Almost ready to take the plunge. few questions

RachelLynn

Brand new member. My hubby doesn't do a  lot on the web so I'm the research person. He retired this summer but we are not ready to rv full time. We just purchased a used truck: 2017 1500 GMC Sierra 6.2l crew cab. He doesn't want a huge rig to pull and we have toured the Dutchmen factory in IN and love the new(2018) Dutchmen Aerolite Astoria 2513 (total of 30 ft.). I have been watching them for months and there is a dealer 3 hrs away from us that has quoted us one out the door at 40% off of "retail" (the only one available in our state).  Our truck is very capable ( as far as we can figure) of pulling this rig. Before we make the purchase though, we need to get a hitch and have it installed, and that's a whole nother research thing. Whew. I just got a quote from a local place and am in sticker shock... a 16k curt installed for about $1700. Any suggestions here? We have "rv'd" some in an airstream that we have sold a few years back. Bought a huge 42 ft fiver and never used it before selling as Hubby didn't like how huge it was (long story). Anyways, thanks for any advice that doesn't overwhelm me :-)

How did you determine your truck has the capacity to safely pull and stop that fifthwheel?

40% off retail is a typical range of "savings".  But in the RV world, it is nearly impossible to determine what the REAL price is.  Lots of smoke and mirrors in RV pricing.

If your husband is handy, he could probably install the hitch himself.  That hitch is probably $800 - 1000.  The rest is labor.  You could check Craigslist for a used hitch and just buy the install kit at etrailer.com  That is what I did years ago. 

Good luck.

Who gave you the quote for the install? If an RV dealer try someone else. Uhaul or your mechanic would probably do the install. Truck seems small to tow that rig, just gut feel. The problem is never towing, it is stopping. Also, cargo capacity seems low, hitch weight seems high.

Is the truck set up for towing with a towing package from the factory?

You need to do some more research and get a better feel for numbers.

Yeah, we're crunching more numbers. Finding out that the problem is is that it's a shortbed. We would be at max capacity plus a little for the payload capacity. It does have a max tow pkg and air shocks on it. We would have to have a sliding hitch (& revolver or sidewinder) installed and possibly have the suspension beefed up?? We love this truck and will probably go back to the drawing board and see if there are fifth's out there designed to be pulled in a short bed 1500?

Here's a fifth wheel weight/towing calculator that should help you with the math.  Enter all the information for your truck and the fifth wheel you're interested in.  On the fifth wheel, since you don't have it already, you won't be able to enter the *actual* weights, so you'll have to enter the ones from the brochure (which usually don't include any options that may have been installed by the manufacturer and certainly not by the dealer):

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, RachelLynn said:

and possibly have the suspension beefed up?? 

FYI, even with the suspension beefed up, that doesn't increase the trucks towing/carrying capacity.  The rear may not sag as much, but the frame/axles/brakes/everything else still have the same capability as they did before.

Archived