Will there be any discusion at this rally concerning future rally dates?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I realize that there are some, how many I have no idea who attend some sort of rally in Arizona, BEFORE coming to the National HDT Rally, it is also my understanding and I MAY BE WRONG in that understanding that this years rally date was set a week later then usual so that folks who attend the Arizona rally could also attend the National HDT Rally.

Those of us who travel from northern, especially mountainous areas know that anytime in the month of October can be hazardous when it comes to road conditions but the later in the month the greater the chance of having to deal with cold, snow and ice when crossing those mountains.  In 2016 and 2017, when traveling to the rally which was held during the second week of October I drove in snow whilst crossing Wyoming and Nebraska, last year 2017, I drove down Bozeman Pass in Montana which was covered in ice and snow.  I am sure I am not the only one who is concerned about holding the rally so late in the month, going home will be still later and the chances of bad road conditions even greater.

With that in mind will there be any discussion concerning future rally dates, will there be information shared on how many of the  HDT rally attendees come from the Arizona rally compared to the number who don't?  I am NOT trying to stir up trouble, I am concerned about driving in bad weather and road conditions not only for myself but I would wager quite a few who must deal with adverse conditions when the rally is held this late in the year.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Generally the date is set to be the second week after the Good Sam Rally as we have previously run into conflicts if we scheduled the week right after,  The Good Samers are slow to leave not even taking into account the many HDTers that arrive early.  And the Good Sam Rally is set after the Kansas State Fair.

I don't think the Arizona Balloon event is even considered.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Just now, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Generally the date is set to be the second week after the Good Sam Rally as we have previously run into conflicts if we scheduled the week right after,  The Good Samers are slow to leave not even taking into account the many HDTers that arrive early.  And the Good Sam Rally is set after the Kansas State Fair.

I don't think the Arizona Balloon event is even considered.

Howdy Mark,

Thank you for correcting me, like I said I may have been wrong in what I heard being discussed at last years rally. 

That said, my point stands, the later in the year this rally is held the greater the chance of bad weather and road conditions for many of us who travel from the north or cross mountains.  As to the Good Sam'ers, I have attended counting this year six National rallies, I have yet to see anywhere near half of the campground filled with our group, am I to understand that there are so many Good Sam'ers hanging around that there is not room for our group?  Again I am NOT trying to stir trouble but seeking information.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It is open to discussion.  True, unlike the early years when Good Sam occupied the entire park, and in fact rented the entire park, they do no occupy the whole park.  But they do occupy the spaces near the buildings we rent and those spaces neatest the buildings are some of the last to leave.

If we start the week after the Good Samers. our trucks would be spread all over the park and definitely not near the buildings.  That may nor seem important but having the trucks concentrated leads to more dialogs, viewing and walking to the building.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

6 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

It is open to discussion.  True, unlike the early years when Good Sam occupied the entire park, and in fact rented the entire park, they do no occupy the whole park.  But they do occupy the spaces near the buildings we rent and those spaces neatest the buildings are some of the last to leave.

If we start the week after the Good Samers. our trucks would be spread all over the park and definitely not near the buildings.  That may nor seem important but having the trucks concentrated leads to more dialogs, viewing and walking to the building.

Howdy Mark,

You make valid points, yes being grouped rather then spread out is a good thing just trying to gather information that hopefully be of good use to many.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

I arrived in Hutchinson yesterday (Tuesday, Oct 9th). Monday, while driving across WY on I-80, I drove through FOUR snow storms! I pushed on because the weather out west was supposed to worsen. I was happy it was all rain driving through CO into western KS. 

Howdy jkoenig,

Your driving experience is exactly what I am concerned about, glad you arrived safely.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I'm torn. Too early means we have to skip out, due to time south of the border. Early fall storms are typically a bear to deal with, with heavy wet snow, and icy roads. I've driven storms year round, and early fall or late spring are my least favourites. Give me a good winter storm any day.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

No matter when the Rally's are set there are going to be folks who cannot make it due to one thing or another. Weather is one of those things and is very unpredictable,  especially  at least almost a year ahead of time.  Personally I think October is  a great time to visit Hutchinson, KS. Any earlier to me it's way too hot and windy. The Kansas State Fair won't be changed to accommodate the HDT Rally or the Good Sam Rally. While I'd like to take a week off every year to attend, I cannot. Will plan to be there next year though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Snow    We had it at the ECR in late April so it doesn't seem to matter were you are for our Rallies you just might see some kind of unwanted weather. Is it to early to think Spring? Just think of those people down in Fla and points North. Mike is something to stay away from. Our Prayers are with them.   Pat

The Old Sailor

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Snow    We had it at the ECR in late April so it doesn't seem to matter were you are for our Rallies you just might see some kind of unwanted weather. Is it to early to think Spring? Just think of those people down in Fla and points North. Mike is something to stay away from. Our Prayers are with them.   Pat

The Old Sailor

We’ve never had snow at the West Coast Rally. ;)  

You all should come and check it out.  :)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

LOL.... If it snows then something really bad has happened.... like California has fallen off the rest of the US!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

26 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

LOL.... If it snows then something really bad has happened.... like California has fallen off the rest of the US!

Jim, that would then be advantages to all who have purchased beach front property in Arizona !!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

On 10/11/2018 at 12:16 AM, Chad Heiser said:

I know its a long time yet but have the official dates for the west coast rally been decided? I am planning on making that trip and places to stop along the way. I want to start making reservations.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

We fulltime & are almost always in the North. We head South when the campgrounds start closing down, usually from 15-31 Oct. The earlier the rally the more days we end up double paying for campsites because we pay either seasonally or monthly in the North. Later works better for us.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

10 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I know its a long time yet but have the official dates for the west coast rally been decided? I am planning on making that trip and places to stop along the way. I want to start making reservations.

The WCR is tentatively set for June 10-17 next year.  The park doesn’t start taking reservations until after the first of the year, thus the tentative dates right now.  It will be the first week long WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

12 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

The WCR is tentatively set for June 10-17 next year.  The park doesn’t start taking reservations until after the first of the year, thus the tentative dates right now.  It will be the first week long WCR.

Ok thanks. Wife and I are starting to figure out a route and things to see along the way. I also have friends and family in Caldwell so I can give them a head up on what week we will be there.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Archived