Already a Texan

sheldons65

Have lived in Texas and been a resident for 25 years. 

I've paid for the mail service and domicile info but have not received it yet to fully review. When I go full-time I believe all I'll really need to do is change my address on everything once I'm set up to go full time. That would be after I complete the necessary Escapees paperwork and get an official Escapees address of course. 

It may not end up being very complicated. Any experiences to share?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

It may not end up being very complicated. Any experiences to share?

Like Barbaraok, we too lived in TX before going fulltime. I believe that she lived in Tyler and we were in Ft. Worth. It is as simple as moving all of your business mail to the new address change and sending in an address change to the vehicle registration, drivers license, insurance and then register to vote in Polk Co. We didn't even go to Livingston at all until we had been Escapees and Livingston residents for more than 2 years. Couldn't be much less difficult. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

Last year, found out how it goes--establish mailing address in Livingston; get DLs corrected as to address; register vehicles in Polk Co, and Voila! there you are.

Cannot register your vehicles in Polk Co w/o a Polk Co. address first...only glitch we ran into as we tried to 'move' to Polk Co before we had the Escapees address on our DLs.

• 2 months later...

We are already Texas residents and are trying to get our vehicles registered in Polk County without going there.    I went to our DMV in El Paso and they told me that it must be done in Livingston.  I found some forms online that seemed to allow it, I just had some questions about filling out the forms before I mailed them.  Can anyone who has registered their vehicles in Polk County without being there tell me exactly how you did it?

33 minutes ago, mickramer said:

Can anyone who has registered their vehicles in Polk County without being there tell me exactly how you did it?

It was nearly 20 years ago, but we did so just by putting in a change of address with the driver's license folks and another with the motor vehicle registration. But you must have an address in Polk county first. More recently when we got our current home-base we made that same change from Polk County to  Smith County again with just doing address changes and this time we did it all by downloaded form, then print and mail the forms. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ok.  I found the form & printed it - i had a question about the Title Document space on the form so I went to the DMV to ask where to get that number since we don't have the title for one of the vehicles.  That is where the DMV told me that you must be in the new county to register the vehicle - despite the form that I found online.  I think I found the title document number, but not certain it is the correct one!  Maybe I will just go ahead & mail the forms and see what happens!

Sheldon,

I was a Texas resident stationed at my retirement assignment on return from overseas in 1997. We were stationed at Lackland AFB TX, and just changed it all over to our Rainbow Drive address. No problems. I even bought a new fiver later from Indiana while in California when a shop broke our frame. We were at Travis FamCamp for medical diagnostics and were there for six months. That was in 2000. Polk County could not have been more accommodating. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I spoke with someone at the Polk County Tax office this morning.  All I needed to do is mail the forms directly to them along with a copy of our driver's license with the new address on it.  I was so pleased to be able to speak with a real person in their tax office & get such great person to person assistance!  Hopefully all is done & correctly & as soon as they get my doc's all will be taken care of without us having to go physically to Polk county!   Thanks to everyone here for all of the feedback!

Archived