The "right" RV for 3 with one of us an amputee

PattyLK

A little bit about us.  I’m Patty, from Chicago originally.  I’ve done a lot of car camping but never in an RV.  My husband, Esam,  is mechanically inclined.  He has never been to America and it's going to be amazing to see America again through his eyes!  

I’m right now in Egypt and will be on my way to New York in a few weeks to help my best friend, Sue, when she is released from the nursing home where she is recovering in after getting her leg amputated from a rare bone disease.  My husband will follow at the end of the year hopefully.    We’re all between 48-56.

My stuff is all in storage in Idaho and Sue’s stuff is in storage in Maryland.  It seems a perfect time to take off because we don’t have a house or an apartment. We hope to downsize both our storages and get rid of what we don’t need.  Our budget is about 40,000 to 50,000 with some room for fixes and our combined monthly resources will not be that high so we will want to boondock often and consider my husband and I working seasonally.

Sue and I make jewelry that we plan to make and sell on the road at festivals and other venues.  Sue is an artist making jewelry from paper.  She’s been busy making beads the whole time she has been in the hospital. She is doing phenomenal at walking again.  The physical therapist said she has begun walking faster than any other person he helped!  She has a great attitude and spirit and I think it’s going to be just fine for her to RV with us with a few modifications.

I am very partial to 5th wheels.  I thought we could buy a used 5th wheel and a used truck to pull it.  The problem is that we can’t use the truck to sightsee because Sue needs a wheelchair and a scooter and hand controls.  The wheelchair and scooter can’t get wet.  It would be hard for her to get in and out of the truck also.  What we want to do is get a 5th wheel that my husband tows while Sue and I follow behind in our 2015 Subaru Forester.

I’m afraid that many campgrounds don’t allow you to have a third unit.  For us, it really is a need and not a want to have a car that Sue can be comfortable in as a passenger or driver.  Are we forced to get a Class A or C?  Is it possible to talk to people at parks to let us park our truck somewhere while we are using the Subaru to get around?  But if it’s going to be a huge hassle we’ll have to consider an A or C.  I guess we could also consider a travel trailer and a van that could hold her scooter and wheel chair.  Any advice is welcome!

One extra issue with getting an RV to consider is that we want to have a table in the RV that we can have 2 office chairs at to make jewelry.  I was thinking this could be done by removing a bunk bed, moving a dining booth or a couch.  But we also need 2 beds for the 3 of us.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  We’d like to stay under 35 feet.

So I’m hoping for answers and suggestions!

Thank you so much!

Welcome to the Escapee forums! While what you propose is clearly possible, you are taking on a great deal for having no personal knowledge of RVs and RV living. I think that you need to move very slowly and carefully on this and spend some time researching. I would assume that you want an RV that has 2 bedrooms? Are you thinking to buy the truck and trailer before your husband arrives or after?  Your budget should work for a used truck and trailer but be very careful of the weight limitations of the trucks you consider when compared to the loaded weight of possible trailers. Do not trust a salesperson to tell you what a truck can tow or what the truck you choose will safely tow. 

1 hour ago, PattyLK said:

consider my husband and I working seasonally.

Is your husband a US citizen? He may have difficulty working if he isn't since he will need a work permit. You being a citizen will probably help but that isn't an area that I have much knowledge of. 

1 hour ago, PattyLK said:

For us, it really is a need and not a want to have a car that Sue can be comfortable in as a passenger or driver.

This shouldn't be a serious problem as most parks that lack space will have some extra parking area for the extra vehicle. Most parks also have at least a few designated handicapped sites. Of the different types of RV, most people find the travel trailer the most easily entered and exited. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

My gut instinct is to recommend a full-size accessible van towing a bunkhouse-style travel trailer. At, least that's what I'd research first in your situation.

Linda Sand

I'd agree with Linda.  This way, you'd only need the one vehicle and, once inside the RV, you wouldn't have any additional steps to contend with...which may or may not be a problem for your friend.  Also, you can probably find a lot more travel trailers with bunkhouses than you can fifth wheels, although they're out there.

It's at least something to keep in mind while you're out looking at RVs.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thank you rm.w/aview I really like the 5th wheels I've been in.  It's a relief to know there is overflow parking and actually, it was a salesman that told me I wouldn't be able to park another vehicle so Kirk Wood said - I'll be wary of them!

Thanks for the hardy welcome Kirk!   I've just started to dive into your extensive website - great info! 

I'm also wary of heading into this quickly and I've been looking at different models for months online.  I feel like information overload... I want to attend the RV boot camp before buying but we need a place to live sooner than the one I saw in March.  We do plan to attend the gathering and go to the boot camp then.  We will hire someone to teach my husband how to drive it and maintain - the school that has instructors come to you.  

Has anyone done the online university?  How is it?

I will wait to buy a 5th wheel until Esam sees them in person and all three of us can have input into choosing.  I plan to have someone inspect it before I buy it.  We will settle on which truck after we pick which trailer.  But I am tentatively planning on getting a 1-ton truck with a long bed just as I read online is good.  I'd like to get one of the ones that are even safer that are more like a truck that hauls cargo but they seem out of our price range.

LindaH and Sandsys thanks for the input.- I thought that too, but I've read that 5th wheels are easier to pull and also you can pull more - is that right?  We want to bring a lot with us.  I thought it would be cheaper to buy a 1-ton truck because we would only need a two-seat cab than a van.  Is that true?  Maybe I'm wrong and a van would be better?

Thanks so much!

Patty

5 hours ago, PattyLK said:

I've read that 5th wheels are easier to pull and also you can pull more - is that right?  We want to bring a lot with us.  I thought it would be cheaper to buy a 1-ton truck because we would only need a two-seat cab than a van.  Is that true?  Maybe I'm wrong and a van would be better?

You don't have to get more seats in a van than you need. In case you buy one that already has them it might help you to know I sold the back and middle seats from a van I used to have. Plus a van can get a wheelchair lift if your friend turns out to need that to get in and out. I once rode in a car pool in a van where I was able to get into the van for the trip out but I needed a boost to get back in for the return trip when I was not as fresh.

As to pulling a travel trailer, you need to get an equalizer hitch then you are all set. And you can pack lots of stuff in the back of the van so you don't need to worry as much about how much trailer you can pull. My van was a dually with an upgraded suspension which made it drive very nicely.

With a 5th wheel you can't pack much in the truck so might need to settle for a lighter weight trailer.

All just things to consider. I'm sure after doing all the research whatever decision you make will be right for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for all the great advice.  I find I am still partial to 5th wheels though.    With three people and eventually pets I figure to make sure we are comfortable even though we won't be able to fit in many places.  I think we can always store the RV and go car camping to Yellowstone and others.

I am looking at these choices and going big.  They are in order of preference.

Highland Ridge Open Range 371MBH

Coachman Brookstone 395RL

Heartland Elkridge 39MBHS

Forest River Blue Ridge 3780LF

Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Are these good manufacturers?  Because I mostly went on the floorplans.  What would we need to pull one of these monsters?  Is a 1 ton truck good enough?

Thanks, 

Patty

My first thought is that you need to talk to the amputee about these plans. I suspect you plan for her to sleep in the den. Which does not put her on the same level as the bathroom. Is that OK with her? Will she be able to flush a foot pedal toilet in the middle of the night when she will probably have removed her prosthesis? These are not things most of us think about but she might need to do so.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hello, 

She and I will probably sleep in the main bed.  My husband hates that I snore but she doesn't mind.  But no matter what if there are stairs or not she has to put her leg on to go to the bathroom.   A commode might help and there might be enough room for it in the Open Range or some of the others.  But bars and a toilette seat riser are needed in the bathroom. I have attached a picture of a toilette seat riser I found on Pinterest but can't find where to buy it.  Does anyone know where I could get such a device?

Also, is there a way to add bars to the shower?  The problem I am most concerned with is fitting a shower chair into the shower.  Do campgrounds have showers that you can use?

After some research, I am thinking it would be good to have a dually diesel truck.  Some people say that it's not necessary but it helps with stability, especially in wind.  Any suggestions which would be a good used one around $20,000?  Is that enough to spend?  Are there any upgrades that can be made to the truck, the RV or the tow system to make towing easier and safer?

Thank you, 

Patty

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 5.49.58 AM.png

3 hours ago, PattyLK said:

Also, is there a way to add bars to the shower?  The problem I am most concerned with is fitting a shower chair into the shower.  Do campgrounds have showers that you can use?

The problem in adding grab bars in an RV is that the walls are not made like those in a house and have much less material in them and are often not that strong. It is not likely that you will be able to add them in a shower, but possible. Showers tend to be smaller than those in stick homes. Most commercial and many public RV parks do have showers but not all will be ADA compliant and the level of cleanliness varies greatly. 

I don't believe that you have mentioned your ages, but that could play into the entire choice since retired folks tend to not be as able to adapt and adjust as younger folks. Physical characteristics will also play a part as small, slender folks can make do with a smaller RV than can those of more height of girth. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for providing more detail. It all helps us understand how we might help you.

Again, this is just my experiences for you to consider.

My Mom had a toilet riser where the opening was too small. It was a real hassle to keep it clean.

When I had my knee replacements I discovered I could turn my walker around backwards and place it over the toilet with the opening at the front and use that to push myself up into a standing position.

My shower stool has no back which makes it take up less space; it sort of looks like a short bar stool with adjustable height legs. It would fit into the shower of our Class A motorhome. The built in seat in RV showers aren't usually well designed; way too short. I got down then had to have Dave come pull me up. I think they are more designed to put a foot up on while shaving legs.

Again, these are my experiences in which I hope you can find some value.

Linda Sand

I'd recommend looking for a RV with an all-in-one bathroom rather than a split bath. That would give more maneuvering room with a walker.  I really doubt any RV wall could support grab bars if they're needed to actually get up. That puts a lot of strain on them.  If only needed for balance and light holding they would work.  Do not get the suction-type. They are extremely dangerous.  Walkers are wide and many RV bath doors are narrow. Measure carefully.  A handicap bathroom at a RV park would be the best option.

To me, a 5th wheel is a poor choice due to the many steps.  You know your friend's capability better than us.

Best of luck to you!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks, rm.w/aview.  I thought because the toilette is smaller the riser would need to be made specifically for RV's - my husband is checking out what to install.  I've been endlessly watching walkthroughs and reviews for about a year but I was looking for a smaller RV.  I realize now we really need something big to live in it fulltime.  Plus all three of us are PLUS sized so it makes sense we need a bigger one.  We are hoping hiking regularly will help lower our weights.  The number of choices is astounding and I'm afraid I will have analysis paralysis :)

Awesome suggestion to turn a walker around!   Thanks, Linda. 

Kirk, we are 48, 51 and 56. Yes - I believe we will have to rely on showers at campgrounds.  It's just too risky to use a suction type handle. Or maybe with my help, Sue could use a show chair in the shower.  She wants to get a prosthetic for swimming!!! So maybe she could use that to take a shower!!!!!!! :)

We are highly adaptable people!  We often go to science fictions conventions at hotels and sleep on the floor.  Sue drives all over Eastern US to attend them.  Sue has had trouble with her leg for a while - last year she rented a Uhaul with hand controls and drove it from Virginia to New York towing her Pontiac! Sue can definitely adapt.  Plus, Sue has amazed everyone at the hospital with adapting to the prosthetic.  She is already doing stairs and it's only been about 6 weeks since the surgery. 

For my husband and I, a 5th wheel will have much more comforts than our apartment here in Egypt - it will be wonderful just to have a shower and western style kitchen. Also, I've spent whole summers with my children living out of a car and camping all over the US.  Esam and I went to Indonesia for our honeymoon and we even took an adventure cruise with many young people sleeping on the floor of the deck.  (It was amazingly beautiful and I got to swim with manta rays!)  So we should be good!

I am finding out that mid bunk floorplans are in high demand.  I am having trouble finding many used ones.  But I think a big one with front living might work or a grand design RV that has that extra back room - (the momentum) might work even better.  

Thanks, 
Patty

Patty, you aren't the first one to consider a toy hauler (that's what the Momentum is) as a coach with a second bedroom or workshop.

It seems to me that one of the big issues you will have to tackle is the electric wheelchair/scooter. Since it shouldn't get wet, it is going to have to be parked inside something. I doubt that you will be able to get it into any RV other than a toy hauler. The problem you will face there is that the chair will have to drive to the rear of your pad and the ramp will have to be lowered. You will need a pretty big site to allow that. On the other hand, if Sue can walk some, the chair can be kept in a van with the chair lift.

Don't count on using the bed of a truck for anything but the hitch for the fifth wheel if you go that route.

Other than Airstreams, you are going to have to climb several steps to get into any RV. The difference is that most travel trailers and motor homes have flat floors once you are inside, while fifth wheels require you to go up a few more steps to get to the upper level. That may get old for Sue very soon.

You have a LOT of researching to do in a fairly short period of time. Don't dismiss a Class A right away. My mother-in-law had a Dodge Caravan that was adapted for her wheel chair. Those cars can be towed behind a MH, and ought to get reasonable mileage. Remember that the RV will only go from campsite to campsite, while the other vehicle will go sightseeing, to Wal-Mart, etc.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived