Sign in to follow this  
DJW

New Dental Programs

Has anyone figured out the new dental program yet?  There are so many options my head is spinning in researching this.  If I understand this correctly that Delta is going away from DOD and we will now be eligible for the Fed Employee Dental program and the enrollment period is coming up soon for 2019 coverage.

Dennis

Last time I looked at Delta, it was way too expensive for what you got.  It has been about 5 years or so since i checked it out, so not sure if that has changed.

Remoandiris

Yes Delta Dental for retired military is going away effective 31 Dec 2018 and military retires can now sign up for the same dental program that Federal Employees have.  I think open enrollment opens up some time this month?

Dennis

I guess it boils down to what your dental needs are.  If you have bad teeth, dentures, partials, whatever, getting an insurance plan may be smart.  If you have good teeth, just need an exam once or twice a year and maybe a crown or filling once in a while, paying cash may be better.

Where we live, dentists are always offering exams, cleaning and x-rays for new patients on the cheap.  I can also get a crown for $500 or less.  When I crunched the numbers, I was paying nearly that much AND an annual insurance premium, so I dumped the insurance.  

When we go FT, we may winter near Mexico and cross the border for our dental needs, like many others on the forum do.  Gleaning posts about that shows the savings can be substantial and the care on par with what we have in the US.

Last year I wintered in Yuma. Went to a DDS in Mexico that went to dental school in Chicago. The office was clean, the assistants were good, and the price was only $600 comparied to $3000 that the Dentist in the US wanted to charge. 

Hey Guys this thread is not about where you winter or what Doctor in Mexico you used it's about figuring out the options on the new federal employee dental program..

Dennis

4 hours ago, DJW said:

it's about figuring out the options on the new federal employee dental program.

Lots of information on the Federal Employees Health Benefit website. Looks like Delta offers a Nationwide Plan as do others, but I have no idea if it is the same as what was offered to Veterans. There is a plan comparison tool you could try. Looks like several choices for the Livingston, TX zip code.

Edited by trailertraveler

Trailertraveler

Thanks your posts got me headed in the right direction.  Now just need to wait until the open enrollment starts the 12th of Nov.

Dennis