Miller205

Bicycle covers

I would like to cover our bicycles as we travel (attached to the back of the toad) to keep the rain/road grime off of them. My concern is that the constant 65mph wind would quickly shred a typical cover. Any experience with heavy duty covers that can withstand the wind and other elements?

2 hours ago, Miller205 said:

I would like to cover our bicycles as we travel (attached to the back of the toad) to keep the rain/road grime off of them. My concern is that the constant 65mph wind would quickly shred a typical cover. Any experience with heavy duty covers that can withstand the wind and other elements?

We would also.  Our (2) bikes are mounted on the rear of our tow car and, like u stated, can get pretty nasty when towing in nasty weather.:wacko:

2 hours ago, jc2 said:

We would also.  Our (2) bikes are mounted on the rear of our tow car and, like u stated, can get pretty nasty when towing in nasty weather.:wacko:

Maybe the best solution

Don't travel in nasty weather . If you choose to do so , simply pay the price .

I haven't seen a single cover that has done a decent job . They either get ripped apart or still allow crap to flow under the cover and soil the goods . Either case is like chasing dreams in a tornado . 

There is one cover that does work : An enclosed trailer . ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

5 hours ago, Miller205 said:

Any experience with heavy duty covers that can withstand the wind and other elements?

My very talented wife made covers for our bikes from rip-stop nylon like modern tents are made from. We towed using them for about 5 years or possibly longer and never had to replace them. Any awning maker should be able to make some for you. 

Wouldn't this be kind of like RV covers when stationary or automobile front end covers? RV covers had a reputation for whipping the RV doing damage to it and automobile front end covers have a reputation for getting grit inside that then scrapes the automobile. Might you be better off to just hose down the bikes on arrival? Cheaper, too.

Linda

43 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Wouldn't this be kind of like RV covers when stationary or automobile front end covers? RV covers had a reputation for whipping the RV doing damage to it and automobile front end covers have a reputation for getting grit inside that then scrapes the automobile. Might you be better off to just hose down the bikes on arrival? Cheaper, too.

Linda

All good reasons, which leads me to consider a hard shell case. I AM, admittedly, a LITTLE finicky about my bike.

I went to WalMart and bought an extra large bbq grill cover.  I put some grommets around the bottom and use a rope threaded through the grommets to snug it up.  We've been using it about a year now, and it's held up fairly well.  About two feet of one of the seams did come apart a while back, but that was a quick fix on the wife's sewing machine.

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

Wouldn't this be kind of like RV covers when stationary or automobile front end covers? RV covers had a reputation for whipping the RV doing damage to it and automobile front end covers have a reputation for getting grit inside that then scrapes the automobile.

As I mentioned before, we used ours for 5 years and never had that experience. With the multi-speed bikes of today, it is much better to protect them from the road grit and grime.  Our two bikes were on a bike rack mounted to the hitch receiver of the RV-V while being towed by our class A. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

We have had very good luck with this cover on our vertically hung bikes.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J02JW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with a strap that went clear around the bikes and ladder but I add a couple burgundies to keep the cover from flopping about.   Keeps the bike clean for the most part.  Have been on the Alcan a number of times and the only issue has been where the handlebar brake lever rubbed a hole (patched up from the inside with Gorilla tape) but now slide layers of flexible conduit over these.  No problems since.  Highly recommend this cover.

Later,

J