Electrical Problem

Check to be sure all of your circuit breakers are closed properly by opening each one and closing it again. Pay particular attention tothose on the generator set. It sounds like you have a 50a RV and one phase is not getting power. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just a quick thought.

Your auto transfer switch probably has one 110 volt wire burned at the connection. Or something in that area to cause that problem

Now it could be something else. But that is where I would start. If you get near that switch it may smell like burnt wiring. 

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Good question Drifter. FWIW I'm pretty much in agreement with the above. My first question is what is your transfer method ??? I assume an auto transfer switch but have seen manual systems. If she works on shore power but once the genny runs certain electrical appliances DO  NOT, one (among several)  possibilities is  a transfer switch problem and I would look there for burned or loose or disconnected wires. Of course, any fuses or breakers need to be checked. When my genny powers up there's a delay after which the transfer switch engages and it makes an audible sound when that happens. Take a good look n listen at your switch when the genny starts up, it needs to toggle (shore power to genset) to operate. 

I have also seen RV gensets with onboard breakers tripped which, of course, makes them inoperative to power the RV even though running  fine. NOW WOULDNT THAT BE A SIMPLE FIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your house battery charger/converter likely only operates on ONE 120 VAC leg (assuming a 50 amp RV) of your system, so if the Genset only powers one leg (no idea from here how YOUR RV operates) and that's the leg the Converter/Charger is connected to, SEE ALL THAT ABOVE AND BELOW. Your Genset may be configured and wired to serve BOTH legs of 120 VAC, I just cant say from here.

Check breakers on the Genset itself or close by including the panel and elsewhere, check the transfer switch for burned or loose or missing/disconnected wires and/or burned electrical odor, take two aspirins and call me at the office lol

John T   

"I have also seen RV gensets with onboard breakers tripped which, of course, makes them inoperative to power the RV even though running  fine. NOW WOULDNT THAT BE A SIMPLE FIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

CONGRATULATIONS Thanks for the feedback, a nice "simple fix"  is always great to come across.

John T

3 hours ago, Arizona Drifter said:

It was one of the generator circuit breakers.

The key was that part of the circuits worked and part did not. That lead to the suspicion that one phase was open as your distribution box has two separate supplies, one from L1 and the other from L2.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived