So how DO You choose full time living Class A vs 5er?

17 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Some owners will also go on about how it is risky to travel in a motorhome if you have an accident and show you ugly pictures, but those things happen to people towing fifth wheels too.

Kirk, I emphasized that fifth wheels also have accidents but people are not in the cabin of the fiver. They are 1000 times safer in a rollover in a truck. If you click on the links you'll see dashcam videos of many tail wagger wrecks just from passing a biG truck, regardless of fancy hitches physics remains.

The risks are different in the various types of RV and each one has both good and bad points, but the accident statistics don't support the claim that fifth wheel travel is safer.  If that were true the insurance costs would reflect it.

Kirk,

Would you please post a link/s to your source for your statistics please?

I supplied pics and source links for my assertions. These new folks are asking for good data points not, gloss overs to avoid the hard truth about safety and inherent risks. The only folks compiling statistics on the risks with each type of RV I know of are the RV consumer's group. And I linked to their free page warning of short wheelbase motorhomes, but I'll post it again.

Avoid shortbwheelbase motorhomes

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like someone else already said, what do you want to drive while camped?  Add to that, do you want another vehicle with you?

Full timing in a Toy Hauler for us would be hard because your actual living area is not that large.  Full timing in a regular large fiver would be okay if you are good with just the 1 ton for daily driving.

Full timing in a DP can give you about as much living space but it is possible to have a car and motorcycle along, or a car and gulf cart along, or two small cars along.

IMHO it is more expensive to maintain a DP and travel in it.  We averaged between 10mpg and 13mpg with our F350/fiver combination.  Our DP pulling a large trailer is staying between 6mpg and 7mpg.  The prices of tires and other things are generally more expensive on a DP.

Everyone has their own experiences and ideas.  I think you just have to figure out what works best for you as a full timer and go for it.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

For us we saw the benefit's of both. For us during the first 6 years of fulltime travel we opted for a motorhome. We have a 42' with heated tile floors, dishwasher, 1 1/2 baths, fireplace and on and on. Plenty comfortable for us with ample storage, and I love love love driving it down the road. And we moved pretty much every week so it was just as perfect as can be.

But now we plan to slow down and spend 4 or 5 months at one spot during the winter months and want to spend a couple months at a time at locations during the summer so we are switching to a 5th wheel so we don't deal with a big engine and expensive tires sitting for long periods of time.

Our 5th wheel will still have all of the creature comforts and I knw we will enjoy it as much as we have the motorhome but things will just be different. No right or wrong, just different. It just depends on how your head works.

Trust me, you will find challenges in both worlds, there is no perfect I'm afraid.   

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

IMHO it is more expensive to maintain a DP and travel in it.  We averaged between 10mpg and 13mpg with our F350/fiver combination.  Our DP pulling a large trailer is staying between 6mpg and 7mpg.  The prices of tires and other things are generally more expensive on a Diesel Pusher.

Well that’s straight from the horses mouth as they used to say.  (What does that mean?)

anyhow that’s a biggie to me.  It would either cost. $541. To go 1000 miles in a diesel pusher or $250 in a pickup with a 5 th  I do realize that road conditions,speed weight,tire inflation and sun spots will effect these general numbers.

so in conclusion,my money tree died in 2001 and it’s been tough living with out it. I  look at it this way now. Got the truck with 120.000 miles on it. It’s not fancy with all the electronics so I just need the 5th wheel, found one I like. Has plenty of room ,all the new stuff,self leveling,ects so my next choice is to buy it new or look for a used one? The smart side of me says used,the practical and frivolous side says new,will be careful to have enough to go back to S&B  living if that ever creeps into play.So I guess that’s that ! Till I start having doubts again.

We are not actual full timers but close to it as we still own a S&B.The determining factors were affordability that is what could be afford to spend on a RV and what could we get for that money.We do not buy used. How will we use the RV and which RV is best suited for that use. Interior storage space was critical for Helen and exterior storage space as well as ease of set up and maintenance was critical for me.

If purchased today you can easily have 140 K or more invested in a mid level 5th wheel and truck to pull it. My question today would be what could we get for 140K in a class A MH vs the truck and 5th wheel.We faced the same question in 2006 and 2013 but of course the money was a bit lower. I preferred a MH as  we drove  school bus and over the road charter bus  after our retirement and was convinced that the MH was easier to drive park, etc as we parked these buses in places you would not believe. Helen's tape measure indicated more interior storage space in a 40 foot 5th wheel that a 40 foot MH . The MH would have to be a  diesel pusher with air brakes as I was well aware of what it took to stop the weight of a 40 foot MH. Our choice was based primary on affordability as we could not  get what we wanted in a MH for the $$$ we could spend. That is our story others will vary.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

At RV Boot Camp in Livingston about nine years ago I was told to get a MH to drive and a fiver to park. Because of our use, five months in the UP of MI in the summer we opted for a fiver. Ours is rated for full time but we don't full time. The Ladies at the Boot Camp told my better half bigger, bigger, bigger, so we ended up with a 42 footer. Good Luck

You have tons of advise here, all I'll add is a strong recommendation to attend Escapee Boot Camp to learn and get ideas from others in your situation and choose a MH you like and a fifth wheel you like.  Then spend an afternoon pretending to live in each, sit to watch TV, sit on the toilet, get in the shower, stand in the kitchen reaching appliances and cupboards, access the storage bays, etc.  That helped us in making our decision.     Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I have been researching RV's for several years for when I retire.  I want to full time.  I feel that the best decision for me is going to be a used, gas MH in the 35' range.  Here is what I wanted and looked at in both MH's and 5'vers:

1)  I am by myself so wanted easy set up and tear down.  No one to help me back up, unhook, hook up, set up and tear down. 

2) If I wanted to stop for lunch or potty break in the pouring rain a MH was much better.  Or even once getting to a location not having to get out in the rain to set up everything.

3) Wanted as much storage as possible as I will be full time.

4) Didn't want to drive a large truck once I got to a location.  Wanted something more economical to drive around.  Bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad.

5) I don't plan on traveling all the time, but find a location stay a month or two then move to another location.  May plan a "trip" once or twice a year.  I was also told that buy a 5'ver if you plan to park and a MH to drive.

I feel that a MH is a better choice for me.  Everyone has different reasons why they buy what they buy.  You have to decide what will best suit your needs.  Recently I have been looking at all the different manufacturers, their models, floor plans, etc.  I have found a couple that I really like the floor plans in.  Haven't purchased anything yet, still have a couple years before I retire.  Would be easier if there weren't so many options.......lol.

11 minutes ago, rollindowntheroad said:

I was also told that buy a 5'ver if you plan to park and a MH to drive.

I feel that a MH is a better choice for me.  Everyone has different reasons why they buy what they buy.  You have to decide what will best suit your needs. 

You are on the right track. There are two of us and we were told much the same as you were, but we did it all wrong in that we bought a class A gas. Lots of experts told us that our RV was too small, should be diesel, not good for those who sit for long periods, and a long list of other things that we did wrong! We love to do the RV volunteer thing and so we would sit 2 or 3 different places each year, typically for periods of 2 to 4 months. I guess we were just into doing things wrong since we lived for 12 very happy years in the wrong RV and I would still be out there if Pam's health had not gotten in the way!  The biggest mistake new RV people make is to buy what others think will be right when something else seems to fit better. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Like Kirk, we've gotten along just fine for a number of years with mid-sized gassers, most of the time with just the two of us and our dog, now just the two of us. We did move up about 5 year ago from a 33' no slide gasser all the way to a 34' single slide gasser though. Also like Kirk, we sometimes stay in one place for 2-3 months, and we've also been told we've been "doing it all wrong" for the past 10 years. Oddly, we somehow don't feel that way at all... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

4) Didn't want to drive a large truck once I got to a location.  Wanted something more economical to drive around.  Bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad.

I got to be honest  with you it may be more convenient to drive a Jeep ,but it’s not going to be more economical. Hi get like 16 mpg around town. Jeep wranglers not s much. So it’s for convenience.

21 hours ago, mickeyblueyes said:

I got to be honest  with you it may be more convenient to drive a Jeep ,but it’s not going to be more economical. Hi get like 16 mpg around town. Jeep wranglers not s much. So it’s for convenience.

With my Jeep I am averaging 20 mpg.  I can't see where a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is going to be more economical.  

4 hours ago, rollindowntheroad said:

With my Jeep I am averaging 20 mpg.  I can't see where a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is going to be more economical.  

You are a lucky guy ,I never heard of that mileage out of a Wranger

there is a forum for Jeep mileage , the average is 16.4 for most newer wranglers

http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler

Which is why I would think we got the same mileage, most guys get better mileage than me, I’ve got 6 tires ,and 4:11 gears will 4 wheel drive . The heaviest combo there is.

•  
  •  

Reality ..We tow about 15K of 5th wheel, maybe a bit more, with a 08 F350 Dually Diesel. We  can count on  around 10MPG at the end of the average day sometimes a bit less not very often more. The run 62 /65 MPH. The Fords are heavy but sturdy trucks .The truck weighs 9K lbs  or a bit more ready to tow that means we are pulling @ 24 K  or more.

We will be leaving for our Florida residence soon which is in excess of 1200 miles from our Driveway. We will use 120 gallons  of diesel or more  at todays price of 3.29.9 per gallon. We will get discounts at FJ/pilot or other stations . We do not drive  miles off the interstate or TPK to save 2 or 3 cents per  gallon.The trip will cost us @ 360 or more $$$ maybe more.

Fuel and lodgings will be your greatest expense. RV'ing no matter how you do it is not cheap. This is why I keep emphasizing  to  determine what your income will allow you to do then stay within that determination. Other folks are always very generous with your money.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

One of these times when it really is a personal decision on what is important to the person writing the check:)! No really right of wrong. And, I know of many RV'er's that find that their opinions will change over the years, based upon changes in how they're using a coach. 

I'll make a few comments, that I believe to be real, from my experiences:

> Class A DP's will typically be more expensive for yearly maintenance. Especially if you move up into the higher level's DP's, as they have more goodies to maintain. 

> Class A Gasser's can provide very satisfying environments, and are probably pretty much on par with a Tow Vehicle and Fiver maintenance costs.

> I believe Class A's with Toads are easier to setup/breakdown camps, while coming & going. 

> Nice to not need to leave a Class A to use the head, and or get a meal, and pull into a say a pull thru campground in increment weather, and decide to wait to do final campground set up for nicer weather:)!

> 40-45' DP's, can provide as much room for living, as all but the largest Fiver's. Many have TV's in not looking up towards the front cap angle. 

> Top end Fiver's, can be just as extravagant as higher end DP's. 

> I believe most higher end DP's have greater CCC and cargo capacity then Fiver's.

> Unless a fiver is being towed by a MDT/HDT rig, the view and height of a DP or Gasser, is going to provide greater viewing opportunities while driving.

> At the entry to mid price ranges, a Gasser Class A and Tow vehicle and Fiver can be found. 

> Also at the entry to mid price ranges, a DP and higher end Tow vehicle and Fiver  can be found, by dropping years to remain within budget range. 

> I agree with for traveling, Class A. For longer term stay's at parks, Fiver. 

=====

I'll stop here. And also provide an opinion that if a person considering this for the first time, meaning know actual RV'ing experience. That I feel it's better to get into this at a lower to mid price point. Go out and do some traveling and camping for awhile. Observe what you like, and don't like. Also watch other's around you, and see if other likes and dislikes pop up. After a year or so, evaluate what you have, and if not what you want. Then start the process over on finding what you want for the long haul (At least for now.), and go shopping. 

A final observation, seen here on the Escapee's many times. And also give and advice many times. Have an Exit Strategy in place. Understand that what is right for you now, may no longer be right for you in 10, 15, 20+ years. As you travel, visit some of the Escapees COOP's and other parks, and look at the transition that many Escapee's members make. You'll see more stationary Class A'/Fiver's/Trailers - that are no longer traveling. You'll find in many parks, that members have gone to Park Models, and in some cases, bought smaller Class B's or Trucks with Campers, to still get out and about for shorter hops. Many have a Northern base, and a Southern base. And fly or drive a vehicle as the seasons change. The post of this final observation, is life changes:)! 

Good luck to you on whatever you choose, go have some fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

7 minutes ago, mickeyblueyes said:

Smitty ....excellent post especially the last paragraph.

I agree! We bought our first RV in 1972, went full-time in 2000, back to part-time in 2012. Now we are beginning to think of what is next. Life has been a series of changes and for most of us will be so long as we live. Smitty stated it well. 

On 10/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, OregonJim said:

Mickeyblueyes, I'm in virtually the same boat as you.  I'm heavily leaning toward a Class A diesel pusher.  However, finances may dictate a gas rig.  And, I haven't completely ruled out a fiver, either.  If I already had a suitable truck (which I don't), I'd probably be leaning the other way.

For me, the most important thing is trying to imagine the amount of work required on a regular basis to setup/breakdown camp.  Remember, you'll be doing this dozens of times each year, usually before and after a long day of driving - and the weather may not always be favorable.  In a motorhome, you can just stop, push a button to level, and go to bed.  Hookups can wait until the morning.  In a fiver, you have to set out the legs, chock the wheels, unhook the truck, level the rig, then you can go to bed (and it could very well be raining the whole time).  Also, I dread the day that I forget to lock the pin in place before driving off.  I like the idea that you can park in the pouring rain, have supper or do whatever you want and not have to get wet in a Class A.  I don't like the idea of not being able to back up without unhooking the toad.  However, I'd rather have a small, fuel-efficient toad to sight-see in than a big, noisy truck.  A fiver has more interior space, but far less storage space.  If you run out of propane in a motorhome, you have to move the whole rig to refill.  In a fiver, you can just put the tanks in the truck and get them refilled.   For me, I'm looking at doing a fair amount of boondocking, and I don't know that either setup has a clear advantage in that area.

My wife and I are going to an RV show this weekend - the only goal is to get closer to making a decision on the TYPE of rig we want to spend the next 10 or more years in.  Maybe that strategy would help you as well...

-Jim

With the right truck and hitch and 5ver hooking and unhitching is as simple and quick as a motorhome.  The reason you have the RV is on those not so great weather days. A quick call to the office for another night is the solution. Long days on the road driving!  What are those.  On the road at 9 or so off the toad at at 2pm.  250 miles maybe 300 max per day and rest. Anymore might as well drive a car and stay in a motel. Heavy RV MH or 5ver that's plenty of miles.  Don't let hitching and unhitching bother you.  Once you get the hang of it no problem

Mh was 5th wheel. More bang for the buck more room in a 5ver.  To each there own.  What ever you think you can live with get it. Your first RV will not be your last. The first sets your values and priorities for the next one.

This discussion is one that has taken place around countless campfires, and it all comes down to what works for you. I can tell you why we chose a MH, and if our situation closely matches yours, it may be helpful. We researched for several years before buying our coach and we asked a lot of questions. Each answer seemed to generate five more questions. Very few people buy the perfect coach the first time out, so don't expect to be one. Circumstances change. The coach that fit your life five years ago may not be the best choice now. The one that fits you now may not be the best one in five years.

Personal example: Both of us really liked Airstreams, but I couldn't get past the thought of having to have the bed of the truck filled with all of the stuff that can't or shouldn't be inside the trailer. We also decided that we didn't like having to go outside (with the cat) at lunch time, and having the coach at the proper temperature when we arrived at the campground was a definite plus. We chose our MH. At the time we bought it,  we thought we would spend no more than a month in any one place, with us moving 200 or so miles at a time 3-4 times per month on average. The reality is that we are staying 6-8 weeks at a time. Also we now do some work with our church group, Laborers For Christ, which means that I need to have tools along. More than once I've said "I have that tool - back at the coach." We're now thinking that having the tools and other stuff in the back of the pickup isn't such a bad idea after all. We may one day soon sell our Foretravel and buy an Airstream.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, rollindowntheroad said:

I have been researching RV's for several years for when I retire.  I want to full time.  I feel that the best decision for me is going to be a used, gas MH in the 35' range.  Here is what I wanted and looked at in both MH's and 5'vers:

1)  I am by myself so wanted easy set up and tear down.  No one to help me back up, unhook, hook up, set up and tear down. 

2) If I wanted to stop for lunch or potty break in the pouring rain a MH was much better.  Or even once getting to a location not having to get out in the rain to set up everything.

3) Wanted as much storage as possible as I will be full time.

5) I don't plan on traveling all the time, but find a location stay a month or two then move to another location.  May plan a "trip" once or twice a year.  I was also told that buy a 5'ver if you plan to park and a MH to drive.

I feel that a MH is a better choice for me.  Everyone has different reasons why they buy what they buy.  You have to decide what will best suit your needs.  Recently I have been looking at all the different manufacturers, their models, floor plans, etc.  I have found a couple that I really like the floor plans in.  Haven't purchased anything yet, still have a couple years before I retire.  Would be easier if there weren't so many options.......lol.

We were part time traveling in a 38' gas MH when we decided to sell out and go full time, so my experience is limited with a gas MH.  My biggest complaint was how it handled in moderate winds.  I ended up doing about $2,000 to suspension upgrades and it was better but still would wear me out if we were doing 250 -300 miles on windy days.  My hitch was also only rated for flat towing 5,000 pounds, which wasn't a issue for us because we only pulled an open trailer with a motorcycle. However, the V-10 did not like steep grades and I swear it would start downshifting as soon as it saw a hill coming up.

I'm not attempting to discourage your decision on getting a 35' gasser, just be sure to investigate completely as you narrow your selection down.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

The bottom line for us is that we spend probably 95% of our time living in our RV, and only 5% driving it. That makes "livability" a much higher priority for us than handling. That said, we haven't found a hill we couldn't climb to date.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

21 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

That makes "livability" a much higher priority for us than handling. That said, we haven't found a hill we couldn't climb to date.

My experience as well. And the savings in purchase price made a big difference when we had to leave the road.

We knew that we were going to be climbing the Rockies and Cascades/Sierras at least a couple of times each year.  That's one of the reasons we wanted a DP.  And the first time I engaged the exhaust brake and 'walked' down a pass, I was hooked.  Plus the ride on air bags is really great.  Again, it is such a personal decision, what is correct for one person/couple will not be right for someone else.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived