Stink Bug Apocalypse

jerryneal

Stink bugs abound!  Running out of options trying to fight these little devil's.  They can flatten out and sqeeze in the flattest of cracks.  Anyone have any tips how to minimize these critters from coming into the RV and it still be habitable?

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

23 minutes ago, KnoxSwift said:

A mixture of Dawn Dish soap and warm water actually kills them.

They breath through their body, the soap clogs this up and kills them.

This is a trick that Apple Growers have used.

Thanks.  A little help.  Spray area outside?  Dump them in a bowl when they come inside?

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

The kissing bug or assassin beetle is often mistaken for stink bugs. Their range covers most of the Southern US. Be wary: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kissing+bugs+location&id=3ED6F76C0F4258101FB74555DA0CBB763BAB0A5D&FORM=IQFRBA

I've run into them here. I thought they were stink bugs because they come in several shapes and colors.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, jerryneal said:

Spray area outside?  Dump them in a bowl when they come inside?

Both methods work. Of course the bowl is a little better because it doesn't evaporate as quickly.

Bowl outside works too, with a light above it attracts them in....

The squirt bottle you can hit them through your screens too...LOL

11 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Where are you located? Our daughter-in-law tells us that they are innodated with stink bugs in KY. 

Hi Kirk.  North GA mountains waiting for the leaves to change.  Inundated would be about right.  Thought they were bad in San Marcos last year. This is the worse I've seen in a while.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

10 hours ago, RV_ said:

The kissing bug or assassin beetle is often mistaken for stink bugs. Their range covers most of the Southern US. Be wary: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kissing+bugs+location&id=3ED6F76C0F4258101FB74555DA0CBB763BAB0A5D&FORM=IQFRBA

I've run into them here. I thought they were stink bugs because they come in several shapes and colors.

Hi RV_.  Thank goodness these are the generic variety, kinda round stink bud.  No bite, just stink when you smash 'em.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

Nothing could be worse than the dreaded "love bugs"!!!!! Having grown up in the Livingston (Tx) area and spent countless hours scrubbing them off the front of my vehicles on a daily basis I absolutely believe they are one of God's plagues spoken of in the bible!!!! LOL!!! I really think that was one of the main reasons I changed occupations and moved away from the area... and only go back when they aren't swarming!!!!  

OK!  We're making progress.  Tried an old school trick to combat sand gnats at the beach.  I took a couple of dryer sheets.  The more perfume smell, the better.  I wiped the outside of all of the window frames, screens and the rubber gaskets around the slides.  So far so good.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

19 minutes ago, jerryneal said:

OK!  We're making progress.  Tried an old school trick to combat sand gnats at the beach.  I took a couple of dryer sheets.  The more perfume smell, the better.  I wiped the outside of all of the window frames, screens and the rubber gaskets around the slides.  So far so good.

I'm going to try that. We're in Virginia and we've been using the soap and water spray. I'll add this dryer sheets to the mix. Between them and the gnats I'm about ready to lose it.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

I had a horrible inundation of Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs and ladybugs about four years ago.  I was parked in Illinois near a field where they were taking in soy beans in the fall. These stink bugs are an introduced pest and are shaped like a shield.  I was told that they leave the fields where they do a ton of damage in the fall and look for a nice, cozy warm place to spend the winter--in this case, my motorhome.  For the first couple of months, I was catching up to five a day, after that more like one a day, but for several months. 

Here is the Orkin site with a photo:  https://www.orkin.com/other/stink-bugs/

They are almost impossible to find once they get into a tiny crack, but they will occasionally come out for a stroll through through RV or home.  When they do, do NOT pick them up and release them outside because they cause damage to crops and gardens!  What I did was keep a ziplock bag handy just for stink bugs.  They are really dumb and easy to pick up with a tissue, so pick them up without squeezing them and releasing the stink, then put them into the ziplock bag and seal it.  Keep adding bugs and finally dispose of it in the trash or in a fire.  They will have died by then, hopefully. 

WikiHow suggests spraying with soapy water:  https://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Stink-Bug

The good news is that I found out that they cannot lay eggs or reproduce inside, so you will not have a bunch of baby stink bugs in the spring.  I did spray into the weep holes in all of my windows, and behind one bookcase.  I also sprayed behind my drawers and cabinets where I could. 

I have not camped in an agricultural area in fall since then, so have not had any more bugs.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:11 AM, jerryneal said:

Hi RV_.  Thank goodness these are the generic variety, kinda round stink bud.  No bite, just stink when you smash 'em.

Great!, Many are unaware of Chagas disease and may even have it. But for years I thought that the dangerous beetles here were just stink bugs because that's what everyone else calls them. I was totally unaware they were all over more than half the US!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=assasin+beetle+disease&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

19 hours ago, Solo18 said:

I had a horrible inundation of Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs

I also have a inundation of the Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. I was parked a close as 50 yards from a corn field in NW Illinois. These Stink Buds are not as bad a pest as the Lady Bug looking bug. Also these stink seem easier to control as these can't hide as easy.

I used a Bug Fogger Bomb with the slides in, and got positive results. Now a week later we are parked 200 miles north and finding about one stink bug a day. Maybe tomorrow I will set off another bomb since.

In Northern Wisc and U.P. were the leaves are pretty with still lots to turn yet.

Clay with 41ft Fifth Wheel.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived