my unit can fit in everywhere. and with my class A with doubles i can tow a small tag along trailer 😊.

Double tows are only allowed in some states. Be sure you check your route before departure.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

pulling tripples is only allowed in some states. pulling doubles is legal in all fifety states when the driver has a proper commercial dl with the corect endorsments.

i am a commercial class A  driver.with proper endosments.

all pu trucks in ca are regestered as commercial trucks.

first trailer must be a semi trailer, aka: fifth-wheel.  not a bumper pull.

can not be over 75 feet long.

can not excide the tow rating of the truck pulling said trailers.

with this said ca is more restrive than most other states in the west. known, nevada legal, oregon legal, washington legal, idaho legal, colorado legal, 

true i have not driven in arazona or new mexico or texas, oklahoma, montana or the dakotas. but those states are known to be more open to varied trailers (aka: less laws) than ca is.

i have lived under fed dot laws and regs most of my life (35 years class A). i can not site them from memory. but do understand there workings. no i would not try to drive down broadway in new york city. in anything let alone pulling a "set". in the decades i have done this ( little trailer up to a car haluer with a cj7 on it). with my rv i have never been pulled over. for any reason. back country roads to major freeways, back wash "burgs" to major traffic laden city's.

as a rule and just for cause if i can do without the little tag trailer ( it is the larger trailer sold at lowes hardware stores). i would rather do so.

RV multiple trailer configurations are not permitted in BC, WA, OR. 

CA permits double towing noteven a 5th wheel front trailer.  3 jeeps flat towed behind your RV is ok. Brakes on all axles (whaat?)

Oh the humanity!

Actually all 3 of the Jeeps I saw were sweet rigs...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

sad for me even if i am riding a moto down the rd i am subject to full dot regs. aka: double the ticket price, double the points.( and i get only half as many points as reg folk, before i lose my permit to drive) and i must report said ticket to my employer asap.

so there is a perk. but under many other rules that govern my off duty life.

Our daughter is an OTR driver. When she visited me at Dome Rock near Q she dropped the trailer at Pilot and "camped" in her truck. I guess that makes her a full-timer? Pretty visible camper. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

yes can say that.

i have been trying to use google to find the camp spot. but the gps numbers given do not line up with what i belive is the site.using written direction i find.

my computer program says 

N 33'38'57.12"

W114'08'42.72

mitchell mine rd

sound right?

close by but a bit north of that point i see one camper. on another dirt rd.

packrat - if you're referring to the Boomer gathering, yes, it's around 46848 Mitchell Mine rd.  One RV?  The pic must have been taken mid-summer! :)  There will be many hundreds parked along the whole road in January.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

16 hours ago, packnrat said:

pulling tripples is only allowed in some states. pulling doubles is legal in all fifety states when the driver has a proper commercial dl with the corect endorsments.

i am a commercial class A  driver.with proper endosments.

all pu trucks in ca are regestered as commercial trucks.

first trailer must be a semi trailer, aka: fifth-wheel.  not a bumper pull.

can not be over 75 feet long.

can not excide the tow rating of the truck pulling said trailers.

CA - (the "excide") - minimum is 1T pickup.

"All pu trucks in ca are registered as commercial trucks." - 99% correct - however there are exceptions.

7 hours ago, packnrat said:

not wanting to get into a fight here. but i know what i know. and have towed many miles in the states i listed. never had any trouble. by state. or local, not even tribal police.

maybe in the thousands of miles i driven in these states i have not been seen by a ticket cop?

This is a bit off topic, but towing commercially generally has a different set of rules than towing recreationally.  Federal regulations set the rules for commercial interstate vehicles and most states adopt some version of the federal regulations into their local vehicle codes.  Oregon and Washington have chosen to not allow recreational doubles in their states.  California allows doubles and does not distinguish between recreational or commercial for said doubles.  California only distinguishes what type of license you have to determine whether you can tow doubles or not.  California requires California residents to have a commercial class A license with a doubles endorsement in order to tow two trailers at once (whether commercial or recreational).  The first trailer must be a 5th wheel, neither trailer can be over 28.5' in length and the overall length of the rig cannot be over 75'.  I say this to let you know that not all states will allow you to tow doubles with your RV set up (in other words, recreationally). 

I too have a Commercial Class A license with doubles and other endorsements.  I also tow a "toad" or a trailer behind my 5th wheel at times when I have the need, but because this is recreational it is not legal everywhere.  This is a state by state issue and you need to be up on the laws in each state in which you travel.  While I have not attempted to tow recreational doubles in Oregon or Washington, I have done the legal research and I know actual people who have been stopped at the Oregon border and turned around and sent home with recreational doubles even though they met all the legal requirements for doubles.  This is because they were towing recreationally (a 5th wheel RV with another small trailer behind it) and Oregon does not allow it recreationally.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2gypsies,   yes not a current shot. just said one camper for a reference, nothing more.

pappy yokum,   true just jump through the hoops and you can do "show truck" or a "camper".  special rules apply here.

chad heiser,   yes has gotten off topic. i am willing to coincide to others, as i only know what i know, from doing such.

and i only tow doubles when and as needed, but prefer not to pull a second trailer.... even at work.

on with the show.

2gypsies . not a member but if all goes as i plan should show up on the 16th, 17th am worst case.

homeward bound by the 24th.  (still have to work, my monday for the next 4 months is saturdays).

any company reps there? as i still have 8 years to keep working time to start gathering info and where to domicile in 2027. sounds like a long time from now, but will be here soon.

Getting off-topic_ but I must correct a misconception. Triple-towing is the tractor/power unit towing 3 trailers, double-towing is 2 trailers, one trailer is single towing. One cannot include the power unit as being towed, otherwise when one is simply driving a car it would be classified as towing. Several RVing websites perpetuate this myth.

ref: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Vehicle_Configuration_508CLN.pdf

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 months later...

Greetings, my wife & i are new escapees/Xscapees boomer gen recently retired. we are attending the NYE Xscp gathering in Q and i was looking for the next stop on the big adventure and just found there's a boomer gathering in Q :)

I see the date of 1/14/2019 as day one? Is it possible to set up on or around the 8th/9th without buggering up the plan? We can easily move camp as needed. 

Thanks in advance, 

Thom

PS, This just came to mind, since we are available to arrive before actuak kick off, and are both happy able bodied peeps... IF there is room for a couple volunteers to help with whatever, count my wife & i in.

1545579615269216.jpg

Edited by accrete

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, 2gypsies said:

You'd have an awesome time if you parked at Boomerville - the Escapees Birds of a Feather group, the Boomers. ... Turn-by-turn directions to Boomerville:

Just an FYI for anyone headed out to Boomerville:  They've changed locations and will no longer be at the area that 2gypsies gave the directions to.  They will now be off Plomosa Road near the area where the Escapees holds their open house.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

Just an FYI for anyone headed out to Boomerville:  They've changed locations and will no longer be at the area that 2gypsies gave the directions to.  They will now be off Plomosa Road near the area where the Escapees holds their open house.

Can you share a link to the directions or google coordinates?

THX

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

According to the Escapee Boomers' Facebook page, the GPS coordinates are:

N33.76549 W114.171494

Interesting, that is basically the exact spot that the Xscapers NYE event is at... google map screen shot. This is the area to the Northeast of the 95/10 interstction.

1545586130720974.jpg