Toilet paper...

Oregonrain

We use the old boating adage 'if it doesn't go thru your body it doesn't go in the toilet'.  

We use whatever paper feels good then toss it in a devoted trash bucket. 

Also we have never used chemicals in the black tank - maybe a bit of dish soap now and again.   A good washing out once and awhile works great for us.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, colddog15 said:

We use the old boating adage 'if it doesn't go thru your body it doesn't go in the toilet'.  

We use whatever paper feels good then toss it in a devoted trash bucket. 

Also we have never used chemicals in the black tank - maybe a bit of dish soap now and again.   A good washing out once and awhile works great for us.

No thanks . I can't undo the imagination of the odor ... :(

Goes around , comes around .

29 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Down the tube works better yet .  No muss , no fuss .;)

Whether or not "down the tube" works better depends on the size of your tank. If you have to dump twice a week using the "down the tube method" do you think that is better? I preferred the "use a bag but dump less often" method since I had to pack up to move to the dump then sit in the line at La Posa South each time. Like most other things relating to RVing, there is no ONE right way to do this either.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Whether or not "down the tube" works better depends on the size of your tank. If you have to dump twice a week using the "down the tube method" do you think that is better? I preferred the "use a bag but dump less often" method since I had to pack up to move to the dump then sit in the line at La Posa South each time. Like most other things relating to RVing, there is no ONE right way to do this either.

Linda Sand

Of course , what you said is true . 

It was our choice to buy a large black tank so we wouldn't have 'worry' . 

I have to ask , exactly how much room does TP take in any black tank ?

And , like Kirk suggests , this is a rather odoriferous thread . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

We have been using Kirkland (Costco) brand almost six years with never a problem. Also use Sea-Zyme in the black and galley tanks. Seems to help with odors.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

Use 1 square of whatever tissue trips your trigger. Poke your finger through it, wipe, pull tissue off finger to clean. Problem solved.

For those squeamish about putting TP in the trash, don't ever go to Mexico, even walk across the border to shop.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

For those squeamish about putting TP in the trash, don't ever go to Mexico, even walk across the border to shop.

Also, don't go to many Asian or Middle Eastern countries.

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

While it is true that there are many countries, Asian included, where there exists less than sanitary conditions for "dropping the boys off at the pool", in this county in today's RV world everything that comes out of your body from the waste down should be going in the black tank, along with whatever you decide is a good toilet paper.  Anything less is a personal choice and not the norm.

I had an uncle Sam once who paid for all my clothing, fed me, taught me to dig a cat hole for doing my business in, but does that mean that 45 to 50 years later I would still use that part of my training?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

Anything less is a personal choice and not the norm.

But your "norm" isn't necessarily someone else's norm.

We've traveled to many Central and South American countries, and the "norm" there is that TP goes into the trash can.  For folks who have never done it, it seems gross (i.e. "...the imagination of the odor."), but it is a simple and effective way to reduce solids going into a holding tank, septic tank, etc.  And in our experience, not gross or smelly at all. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

11 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

But your "norm" isn't necessarily someone else's norm.

We've traveled to many Central and South American countries, and the "norm" there is that TP goes into the trash can.  For folks who have never done it, it seems gross (i.e. "...the imagination of the odor."), but it is a simple and effective way to reduce solids going into a holding tank, septic tank, etc.  And in our experience, not gross or smelly at all. 

That may very well be the norm in those countries, I know when I was in Viet Nam it was normal to see folks dumping right on the side of the road.  It is not normal behavior in this country my friend.  If you have a good working holding tank then there is no reason why you need to reduce solids going into it.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

6 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

If you have a good working holding tank then there is no reason why you need to reduce solids going into it.

Define "good", please. Our first motorhome had a 9 gallon, working, black tank for the use of two people. Would you find that to be good with no reason to reduce solids going into it?

BTW, 9-10 gallon is normal for class b rigs.

Linda

All the advice about black tank usage i have read states that one should use generous amounts of water.  Now think about the number of rolls of TP that one would use before dumping....1? 2 would be a lot for us.  The volume of that TP in the tank would be dispersed in that large volume of water so it should not be a problem for any size tank. Regardless of tank size the ratio of TP/water should be the same but dumps per week will vary.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

1 hour ago, orca said:

All the advice about black tank usage i have read states that one should use generous amounts of water.  Now think about the number of rolls of TP that one would use before dumping....1? 2 would be a lot for us.  The volume of that TP in the tank would be dispersed in that large volume of water so it should not be a problem for any size tank. Regardless of tank size the ratio of TP/water should be the same but dumps per week will vary.

Good point - a full roll of TP has about the same volume as a quart of water.  Insignificant, even in a 9 gallon tank.

Most of the black tank problems boil down to not using enough water, or leaving the valve open (thus, NO water) when hooked up.

3 hours ago, OregonJim said:

Good point - a full roll of TP has about the same volume as a quart of water.  Insignificant, even in a 9 gallon tank.

A quart of water in a 9 gallon tank is way more significant than you realize. Or are you truly starting with an empty tank? Not putting any water in it before using it? Then having two people use it full-time because boondocking doesn't tend to come with public toilets.

It's pretty easy to be an expert on something of which you only have theoretical experience. How about you fill your black tank with fresh water until there's only about 8 gallons of space left in it and see how comfortable you are with that? 

Linda

9 minutes ago, sandsys said:

A quart of water in a 9 gallon tank is way more significant than you realize. Or are you truly starting with an empty tank? Not putting any water in it before using it? Then having two people use it full-time because boondocking doesn't tend to come with public toilets.

It's pretty easy to be an expert on something of which you only have theoretical experience. How about you fill your black tank with fresh water until there's only about 8 gallons of space left in it and see how comfortable you are with that? 

Linda

Been there, done that.  I had a Class C for about 10 years.  10 gallon tank.  Never had any issues, other than breaking the handle on the valve once.  95% boondocking.  I wouldn't call that "theoretical experience".  And yes, I ALWAYS start off with my tanks filled with enough water to cover the bottom inch or two, regardless of tank size.  

1 hour ago, OregonJim said:

Been there, done that.  I had a Class C for about 10 years.  10 gallon tank.  Never had any issues, other than breaking the handle on the valve once.  95% boondocking.  I wouldn't call that "theoretical experience".  And yes, I ALWAYS start off with my tanks filled with enough water to cover the bottom inch or two, regardless of tank size.  

Solo or with a wife?

Linda

Anyone ever have s&b dwelling non rv guests aboard and a person who is a setter not a pointer needs to use the facilities and there’s this resounding RAAAaaatle rattle rattle noise as 14 feet a bum fluff is propelled off the roll by the “bat with the hand” or “yard to arms length” method?

Now how you going to fit that in a ziplock bag?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

17 hours ago, sandsys said:

Define "good", please. Our first motorhome had a 9 gallon, working, black tank for the use of two people. Would you find that to be good with no reason to reduce solids going into it?

BTW, 9-10 gallon is normal for class b rigs.

Linda

That is interesting that you would full time and boondock using only a 9 gallon black tank, however I think you lost sight of the OPs original post.  They are going to be in a DP or a Class A gas coach.  I seriously doubt either one of those RVs will have a 9 gallon tank.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Anyone ever have s&b dwelling non rv guests aboard and a person who is a setter not a pointer needs to use the facilities and there’s this resounding RAAAaaatle rattle rattle noise as 14 feet a bum fluff is propelled off the roll by the “bat with the hand” or “yard to arms length” method?

Now how you going to fit that in a ziplock bag?

A bit of 'education' for guests.   As an ex-boater one of the first things we did when a person came on board was 'educate' guest on the do's and don'ts in and around the boat.     Trust me when I say removing clogged black tank  errata next or on to a floating dock is not high on my list of enjoyment.  

Archived