Our first 2-month outing out west

khb

My wife and I are enjoying our first long trip in our Class C Jayco, traveling west from Michigan. We are on our 20th day and are located in Estes Park CO, at the doorstep of the Rocky Mountain National Park. We have averaged $20.55 for the first 22 nights. We stayed at a motel only once. We stayed at 3 different Walmarts and one gas station for free, as well as staying five nights with friends we wanted to see. The other times were at county parks, Passport America parks, a dude ranch and one Good Sams RV park. We are glad we started in September, after the heat of summer lifted and after kids were back in school.

Highlights were camping on the Mississippi River, in Custer City SD, in a city park in Guernsey WY and here in Estes Park Co. Two or three days were needed in each place.  

We have had many magical moments, such as seeing elk wandering all around our RV park here in Estes Park CO. People are helpful and friendly. We could never have done this without the RV. 

1-1/2 ton Toyota pickup. Bought a Hyundai Elantra (manual transmission) as our future toad. Next, the motorhome to pull it!

Keep on enjoying the ride... A great country to see. And IMO, you meet some of the nicest people on the road. (Occasionally not so nice too, but still seem to be the exception!!). 

Have a blast, travel safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We are going to Arches National Monument in Utah, followed by other spectacular places there. We may end up staying on some BLM lands there. We have a liking for electrical hookups during the cold nights, but we are prepared to warm up our space using a Mr Heater from Buddy. We can take in our own water and haul it out again when we leave. We are used to no hookups, having done it in Africa, but it wasn't cold there.  

1-1/2 ton Toyota pickup. Bought a Hyundai Elantra (manual transmission) as our future toad. Next, the motorhome to pull it!

We are heading out on Oct 21 for 2 months (from MN) and anticipate a similar average cost (low $20). I already have 2 - 14 day stays booked at the RGV and Mesa AZ. Will also spend 6 nights in Summerdale AL at the Rainbow Plantation. We too find this a great time to camp for the reasons you mentioned. Dry camping for a night or two is fine as well, although we are not long term boondockers (no solar and small tanks). Enjoy and thanks for the post.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, khb said:

We are going to Arches National Monument in Utah, followed by other spectacular places there. We may end up staying on some BLM lands there. We have a liking for electrical hookups during the cold nights, but we are prepared to warm up our space using a Mr Heater from Buddy. We can take in our own water and haul it out again when we leave. We are used to no hookups, having done it in Africa, but it wasn't cold there.  

While visiting the Arches area you should check out Dead horse State Park.  I was told by a relative to see it and it was worth it.  Also north of Arches on a road to the east is some good BLM land to boondock, don't remember the name of the road, but check out boondocking sites and you should be able to find it.  We boondocked there last year at this time and there were a lot of rigs there, but a lot of places to park.  Also the dirt road leads you to the north side of Arches NP.  I couldn't go further then the boundary to the park because I was on a quad and it said for lic. vehicles only.  Also just before the boundary there are dinosaur tracks with a plaque talking about them.  Have fun, we sure did.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

If you don't have a CO alarm do get one when using unvented heaters inside the confined space of an RV. They will also cause a bunch of condensation inside on windows, walls and closets.

Excerpt:

"What pollutants are released into a room when an unvented heater is used? The main combustion products formed when gas burns are:

• Carbon dioxide (CO2), a non-toxic gas formed during complete combustion of carbon based fuels.
  • Carbon monoxide (CO), a toxic gas formed if combustion is incomplete.
  • Nitrogen dioxide, a toxic gas.
  • Water vapor.

What about carbon monoxide risks? CO, a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating poison, is highly toxic and can cause death or permanent brain and organ damage. CO poisons more people than all other poisons combined. When properly maintained and adjusted, gas heaters produce low amounts of carbon monoxide. One cause of carbon monoxide poisoning from unvented heaters– incomplete combustion caused by lack of air–has been virtually eliminated in newer heaters by use of Oxygen Depletion Sensors (ODS). Unfortunately, the ODS does not respond to incomplete combustion caused by improper gas pressure; dust, dirt, or rust on the burner; incorrect placement of artificial logs in a gas fireplace; or disruption of the burner by air currents. CO poisoning from unvented heaters remains a concern."

Source: https://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension-and-outreach/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-unvented-gas-space-heating-appliances-aen-204/

"Using your living room as a chimney

There are two problems when we allow those combustion products be exhausted into our living room.

The first is that, along with water vapor and carbon dioxide, there are some combustion by-products that aren’t good for us. With an unvented gas space heater, the combustion process is very complete — 99.9% efficiency or higher, according to manufacturers — but that tenth or hundredth of a percent can be pretty nasty, containing constituents as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, soot, and unburned hydrocarbons.

Carbon monoxide is toxic (even deadly) at high levels and causes long-term health problems at low levels. Nitrogen dioxide, at even minute levels, may affect our immune systems and increase our susceptibility to respiratory infections. An oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) on unvented gas heaters and fireplaces shuts off the gas flow if the oxygen level drops below 18% (an indicator that not enough fresh air is getting into the house), but the ODS does not detect carbon monoxide or other hazardous emissions.

The second problem with venting combustion products indoors is that even the “clean” combustion products aren’t so good to introduce into our homes in large quantities. High levels of carbon dioxide make us feel drowsy and may cause eye irritation. Large quantities of water vapor released into our houses will raise the humidity level and can result in condensation on windows, concrete slabs, or areas of wall with “thermal bridges” through them. This moisture can result in mold growth, induce allergies and asthma among homeowners, and cause rot. The tighter the house, the greater the risk. A 30,000 Btu/hour unvented gas heater will produce about a third of a gallon of water per hour — about seven gallons per day if operated around the clock."

Source: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/avoid-unvented-gas-heaters

Letters From Vent-Free Gas Fireplace Owners

http://www.dukefire.com/articles/article/3941815/60120.htm

As long as the laws of physics are not repealed my health is too important to me to take such an unnecessary risk. I quit smoking for my health, and don't use heaters without a vent to the outside for the same reason. Smokers are walking around denying that the smoke is as poisonous as it is too. Lots of folks will not tolerate second hand smoke themselves yet use unvented heaters in their RVs?

It's a free country and many folks are willing to take those risks and actually believe that unvented heaters don't produce the same amount of toxins as vented heaters produce, the only difference is you aren't breathing them inside your RV or home.

Safe Travels!

I hope everyone stays safe this winter regardless.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 10/3/2018 at 7:11 PM, khb said:

My wife and I are enjoying our first long trip in our Class C Jayco, traveling west from Michigan. We are on our 20th day and are located in Estes Park CO, at the doorstep of the Rocky Mountain National Park. We have averaged $20.55 for the first 22 nights. We stayed at a motel only once. We stayed at 3 different Walmarts and one gas station for free, as well as staying five nights with friends we wanted to see. The other times were at county parks, Passport America parks, a dude ranch and one Good Sams RV park. We are glad we started in September, after the heat of summer lifted and after kids were back in school.

Highlights were camping on the Mississippi River, in Custer City SD, in a city park in Guernsey WY and here in Estes Park Co. Two or three days were needed in each place.  

We have had many magical moments, such as seeing elk wandering all around our RV park here in Estes Park CO. People are helpful and friendly. We could never have done this without the RV. 

Glad that you are enjoying your trip. I did not know that the Mississippi river ran through Custer, SD.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, Fulltimer51 said:

Glad that you are enjoying your trip. I did not know that the Mississippi river ran through Custer, SD.

There's a comma separating those two things on his list.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We stayed 2 nights in a motel in Grand Junction CO to help me shake a bad cold. It was very helpful to sit in a  hot bathtub with the room steamy. This is one answer to the questions about why we occasionally check in to motels. 

It was still a tough decision to move on today, but we did it anyway. We are now camped at ACT Campground, a Passport America place in Moab UT: They are full tomorrow, so we will be going into the Arches National Park tomorrow, perhaps for a multi-day visit. The Moab Field Office of BLM has been restricting camping to campgrounds or to designated sites. I have high hopes of seeing them direct us to a campground when we interact with them tomorrow. Our preference is to be within range of vault toilets, but we may have to forego that privilege before long. 

We have our 150 watt solar panel so we could boondock if we were in the mood. Also I have augmented our supply of fresh water, filling a black plastic receptacle that is used for capturing engine oil. It is just the right size to sit in the bottom of our tub.

My wife came in from a tour around the park and exclaimed about how beautiful it all is. She has never been here and is ready to make some adjustments in her lifestyle if it means staying longer here. 

The trip to Custer City SD was really great and meant we could see Mount Rushmore up close and learn a lot about the history of our great country. (My favorite president, Coolidge, inaugurated the work.) We left just before they got 5 inches of snow.

Thanks for your interest and encouragement! 

We are limited to staying in camps with electricity. When temps drop to 43 degrees F, we must use our Soleil Digital Ceramic Heater to stay in the mid-60s. When we are able to sleep without that, we will definitely consider boondocking. Without shore power, we would have to run the generator all night or run our Portable BUddy "Mr. Heater" with a window cracked open to let out the vapor and gas. We haven't figured out how to run our furnace, so that is not an option. That, too, would require shore-power, since it has a blower.

By the way, the parks and national monuments in Utah are still in what they call "high season", since the temps are comparatively good (43 to 65) and there are enough retirees and home-schoolers to fill the RV parks at nondiscounted prices.It is brisk and there is a lot of cloud cover, so it is ideal for hiking (and biking?).

1 hour ago, khb said:

We haven't figured out how to run our furnace, so that is not an option. That, too, would require shore-power, since it has a blower.

Have you tried the furnace? It operated on 12V from the battery, as does your water pump, the water heater controls and the refrigerator controls. Like the water heater, it needs propane and 12V power to work. Most of them just have an on/off switch on the thremostat and you set the temperature you want and let it be. The size and condition of the battery will determine how long the furnace will run on the battery, particularly if you only have one. As long as it isn't very cold a single battery should be enough to supply the furnace all night but in very cold weather you may need two batteries. Using the furnace does require more 12V power than the other appliances so you will probably need to charge the battery daily if using it. Even your lights use 12V from the battery.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi Kirk,

Last night we pulled into Gallup NM and stayed at the Walmart there. Heating was Through the Mr. Buddy, and it did serve us well. We have a digital CO meter from Kidder that gives us the peace of mind to go to sleep. The small bottle needs to be changed in the middle of the night when internal temps go to the low 50's. Then we moved over to USA RV Park and got a space for a week. It is maxed out now because of the Hot Air Balloon event in Albuquerque. So we were blessed to have this FHU with 30 amps that suits our needs.

A few minutes before opening your helpful comments, my wife asked me why we were using the ceramic heater rather than the furnace. I thought that this time MIGHT be different and that it would work for us, and it did! I am so relieved! So we are going to wake up warm tomorrow when the temperature is supposed to drop to 38 degrees here in Gallup. The ceramic heater may never kick in, depending on the quality of the furnace.

It is great having shore power, so we don't have to worry about heat. The one coach battery we have has not been a problem to us, but I doubt it will power the furnace blower or the ceramic heater enough to keep us in the 70's.

BTW, we are going to be renting a car for the time we are here at USA RV Park so we can travel around to the sights here in the Four Corners area. Our MH has a powerful gas engine and takes us wherever we ask it to go, but it only gets 9.3 mpg. It is the Ford 460 engine.

If you are going to be  several days in the four corners region, I suggest Hovenweep (where I am currently camped), Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges, and Valley of the Gods as starters.  If you want hookups and a relatively cheap more central location I recommend Blue Mountain RV in Blanding.  Be absolutely sure to visit the Blue Mt trading post and the affiliated trading post in Bluff.  Both have high end native jewelry.  If you are interested in ancient dwellings and artifacts Blanding is dead center with hundreds of class 2 and class 3 sites nearby.

While we were in Utah we went to Bluff and visited the museum there, run by descendants of the pioneers who braved all to settle that part of Utah.

I had to spend a week in Gallup recovering from a cold  with fever and we could not do as much as we would have wanted to do. We went to Perry Null's to look for a Navaho ring and couldn't find one to our liking. We also went to the Hubbell trading post in Ganado and to the Window Rock Navaho government offices, eating some authentic mutton stew and fry bread. We also took a short trip to Red Rock and saw the Navaho RV park there. Finally, we took drives into the Cibola national forest, and to Jamestown NM, where we visited some friends.

We are now on a 3-day trip to Hollister MO to stay at Turkey Creek RV Village. It will be our first visit to an Escapee park. We will see how long we stay there to rest and recover before going on the remainder of our trip: seeing the mounds in Collinsville IL and the Lincoln Library and Museum in Springfield IL.

We enjoyed our stops at the mounds and the Lincoln sites.

While in Colllinsville you might want to stop and see the world's largest catsup bottle. http://www.catsupbottle.com

If you also go through Peoria you can check out the huge scale model of the solar system. https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11386

These things can make for an interesting change of pace if you enjoy this type of thing.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived