water leak at front end cap and roof

My 2007 Travel Supreme 5th wheel has a water leak at the top right front corner. This is where the side radius and the roof are covered by the front end cap.

When it is dark outside and a bright light is placed inside of the trailer a person can see the light shinning through the joint. Have thought about using some type of foam, it should wick into the smallest crevice, and then a piece of roof tape on the inside where the aluminum roof radius and the front end cap join. After which I would caulk the outside seam with a non-leveling  caulk. That would provide three lines of sealing. Does anyone have any experience repairing a leak similar to this? Any suggestions on the type of foam?

X's 2 on adding EternaBond over the self leveling sealant. We did the caps and side rails on our old Bounder with 4" tape. Now 12-13 years later, the new owner still stops by to visit, and the tape is still holding/protecting well. 

Good luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

SC 48, send me your e-mail and I'll send you pics and describe what I had done 5 yrs ago.  My rear cap leaked similar to yours.  In the same relative position. 

Eternabond tape for sure but there is more to it.  My rig is a  2001 or 2, 40' Travel Supreme.  I went up on the roof this morning and took a look at the area you have in question.

Pics and a description should get you thru this.  You have a good unit.

By the way, as I recall Mark Bruss did an explanation on doing the same job on his then Travel Supreme.  The topic may be in the resource guide.

Roger

Do not skip the most important step, thoroughly clean the void before applying any sealant if you want it to actually seal against future water intrusion. This may help: Eternabond Video Library the RV section is the bottom half of the page.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That all must be cleaned away  before proceeding with re-sealing. The black stuff is mold growing on the dirt in there, nothing will stick to it. Covering it up is akin to putting a bandage over a dirty wound.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Sorry about the fuzziness. This is the radius that I mentioned in the first posting. The caulking has been removed from the joint and with a bright light placed inside you can see the light all around the radius from the outside. The radius is made of aluminum and the end-cap is made of fiberglass.

The "black stuff" mentioned is the edge of the unlit area under the cap.

Have been trying to secure some EternaBond tape and some Geocel ProFlex RV Flexible Sealant. It seems that some Geocel products are  available online thru Walmart.

Thanks for clearing that up. Our MH had the same issue at the same joints due to old age. RV shop used backer rod to fill the void, then Dicor non-sag lap sealant. In fact they redid the entire front cap to roof joint areas, solved the leaks.

Archived