Dodge 48RE Transmission

I have a 48RE in my 2006, 2500 CTD and it is having shift issues. The two pressure sensors/switches known to be the most common issue were replaced but that did not fix it. My local shop is quoting $5500 for R&R with a rebuilt unit but one having improved components.

I see lots of information on the web about the stock transmission being the weak link on these trucks, but that rebuilt and "re-manufactured" units are much improved. I also see some of these come with a large price tag and seem specially designed for trucks that have been juiced up for power.

My truck is stock with no plans to chip or otherwise modify. I tow a 25' TT that weighs ~6200 loaded.

Like to hear from anyone who has had to replace their original 48RE; what option did you choose and cost.

I recommend you visit one or more of the Dodge Diesel Forums for info *specific* to your Dodge CTD - rather than a "generic" forum (such as this).

You will find topics by engine, transmissions, etc. - by year.  usually there's also a "Help" forum - when you are looking for a more immediate rely, as the name implies.

There are lots of owners with experience with similar problems, how solved, and recommendations for reliable shops

Suggest:

Turbo Diesel Register, Diesel Truck Resource, Dodge Cummins Forum, etc.

Join one or more - and ask questions.

Back to your original question - yes I had my 48RE rebuilt by a local shop, only  upgrade was a torque converter suited for towing.  That was about 3 years ago, at a cost of approx $3K.

There are shops who specialize in "bulletproof" trannys (w/ commensurate cost).  If you go that route, make sure it has good recommendations on/from users (check on the forums).

Lastly, many local shops will do their own "in-house" rebuilds -or- install a Jasper transmission (Google Jasper) for additional $.

For a stock engine, and what you tow - (IMO) - you don't need a high-dollar tranny - but that's for you to decide after your research.  Although mine is doing fine, it still  doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Can't say for sure if I made the right choice or not.

Decisions, decisions.

Based on your plans and camper size I would do my research and find the ABSOLUTE BEST rebuilder by reputation that I could find within the driving distance I was willing to drive. I would then have them do a standard rebuild and reinstall on my transmission. In your case I see no need to have a "bulletproof" unit installed. JMHO

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I do not have the 48RE  but the 47RE 4 speed auto and OD with 4:10 rear powered by the 5.9 cummins. I did experience what you are explaining a few years ago with around 84000 miles on, now with 130000 miles with no issues. I pull around 12000 lb 5th wheel around part time camping, done the west cost 2 years ago and do my own servicing.

At the time of shifting issues trans would not shift out of 2sd I thought of my bans in the tyranny, I service oil and filter also changing the two two pressure sensors/switches inside, adjust bans, did not fix problem.

Like you, I went down to dodge was told it will take a rebuild or transmission ($6000). Got a second opinion at a transmission shop, they replace the ( 3nd sensor on out side on top of transmission, I did not know about ) problem solved, The 48RE may have that out side sensor also, maybe your issue also. It was my simple fix.

Also want to explain another issue I had, A year ago, at 40 mph the transmission would I call hunting while in 4th or OD, drop down 1 and back up 1. Back to my Auto Transmission shop, he suggested cleaning battery connection because of I guess electro magnetic frequencies interfering with the onboard computer, done the cleaning of battery terminals problem fixed.

I hope this information is helpful, my truck is a 2000 diesel with now 130,000 miles, I use Amsoil through out thats my choice only.

Good luck, happy travels, Daryl

2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 LB/cummins 5.9

02 Newmar Amercian Star 32' RLKS

On 10/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, freestoneangler said:

I have a 48RE in my 2006, 2500 CTD and it is having shift issues. The two pressure sensors/switches known to be the most common issue were replaced but that did not fix it. My local shop is quoting $5500 for R&R with a rebuilt unit but one having improved components.

I see lots of information on the web about the stock transmission being the weak link on these trucks, but that rebuilt and "re-manufactured" units are much improved. I also see some of these come with a large price tag and seem specially designed for trucks that have been juiced up for power.

My truck is stock with no plans to chip or otherwise modify. I tow a 25' TT that weighs ~6200 loaded.

Like to hear from anyone who has had to replace their original 48RE; what option did you choose and cost.

Contact Jeff Garmon of Garmon Transmissions in Ga.  He ships everywhere.  Tried and true heavy trans.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

4 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Contact Jeff Garmon of Garmon Transmissions in Ga.  He ships everywhere.  Tried and true heavy trans.

You will find recommendations for Garmon as part of your forum research.

A great source for tranny rebuilders are shops that use Goerend parts.  Dave was in the business of doing "in-house" rebuilds & shipping them, but now only supplies *quality* parts & complete kits to shops and DIY owners.

Many very satisfied customers on the various forums.  I spent a lot of time with Mike, the owner of Inglewood Trans in Fullerton, CA who *does*  build 'bulletproof' trannys with Goerend parts.  Note:  High-end parts are *not* cheap!

Goerend has a list of shops he recommends - http://goerend.com/installers

If you are considering a shop not on the list, give him a call as it's frequently updated.

For what's it worth, I have a 2006 Dodge Cummins 48RE too and had to have the transmission replaced after the tranny/engine coolant heat-exchanger sprung a leak and contaminated the transmission with coolant and destroyed the clutch discs. I opted for a heavy duty rebuild done by at a shop here in Sacramento (Stage 4 I think he called it: billet input and output shafts, multi disc torque converter, deep pan, heavier discs and valves, etc).  I'm sure it was worth the price in the long run, but more importantly it gave me was peace of mind, something I never had while second guessing the stock tranny.  

One thing I can whole heartedly recommend if you don't already have one, is an exhaust brake. I wish I would have installed one as soon as I got the truck. I know my tranny is thanking me for it. 

Oh, by the way, my sister in law owns a Dodge with the 48RE and had shifting problems - random shifting up and down - and a guy in my son's shop (who also owns a Dodge) said Dodges are notorious for doing a weird transmission thing caused by the computer glitch set off by, of all things, a loose or dirty battery terminal. My in-law had her terminals cleaned and it did the trick. Just say'in. 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.  I ended up going with a "semi-built" unit from a shop in Billing's MT.  They were recommended/used by several diesel repair shops in my immediate area.  I spoke with them directly and they offered various levels of rebuild/remanufactured.  The semi-built has an upgraded, billeted torque converter, added clutch pack, upgraded sensors/switches known to be issues, and several other improvements.  They offer a 3 year/100K warranty for parts and labor.  It is suppose to be arriving at the install shop today or tomorrow.  Hopefully it's the last one for this truck in the time I own it.

Just out of curiosity.....

"It is supposed to be arriving at the install shop today or tomorrow".

It would appear the transmission is being furnished/rebuilt at somewhere  -*other than*-  the shop in Millings MT.

If that is the case - who is the actual rebuilder/supplier? 

Might be good info for everyone.

Thanks.

Archived