New Dental Programs

DJW

Has anyone figured out the new dental program yet?  There are so many options my head is spinning in researching this.  If I understand this correctly that Delta is going away from DOD and we will now be eligible for the Fed Employee Dental program and the enrollment period is coming up soon for 2019 coverage.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Remoandiris

Yes Delta Dental for retired military is going away effective 31 Dec 2018 and military retires can now sign up for the same dental program that Federal Employees have.  I think open enrollment opens up some time this month?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I guess it boils down to what your dental needs are.  If you have bad teeth, dentures, partials, whatever, getting an insurance plan may be smart.  If you have good teeth, just need an exam once or twice a year and maybe a crown or filling once in a while, paying cash may be better.

Where we live, dentists are always offering exams, cleaning and x-rays for new patients on the cheap.  I can also get a crown for $500 or less.  When I crunched the numbers, I was paying nearly that much AND an annual insurance premium, so I dumped the insurance.  

When we go FT, we may winter near Mexico and cross the border for our dental needs, like many others on the forum do.  Gleaning posts about that shows the savings can be substantial and the care on par with what we have in the US.

Last year I wintered in Yuma. Went to a DDS in Mexico that went to dental school in Chicago. The office was clean, the assistants were good, and the price was only $600 comparied to $3000 that the Dentist in the US wanted to charge. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, DJW said:

it's about figuring out the options on the new federal employee dental program.

Lots of information on the Federal Employees Health Benefit website. Looks like Delta offers a Nationwide Plan as do others, but I have no idea if it is the same as what was offered to Veterans. There is a plan comparison tool you could try. Looks like several choices for the Livingston, TX zip code.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 10:32 PM, DJW said:

Remoandiris

Yes Delta Dental for retired military is going away effective 31 Dec 2018 and military retires can now sign up for the same dental program that Federal Employees have.  I think open enrollment opens up some time this month?

Dennis

It's back! Delta Dental is listed in the new BENFEDS dental programs, both the standard and advanced versions are there. The standard is what we now have-until Jan 1 2019; when we must have already made our choice of dental insurance programs and vision  insurance programs under the FEDVIP rules.

Open enrollment begins Nov 12, ends Dec 10, 2018.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We've done the comparisons for about 7 of the new providers.  USAA (Cigna) came in last for us.  The one I am leaning toward is the GEHA, PPO High.  Different monthly dues depending on your zip.  DW staying with our dentist's program because no trouble teeth.  ($15 mo., free cleanings, xrays, consults, 20% off everything else).  Not going to Mex, but have in the past. 

Gary & Eloise too

'05 Allegro Bus, 40TSP

'15 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk

SKP#25612 Life Member Full-time since 1991

Ray, IN

We were able to get signed up for the Fed program in advance.  We were originally on the wrong web page but thanks to trailertraveler post of 10 Oct we were able to get on the right web page and get enrolled in the Fed Employee Benefits web page.  We are now ready for the open season starting Nov 12.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

For anyone still lacking information:

Attend Our Upcoming Webinar

Join us as we walk through the FEDVIP enrollment process and the dental and vision coverage options available to you.

November 14, 2018
Register now.

If you currently have dental or vision coverage, IT WILL NOT CARRY-OVER TO 2019!  a new enrollment is required. If you miss this open enrollment you are SOL  for 2019.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived