Deer/Moose Guards

Chuck

I have started looking for deer/moose guards for my 2003 VNL. The on line sites I have reviewed seem to list guards for 2004 and up. I can’t imagine the placement of the front receivers changing. Does this have to do with a change in headlights?  Are the newer guards constructed where they may cross or interfere with the headlights on my older VNL?

The front mounts are higher on the Gen 2 trucks.  They are also wider apart.  Along with the headlights being different.  And the hood is wider.  That enough difference for you?

I found a used one from a Gen 1 truck to mount on my 2012 VNM. Figured I have the old style lights, it should fit just fine right?  Cutting welding and some stretching later it fits pretty good.

On second thought maybe the mounts are lower, would have to go look to be sure.  Anyways, I had to cut the pins off the bumper and weld them back on.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:56 PM, porky69 said:

Ali Arc makes some nice stuff. See lots on the road in western Canada. List for 1997 and newer.

Ali Arc for Volvo

I am very unhappy with Ali Arc. I ordered one for one of our farm trucks. It came wrapped in cardboard wrapped in plastic. Then they let it lay outside. It was tarnished. They would not do anything about it. I had to go get it polished at my expense. I bought it through Sioux City Kenworth. They also ordered a few for their trucks. Every one of them were tarnished. The dealership ended up eating  the cost of polishing it for me.

I got one of these on my Pete.   https://www.truckdefender.com/                                                                                            http://www.johnsweldingandtool.com/Johns/Aluminum_Bumpers.html 

Truck defender is the brand name Johns welding is the dealer I went through to buy it.

I really like it but ended up taking it off to lose some weight. This is American made.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I wonder if you can powder coat one black? I wanna black out all the chrome on mine except the wheels.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

I wonder if you can powder coat one black? I wanna black out all the chrome on mine except the wheels.

Powder coat is not a great idea for frames etc, the coating can hide cracks, on aluminum it can hide corrosion.    Anodized aluminum, black would look great, hard black would be very durable.     

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I'd be remiss if I didn't bring Bandit Bar to the table. They publish their crash test data for their guards. They also price in Canadian $$$, for extra discount for our southern neighbors.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, Big5er said:

I believe you can powder coat them. I have seen a few running around up here all blacked out.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Archived