Long units

dblr

They're actually fairly common in some of the western states, but they're either three short (28 ft.) short trailers or one 40 ft. followed by a shorter pup trailer.  Also notice they're travelling in a convoy, so they're probably travelling under an oversize load permit that spells out the routing.

You'll hear some RVers talk about "triple towing" but this means having two trailers, not three.  Usually the second trailer is a car or a small boat or utility trailer and even this isn't legal in all states. 

North Dakota allows what's called a B-Train which looks like a 53' trailer with another 48' behind it.  Menards runs them all the time here.  Fed-X, UPS, and the other shipping companies pull triple pups across I-94 daily even in snow and ice.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I ran doubles for UPS when I worked there up and down 95 between New York and Richmond Va. and have seen the triples when we go west now with the camper. What caught my eye in that video were some of the different looking 5th wheels they were also towing.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

It was interesting to see a few American trucks in this and,another French circus video.   In the other video there were also some single axle trucks towing US made fifth wheels.      Perhaps a European chapter of the HDT group has hope?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, hone eagle said:

pretty sure I have seen 2 53's , divided hyw only ,they break them up going into a city.

Ontario and Quebec allow twin 53 on the divided highways.  

Some of the western US also allow twin 53s, but the weight laws aren't always favorable to full loads.

Backing up a set of doubles is a challenge, a co-worker used to be able to back up a set of pups ( 28" ) and put the back pup on the unload door

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

There's a difference between "wiggle wagons", in the first video and Super B trains. Whole nother kettle of fish again, is road trains with a converter on the front of a 53' van. A Super B is easy to back up, compared to the others, with their extra pivot points. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived