So how DO You choose full time living Class A vs 5er?

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And the first time I engaged the exhaust brake and 'walked' down a pass, I was hooked. 

What a diesel engine does by engaging the exhaust brake, a naturally aspirated gasoline engine does naturally.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

That's one of the reasons we wanted a DP.  

We wanted a DP also, but then I really wanted a Lincoln when I bought my last Ford too. The fact is there is nowhere that one can go with a diesel pusher that can't be visited in a gas powered motorhome except for the snobby RV parks that do not let cheap rigs in. My gas coach may have gone up the mountains a bit slower and your air ride was definitely better than mine even after I added the airbags, but the price I paid for my coach was much lower than yours and yet it was able to do everything yours could, if a little slower. Another feature your DP had over my gasser was a much larger price. I am happy for you that your budget was large enough to buy a DP but some of us do not have that large a budget. Gaylord Maxwell said it best in an article originally published by Motorhome Magazine back in 2001.

And it is a fact that, regardless of income, much of what people enjoy most about the full-time lifestyle does not depend on how much money you have. The reality is that the sun shines at exactly the same temperature on a poor fellow as it does on a rich fellow. Yellowstone National Park's famous views cannot be enjoyed any more by a rich man than they can by a poor man. The feeling of freedon that is enjoyed by most full-timers is no more intense for wealthy people than it is for those with less money. In short, full-timing is not a lifestyle that requires a definite amount of income for all participants.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Once again, a thread has gone to "I paid less for mine ......"

I am sure that we could have purchased a gas motorhome that would have worked for us.  We were fortunate to be able to purchased a USED DP that fit our needs and did what we want.   Isn't it lucky that there are so many options for different people.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I've enjoyed reading all the posts on this subject.  Except for the paranoia about rollovers, they were all useful and worth considering.  As someone who has owned four 5th wheels and two motorhomes, and have been full timing for 14 years, I'd  add one more thing to consider;  weight.  When we lived in our fivers I always had to consider the weight - the tires and suspension were limited in what they would carry.  In our 40' DP, we started with a carrying capacity of nearly 5000 pounds.  In addition, the structure is stronger and the interior furnishing better because there's no restriction on what the tires/suspension can carry.  True, there are fivers that have a large weight capacity, but you'll need a MDT to pull it.  In addition, we volunteer for 3-4 month periods in places we want to explore, and our AWD CRV gets 28MPG - a big advantage over a large pickup.  Not to say the MH is better than a fiver - we' enjoyed our fiver days, but at this point in our lives we prefer the motor home.  The bottom line is to get out and enjoy the RV lifestyle, no matter what type of RV you choose.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

I thought I would jump back in and add a couple of thoughts. 

After reading all threads and kind words, I’m leaning,just leaning mind you towards a smaller DRV Ellite suites. For several reasons. I have another thread about full body paint (yea or no) 100%yes by the way.   DRV comes full paint ,fiberglass room,skirts.

I plan on parking for longer periods than bouncing around,perhaps by the season.

I know this may not make any sense to many of you but a diesel pusher looks very complicated to me ,all the systems tied in with household living is daunting to me . If there was a system failure I would be frazzled. It can happen in a 5 th wheel too but “to me” I ve owned homes and been able to diagnose the issue. I look at a motor home and it confounds me. I also can not afford a new one which kinda has me wondering,why did these folks sell? And there are a million reasons.

im sure all the DP folks will tell me my fears are unfounded. I’ll hear horror stories about 5 this too. But it’s still the learning stage, and for some of us , as Bob Dillon says.......we’ll meet again down the road some day.

34 minutes ago, mickeyblueyes said:

I also can not afford a new one which kinda has me wondering,why did these folks sell? And there are a million reasons.

That is a risk one takes when you buy used but there are many here who advocate that a newer used RV is better than new, first owner. I have owned both new and used and have never had a bad experience with either, but I spend a great deal of time inspecting before taking delivery, used or new. As a career service tech I started with a very simple RV that had little in it and slowly worked my way up to the true self-contained, learning about appliances and systems as I went. Dealers don't like me at times as it takes me at least 2 hours to accept an RV as ready. Even though I prefer the class A, that doesn't mean it would be best for you. (I still get jumped for saying that budget is more important than fuel used as you can see on another current thread) It really doesn't matter why you like the RV that you select and the only absolute rules should be those of weight & safety. Most other information on RV choice is opinion, whether mine or someone else. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, mickeyblueyes said:

I know this may not make any sense to many of you but a diesel pusher looks very complicated to me ,all the systems tied in with household living is daunting to me . If there was a system failure I would be frazzled. It can happen in a 5 th wheel too but “to me” I ve owned homes and been able to diagnose the issue. I look at a motor home and it confounds me. I also can not afford a new one which kinda has me wondering,why did these folks sell? And there are a million reasons.

im sure all the DP folks will tell me my fears are unfounded. I’ll hear horror stories about 5 this too. But it’s still the learning stage, and for some of us , as Bob Dillon says.......we’ll meet again down the road some day.

The House systems are the same on both 5ers and Class As.  All have problems that you figure out, solve, and go on.

As for engine/transmissions, for DPs it is probably Cummins/Allison and those go and go and go.   Electrical systems take some getting use to.  We don’t do our own maintenance.  I worked years and years saving for retirement, and money set aside for annual maintenance (as well as repairs, hoses, belts, etc. need to be replaced) is part of our budget.  

A couple of things to think about - I’m a 73 yr old woman and the DP doesn’t scare me, and yes I drive, I can hookup and unhook everything all by myself, and have done so.  And yes, it takes time to get to know your rig.    As to why they end up selling rigs, the reasons are as varied as are the people, but I think you will find that for DPs it is the aging of the owners and health complications or death of one of the spouses.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Well, I’m not saying I have champagne taste with a beer pocket as the saying goes....but I like to buy once cry once. Which means I like to purchase the best available quality available.in this case we are talking about DPers and 5 th wheels.

so if I have my facts correct do far New Horzons is the top of the pack in 5 th wheel manufacturing. At 300, 000 or more a unit it be more than I felt comfortable spending.

next in line is a DRV. At ? $150,000 a unit perhaps good quality? I can’t find fault with them so far. 

Next down is the Montanas and Alpines and that crowd . Good quality last most people a lifetime if cared for.

on the Diesel pusher side you have Prevost. Not even close to being in budget even if I got 3 families to live in it.,Newmar? Let’s just wander down to the $150,000 mark on Diesel Pushers. That’s the entry level. So I d rather have a top notch 5th wheel ala Prevost rather than a entry level. I doesn’t bother me driving my Dually to sight see or go food shopping ,so having a toad that get 30 mpg is not a agenda for me.

i could get a 18 year old Prevost from here https://www.panterracoach.com/2000-prevost-royale-xl.html.  But it’s the price of a brand new DRV 5 th.

and it’s going to cost me more to get around in it too. And the systems are 18 years old my guess is newer is better.

Why are you talking new for DPs?  DPs 5-8 yrs old would be what I’d be looking at.  Dutch Star for example.  

Any high end rig 5-10  years old is better than new entry level if it has been well maintained.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Wow, from calling one of my posts about the "inconvenient truth" of slab sided motor homes offering no protection (except for metal frame bus conversions built for passenger service, and Class C motor-homes with the van front driver compartment,) to now arguing with the OP about his preference for fivers for all his reasons. When asked for bogus made up statistics the silence was deafening.

The thread was to help with deciding between a fiver and a motor-home. Not what kind of motor-home to buy.

He has decided on a 5th wheel?

And the comparison became gas MHs versus gassers?

Instead of calling a post paranoid, prove with pics and authoritative source links, that class A MHs do not turn into rubble in a rollover. Or prove that in a head on how the cabinets and all  loose items (appliances not bolted or screwed down like toasters) all become projectiles along with any passengers not belted in.

I was going to leave those alone but the MHs keep harping on rain. If they get a pull through many of those are not long enough for the MH and the toad, so unhitching in the rain is necessary. If the MH has to back in they have to get out in the rain to unhitch the toad.

We are inherently secure in RV parks but for any other stops if you are afraid to get out and walk the dog rain or shine or go from truck to trailer you probably should have stopped elsewhere for lunch like a truck stop or well lit area around others. We had a dog with us during our 7 years RVin, Bogart the wonder dog, so we had to get out to walk him no matter what. He was very protective. Not with friends or people we invited in. His pic is on our website.

But if one does feel more secure not getting out, how do they fill their propane tanks, refuel, or boondock?

Down here in the South we call our trucks "Cowboy Cadillacs!" Because lots of folks prefer to drive one available but can't afford a third vehicle. on the road you can only tow one without a Heavy duty truck/tractor and a parking lot. (Parking lot is Trucker for car haulers. Flat beds are skateboards, etc.) But we know trucks are not for everyone anymore than all should buy only the type of RV the advisor owns.

I chose to ride motorcycles most of my life from my 1966 Motoguzzi 125 through Gold and silver wings one Harley Electr aglide classic, and a bunch of others. In a crash they were more dangerous than a motor home!

But those are obvious. Few folks know there are no regulations for motorhome passenger protection above the frame. Thus they get the same wood or aluminum framed foam sandwich panels cabins as travel trailers and fivers.

There are preferences and opinions, and then there are facts.

It is a fact you aren't riding in an RV cabin when you have a fiver. It is a fact that Motorhomes are the same construction. Many states outlaw humans riding in any travel trailer or fiver. When comparing the crash-worthiness is just one data point. As most advised I also say check out all types and narrow it down to what is right for you! And if a motorhome is your choice, reading a thread like this makes that an informed choice.

Good luck with the fiver you choose, and as always -

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

I was going to leave those alone but the MHs keep harping on rain. If they get a pull through many of those are not long enough for the MH and the toad, so unhitching in the rain is necessary. If the MH has to back in they have to get out in the rain to unhitch the toad.

Not if you don't pull a toad. We traveled many miles in our Class C's and B's without a toad. When we pulled or backed into a site our batteries were full so we could wait out any bad weather for a long time. Many nights we never went outside at all. Not because we were scared or because we didn't like the weather but because everything we needed was right at hand so we didn't need to go out. Even at Walmart or Cracker Barrel we could just call into the store for permission to stay overnight. Although we usually did go inside in the morning to spend some money for food of one type or another.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived